Billie Joe anti-Trump comment on Instagram

pouty bitch

13 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Are you serious? Look I get that you are supportive of Billie and everything but seriously life is what it is and as much as it would be nice if we could get people to think like us and agree with our views (haha how handy life would be then eh?) it is not reality. Reality is that Billie can't change Trump supporters views. That's just a fact. Shit if hearing that makes him fly off the handle then maybe he really does need help. Most of us know as children that people don't all think the same way and we can't force them to think like us. The person who posted just pointed out a fact. The overreaction from Billie is odd behaviour.

Maybe it's because it was a useless, boring, unoriginal and irrelevant point? No shit Trump supporters views won't be changed, does that mean someone has to state the obvious every single time someone posts anything about Trump? Billie's post wasn't about changing every Trump supporter's views, it was stating his own anger and opposition and rallying others who are with him. To me it's similar to "who cares?" comments on facebook articles, anger inducing for their irrelevancy and pointlessness. I'm sure they'll live :P and maybe it will help teach them not to make irrelevant comments that only distract from the point and encourage apathy if they don't want a harsh response. 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Maybe it's because it was a useless, boring, unoriginal and irrelevant point? No shit Trump supporters views won't be changed, does that mean someone has to state the obvious every single time someone posts anything about Trump? Billie's post wasn't about changing every Trump supporter's views, it was stating his own anger and opposition and rallying others who are with him. To me it's similar to "who cares?" comments on facebook articles, anger inducing for their irrelevancy and pointlessness. I'm sure they'll live :P and maybe it will help teach them not to make irrelevant comments that only distract from the point and encourage apathy if they don't want a harsh response. 

Very well said. Not to mention that Billie had just posted that we’re past the point now if worrying about niceties and changing things through positivity. He basically said time to stir shit up and don’t worry about trying to appear like a good citizen. So he’s being very consistent. And I know there a lot of people who agree that we’re way past the point of rationality when it comes to Trump, and trying to reason with people is obviously not working.

7 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Very well said. Not to mention that Billie had just posted that we’re past the point now if worrying about niceties and changing things through positivity. He basically said time to stir shit up and don’t worry about trying to appear like a good citizen. So he’s being very consistent. And I know there a lot of people who agree that we’re way past the point of rationality when it comes to Trump, and trying to reason with people is obviously not working.

Yay, Billie!

10 pages of comments on GDC because Billie said a rude comment. Wow! Great way to start 2018!

Anyway, I'm too lazy to read all the 10 pages, but I'm pretty sure you all debated wether or not his comment was alright. I completely agree with Billie's original post on Instagram, but he was rude in his comments. I approuve what he said (well, most of it), but he did it with so much anger. In a way, I'm not surprised he overreacted. He has ADHD and a person like him can (the quote's from the definition of ADHD) «Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences».

57 minutes ago, IcyMoffatt said:

10 pages of comments on GDC because Billie said a rude comment. Wow! Great way to start 2018!

Anyway, I'm too lazy to read all the 10 pages, but I'm pretty sure you all debated wether or not his comment was alright. I completely agree with Billie's original post on Instagram, but he was rude in his comments. I approuve what he said (well, most of it), but he did it with so much anger. In a way, I'm not surprised he overreacted. He has ADHD and a person like him can (the quote's from the definition of ADHD) «Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences».

Yeah what you've said is basically what everyone else said... tbh idk why this discussion is still going on :lol: But for some reason people are arguing over pointless and irrelevant things now and for some reason, people are talking about his iHeartRadio meltdown

58 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Yeah what you've said is basically what everyone else said... tbh idk why this discussion is still going on :lol: But for some reason people are arguing over pointless and irrelevant things now and for some reason, people are talking about his iHeartRadio meltdown

Hopefully they're not talking about that any more :P. The discussion's going on for the same reason any discussion goes on here, because a member of GD did something interesting. 

I don't think we need to try and analyse him from a psychological standpoint to come up with reasons for why he posted what he posted though, no one here is his psychologist or doctor. Speculating about what Billie does based on conditions he might have, or speculating about conditions he might have based on what he does never needs to happen on GDC. Can we just comment on what he posted please.  

