How Has Green Day Influenced You, For The Good Or Bad ?

Idiot_Basketcase

I used to play grunge or hardcore punk music, but when my friend joined our band he showed us his early Green Day albums and i was like . . . wow, this is catchy, who gives a shit if its mainstream, it has meaning haha . . . . but that was insomniac and dookie he showed us

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of Green Day I become more selfconfident...

I cant really tell u why...its just...they opened my eyes concerning beeing not like everybody else...

and their music is really important for me and become a big part of my life, cause i listen to it really much and i have the feeling that the most songs could be written by myself...much of the situations with which they deal in their songs i know... (does anybody understand what i wanna tell u? my english is not really good, sorry)

and they brought me to the rock and punk music...before i was such a teenie girl like everybody else..i was afraid of being different and so i wear the same clothes like everybody and listen to the same music...and now..i try to be different, i try to be more outgoing...more open for other and different people...

and yeah..im happy with it

how has GD helped you through your life? When I was battling depression before I got meds the only thing that would bring my mood up was singing along to and blasting outloud their music and when things go wrong I know its gonna be alright because I know their music will help me through. cheezy I know, but music can do alot!! :happy:

Green Day helped me a bit when my aunt and cat died.. When I got their record as a Christmas present that year the song Wake Me Up When Spetember Ends helped me understand I was not the only one losing someone to the terrible disease cancer.

They help me when I'm sad and depressed too...

Like now.

They definetely changed my life. I used to be a hardcore Coldplay fan...ahem.

They also introduced me to totally cool people. And they changed my attitude toawrds life. I just had a complete overhaul. It was time for a change. And I guess they sorta...sparked it..I dunno....sounds kinda lame...

Being ever up for a good ol' song, I love anything that sounds good when played really loudly, and I can sing along to.

I mean 'sing' in the loosest possible terms.

As for the actual topic question, they've not influenced me to do anything much.

this time last year, i was probably considered on the brink of destruction. i wrote poems about death, and i couldnt stop my poetry writing. it got worse and worse. i dont know why everything was so bad, but i couldnt remember. i was only like 12 - 13, so i wasnt really exactly the person to know about music, i had heard of Green Day when i was little, but never really bought an album. i will never forget that day in January when i went to Tower Records and bought American Idiot. it truly changed my life. i listened to Jesus Of Suburbia all the way through, later finding out to do the same with the album to get the full feel, not knowing it was a "story album" at the time.

the only thing that was the greatest day last year besides seeing Green Day live was buying American Idiot, and hearing "Holiday", finding the lyrics online as soon as i got home, printing them out, and writing "BEST SONG EVER" and that sheet of paper hasnt been taken off my wall since that day.

i truly believe i'm a better person because of Green Day, and i want to work for Adeline one day, since that is a passionate dream of mine, and i never want to leave the punk rock scene. =]

uhh...i guess show me how to be who i am and not give a fuck....i guess depression too...but i wasnt suicidal and all that crap....so they really didnt "save" my life :P

you dont give out fuck? :dry: you just gave me fuck yesterday :huh:

Guest RhetoricalGrasshopper

You know, I totally started this trend of making this topic.

And now it's being done for the 3rd time.

greenday has made me better looking.... lmao, nah!

hehe

nah, i guess they've sorta made me more of an active citizen (o my s&e teacher would be proud of me), like im now more aware that some people out there would be using me, and i cant let that happen , and that not just of AI, but most of the other songs too!

n i guess, im a whole lot happier than i was, i mean i started listening to em like 4 years ago, but like, seriously i was one suicidal little 10 year old, i was like totally depressed and waking up wanting to die, but im all good now, and gd music, just makes me happy :D:thumbsup: lol

~they give me something to look forward to fter a shity day at school

~they give me this attitude like, for example, my mum likes me to shop in 'gurly' stores, so when i pass the cheer-leader bitches and all that i used to be like 'o fuck, theyre comming this way' and i would go hide for fear of being criticized[sp] , now i walk by and under my breath i go "your a fat bitch and fuck you b/c you think your better than everyone else b/c your a perfect robot whore, but i am a minority in my own world without superfishial[sp] bitches such as yourself......" etc. sometimes i say it aloud if theyre pushing me or something.....

~i wear my GD shirt to get me through mondays b/c i know that is when everyone is like "ahhhh, nikki, im moving b/c my dad is a molester" or "nikki, dont tell anyone, but im not supposed to be with my dad b/c of what he did to me and my mum years ago." oh, and my favorite monday saying is: "you know Green Day sucks right? ya i taught the drummer everything he knows." to that i say "well he didnt learn very well did he? he still cant stick his head up his ass like you....." or something like that. ya i find it fun on mondays with GD by my side (or on my shirt)

~also they got me into gutars

Back in June, I was really struggling with who I was. I was on the brink of trying to change myself to fit in for once in my life. Then, school ended and I had to kill two weeks. I was listening to KROQ 24/7. They played Green Day a lot. I finally decided to buy American Idiot. I instantly fell in love with it. I bought the other CDs gradually.