I just want to point out that there’s a tumblr post of Billie’s post and controversial response, and it has about 25,000 notes with the vast majority being positive.Also I might be mistaken but it appears that grungy_asshole has deleted his Instagram account. Or maybe just changed the name.

1 hour ago, neverdone2000 said:

I just want to point out that there’s a tumblr post of Billie’s post and controversial response, and it has about 25,000 notes with the vast majority being positive.Also I might be mistaken but it appears that grungy_asshole has deleted his Instagram account. Or maybe just changed the name.

I know he went private cause I looked at his profile when Billie first replied and it was an public page  but then went to go back and it was then set to private and then either changed his name or deleted his page which is a shame he wasn’t a Trump supporter he had a few anti Trump memes posted I don’t think he meant for his comment to be insulting or bad just the way he worded it but English may not be his first language 

So the guy who had been posting ant-Trump memes and clearly wasn't a Trump supporter but made

16 hours ago, Hermione said:

a useless, boring, unoriginal and irrelevant point

on Billie's IG got what he deserved right? Fuck. I don't know what makes me more sick. The people who justify EVERYTHING Billie does or the people telling him to jump off a building on his IG right now.

46 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

So the guy who had been posting ant-Trump memes and clearly wasn't a Trump supporter but made

on Billie's IG got what he deserved right? Fuck. I don't know what makes me more sick. The people who justify EVERYTHING Billie does or the people telling him to jump off a building on his IG right now.

It's just my humble opinion, so I'm honestly not sure if it's right, wrong, or somewhere in between...but it seems to me that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Trump is adolescent and impulsive about his thoughts, which isn't exactly an ideal way to go about things if you are the U.S. President. Billie is super passionate about his beliefs, which he should be about a super important topic like this. But Billie also has a massive following and standing as a rock star and celebrity, so his shouting down of an individual on Instagram was bound to be a pretty one-sided event and of course wasn't going to end well for the person he was disagreeing with. That's not exactly an even playing field for discourse, even though of course the person was attacking him on his turf (his account). But as much as I love Billie (and it's genuine, I can speak from experience that he's a good human being), I wish the conversation hadn't turned out this way.

Look, just to be completely transparent, I'm 100% behind Billie when it comes to the issue at hand- I was actually a dead center, maybe a bit right of center person politically pre-Trump and I've swung a bit to the left in response. But that doesn't mean that I want to give up free speech and the right to speak our mind...both Billie and the person here are in their right to do so, but I can see how this person never stood a chance when reacting to Billie- it wasn't a fair fight although he did bring it upon himself. And I wish Billie had been a bit more engaging instead of getting into a shout-down session, but maybe that's just the idealist in me- in 2016-2018 it seems we're no longer having constructive dialogue. Everyone's shouting at each other. It's unfortunate.

2 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

on Billie's IG got what he deserved right? 

Do i smell sarcasm right?

Poor kid just said Kim is responsible for korea's shit and he got told to fuck off...not fun at all...

Even people saying 'yeah' are making boring and unnecessary comments,but none was insulted.

besides the guy also said something smart...koreas social problems were there even before trump. He didnt put korea in that place,and neither did hitler.Does that make them automatycally good persons? No, but still they didnt cause koreas problems.

People blindly defending someone who clearly is in the wrong is what sickens me...i get it what happened...billie is human, he was pissed/altered (by whatever went on in his life) and made a mistake...that wasnt cool or appropriate or punk.

Also logically speaking...it isnt smart

Screaming/changing subject/ in an argument is like proving you cant hold the discusdion,and that you dont know how to confront the other. Just tell em why theyre wrong,explain why you are right...confront opinions.

Thats what i love more about discussions...to have them with someone that has the opposite idea as you...i want to know why they think that, and how,and if i can learn something new. (Like film opinions,food...not only politics)

Btw didnt he write the song know your enemy?

1 hour ago, proud_ginge said:

This is a very one sided criticism of Billie’s post, and some of the comments are eye-popping! 

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/01/another_liberal_defends_kim_jongun.html

I love reading stuff like that, just amuses me. I'd take no notice of a site like that, which is clearly extremely biased and written by someone that's lost a couple of their marbles :lol:

8 hours ago, proud_ginge said:

This is a very one sided criticism of Billie’s post, and some of the comments are eye-popping! 

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/01/another_liberal_defends_kim_jongun.html

Jesus christ. That physically hurt to read.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/01/note_to_nevertrumps_trumps_character_is_admirable.html

this article is on the same site, and 500x harder to stomach, even.

On 04/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, neverdone2000 said:

As far as Trump is concerned, his time is coming. Have no doubt that his true self will be fully revealed, probably within the next 6 months but definitely within a year. The extent of his criminality and mental instability is absolutely shocking. Not shocking that he’s an insane con man, just shocking that he’s president. I follow a lot of people on Twitter who are political and legal experts, and who have a lot of sources who really know what’s going on. Some of these people I follow are running for office or have actual positions, they are the real thing. Two that I recommend are Seth Abramson and Renato Marriotti. Their threads are long and complex, but if you have the patience and want a good explanation of what’s going on, it’s worth the read. It will give you hope for justice. 

Yeah but people love a fucking asshole, as Billie said right after the asshole was elected...

On 04/01/2018 at 4:41 PM, Alan86 said:

You can’t win an argument with a “fuck you” or “go fuck yourself”. I have no doubt Billie is right and I agree with his original message but the way he tried to get his message across by responding to people with nonsensical swearing and no substance to his argument makes him look foolish.

What I feel is that the persons whom Billie responded to weren't responding to Billie's post about Trump in the first place, they may have been real fans, but who showed themselves only upset about Billie posting what he did, so they were the first ones subverting the subject of his post. I was truly surprised at first to read the level of anger and despair in Billie's responses, but he's not the one who cut the discussion. Indeed, he didn't try to set it back with his very vexing responses. I feel sorry for the fans if they were just genuine in their (even off the mark) comments, I hope they weren't heartbroken for having being yelled at this way, and that they'll take a step back and perhaps want to start thinking about what hurts Billie so much (people and perhaps fans seemingly not really caring about Trump and all the related issues...), in a way they wouldn't have otherwise. But I can't stop thinking, we're here discussing Billie's reaction and state of mind but some maybe real fans have been left with that reaction of his, while people can often say stuff, especially on social media, without having really thought first, only Billie didn't miss them.

Despite all that, I'm also very proud of him and even thankful that he loses his shit this way. I only love him more for showing that he can be this aggressive, seemingly overreacting person sometimes. We don't know what he felt and what got into his mind exactly reading those comments, but we are all human beings and we always learn and readjust. To me he doesn't need at all to justify his reaction, but it doesn't mean apologies couldn't be needed, which is only up to him, in his own heart and soul, to tell.

On 04/01/2018 at 8:40 PM, Gloria Killjoy said:

A comment like that is probably more than anger inducing. It's insanity inducing. It's being told that your efforts to better the world are shit. 

Hopefully that person who commented will be able to see this, if really a fan he/she is.

8 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

A rude response to his dumb reply? Yeah pretty much, Billie was angry and it was a bit harsh but I'm sure he'll get over it.

3 hours ago, proud_ginge said:

That title :lol:. I had to google to check it wasn't a parody site. I can't imagine how dense someone has to be to actually think criticising Trump's response to Kim Jong Un = defending and praising Kim Jong Un. And to write a whole article about it!

10 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

It's just my humble opinion, so I'm honestly not sure if it's right, wrong, or somewhere in between...but it seems to me that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Trump is adolescent and impulsive about his thoughts, which isn't exactly an ideal way to go about things if you are the U.S. President. Billie is super passionate about his beliefs, which he should be about a super important topic like this. But Billie also has a massive following and standing as a rock star and celebrity, so his shouting down of an individual on Instagram was bound to be a pretty one-sided event and of course wasn't going to end well for the person he was disagreeing with. That's not exactly an even playing field for discourse, even though of course the person was attacking him on his turf (his account). But as much as I love Billie (and it's genuine, I can speak from experience that he's a good human being), I wish the conversation hadn't turned out this way.