Green Day pulled me back into the real world. They made me realize I needed to be who I was and not care about what others thought. Green Day makes me feel good. I'm not a happy person at all. Green Day is my ray of happiness in the midst of misery. They helped me get passed the death of someone close to me. They have done me a lot of good. And for once, the good they have done overshadows the bad I see in my life.

How has Green Day influenced me...hmmm. I feel like I need to write an essay or something, lol.

I kinda freaked out around the time of my 25th birthday, when I kinda had a quarter-life crisis. I realised that I had been going with the flow of life a bit too much, and really started missing all of the fun I'd had when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I mean, Matt and I were so close to convincing ourselves that it was time to settle down and start a family, and when I think about that now, I see what a huge mistake it would've been.

Anyway, I've always loved Green Day, from back in the Dookie days (during which I was in high school). They didn't sound like anything else that was going on back then, at least not on the radio. It was all grunge and NIN. And Matt had been a fan since back in the Lookout! days, so I'd picked up alot of their history just from being with him.

He was uber excited about AI coming out, and it got me excited too. So yeah, my husband really brought the fan lurking inside of me out again. I joined this forum one day on a whim, and meeting all of you guys has caused me to become more myself than I've ever been.

Rediscovering my love for this band has opened my eyes to so much in the past year or so. I've discovered so much new music thanks to them, met so many new people, and had so many great experiences that I never would have if I'd continued living the way I was.

Ok, yeah...sappiness over!

well, definetlly stopped me from caring what other people thought about me and such. but they definetly influenced my musical taste also. i mean i WAS into good charlotte and simple plan(eww) and than green day, but than i watched 100% green day and mike said the most influential album was london calling by the clash and billie said ziggy stardust by david bowie, so than i got into the clash, and started watching those documentaries on ifc about punk, and got into sex pistols and the buzzcocks and stuff, so yeah they got me into good music.

Well listening to Green Day totally changed my taste in music for one thing.

It also changed my outlook on life I guess. I'll make a list.

- I question things more. I'm just more critical of everything

- I'm less materialistic. I'm happy with little things, or more plain, simple things.

- I'm not as afraid of what people think of me. Although I do still care.

- I'm less afraid to stand up for myself; I'm not as embarassed about who I am.

yah.

I had a major meltdown in my life, resulting in panic attacks and terrible feelings of isolation. Nothing helped me - not friends, not philosophy, nothing could reach me - 'torn out of reality' is a line written by someone who knows what he's talking about.

I'd never heard of Green DAy - well, I did, but I knew nothing about them. My niece was into them, and I remember asking her if they were something to do with the environment!

One day I was in a car with a load of little kids in the back seat, and they started singing 'Basketcase'; well, I was laughing - 'I went to a whore, she said my life's a bore'! - but then the whole fucking thing fell into place, and I realised it wasn't a funny song as such, but someone putting that kind of spin on some scarey shit in their own life.

I went and I bought albums, and I read lyrics. And folks, they saved me, just like others have said. It's hard to explain that to the non-fan, does anyone else find that? Everyone else just sees GD pulling faces on posters and being wacky, now with the 'fuck Bush' thing thrown in, but not the deep stuff.

Words to live your life by-

All her doubts were someone else's point of view

Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go

I don't feel any shame, I won't apologize

I really took the last one on board; up to then, I never realized how much time I spent apologizing for my existence.

A free-for-all, fuck 'em all, you are your own sight!

It`s because of Green Day that I play guitar :blink: haha...and when I was alone,like all the time, listening to Green Day was the only light in my life..kinda like...uhmm,understand?

hi everybody!!!!!!!!! I ALWAYS listen green day because they give me the streinght to do all the things in my life!!!

:D

Their music makes me always feel happy and when i hear it i always smile and sing along...and jump around (if no1 else is looking...stuff it...i do when ppl are looking) - they also made me believe in myself a little with the whole 'i don't care what other people think' attitude. Their music also encouraged me to be a completely unique person who doesn't follow any particular dress sense or to follow the 'majority'.

Also, they have songs to suit any mood - so i can always listen to some green day songs no matter what kinda mood i'm in.

I'd have to say that when i get depressed i turn on green day and that usually works to get get me back to who i am. What's weird is green day also helps me get out of panic attacks.

They taught me to be myself and not give a damn about what others think. They also introduced me to other punk bands.

Mhmm, they rock.

Archived