Look, just to be completely transparent, I'm 100% behind Billie when it comes to the issue at hand- I was actually a dead center, maybe a bit right of center person politically pre-Trump and I've swung a bit to the left in response. But that doesn't mean that I want to give up free speech and the right to speak our mind...both Billie and the person here are in their right to do so, but I can see how this person never stood a chance when reacting to Billie- it wasn't a fair fight although he did bring it upon himself. And I wish Billie had been a bit more engaging instead of getting into a shout-down session, but maybe that's just the idealist in me- in 2016-2018 it seems we're no longer having constructive dialogue. Everyone's shouting at each other. It's unfortunate.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying except for a few crucial points. The guy Billie went nuts on was not "attacking him" on his turf or even shouting. As has been pointed out, the guy was anti-Trump and stating an obvious fact, the reality of which Billie couldn't handle so blew up on him. I mean hell, it's shit that life isn't how we want it all the time but if the weather guy comes on and says it's going to piss rain on your birthday you don't attack the guy for telling you something you didn't want to hear unless there's something slightly off with you. 

Considering the fact that the only post Billie has made since then was another one about his amazing New Year’s Eve club show I’d say he’s trying for a do-over — turn back the clock a little, lay low and wait for all this to blow over (like in Shaun of the Dead 😄)

48 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying except for a few crucial points. The guy Billie went nuts on was not "attacking him" on his turf or even shouting. As has been pointed out, the guy was anti-Trump and stating an obvious fact, the reality of which Billie couldn't handle so blew up on him. I mean hell, it's shit that life isn't how we want it all the time but if the weather guy comes on and says it's going to piss rain on your birthday you don't attack the guy for telling you something you didn't want to hear unless there's something slightly off with you. 

He was stating the obvious that Billie (and everyone) already knows, and it was irrelevant to Billie's post, which was irritating. He wasn't angry about the "fact" itself, there was a lot more that was annoying about it than that (which has already been elaborated on here at length).

Personally I feel the worst thing you can do when someone is in a panicky state is to try to talk them down calmly. It often makes them flip out more. In a way, a measured almost patronizing reply was more likely to evoke a freakout response in this case than an emotional reply would have done. Supports my theory that he was keyed up to begin with. 

Let's pretend that this situation were somehow reversed. A prominent musician (I'm gonna roll with Taylor Swift because she has been real quiet about Trump, leading ppl to believe she supports him) had made a post explicitly supporting Trump and wondering why more people don't get on board. Billie responds with "Well, not to be rude Taylor, you can have your opinion but not everyone is going to agree with you," and Taylor responds with "fuck you you fucking keyboard coward spineless blah blah blah," and Billie sets his insta to private as boatloads of Swifties harass him for standing up to their goddess. 

Would anyone on this site justify Taylor's behavior? Would we be discussing her mental state or strategies for calming her down as she was clearly just feeling real passionate about a topic? Absolutely not. Everyone would probably run off to their Instagram or Twitter or whatever to scream at her for attacking their idol. Yet here we sit, 10 pages of discussion later, full of people trying to justify the really shitty behavior Billie displayed towards a fan who really didn't do anything wrong. 

9 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Look, I'm not trying to start something, but it really feels like you're insinuating that Billie has something wrong with him. No one knows anything about his personal life, or his mental health, because it's really none of our business. Look, I just think theories shouldn't be brought up, because it's not our right to pry and gossip about him. Many of us have already voiced opinions on why we think he reacted like he did, and why we disagree with the comments. And Billie was doing a shoot the messenger reaction, but I think it was because he had received the message 2,000 times before.

I'm really trying not to be a jerk, but I just really needed to say this! And of course you're entitled to your own opinion. I just don't think we should discuss this aspect of Billie’s life.

5 minutes ago, Gloria Killjoy said:

No one knows anything about his personal life, or his mental health, because it's really none of our business. Look, I just think theories shouldn't be brought up, because it's not our right to pry and gossip about him. 

I wish I could quote this a thousand times because this is the only thing that really matters. 

I literally can’t count the amount of times I’ve typed something either on social media or via text that I’ve regretted instantly or read back some time later and thought ‘oh shit why did I say that?!’. Everyone’s gonna get over it, it’s all gonna be ok.

24 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

Let's pretend that this situation were somehow reversed. A prominent musician (I'm gonna roll with Taylor Swift because she has been real quiet about Trump, leading ppl to believe she supports him) had made a post explicitly supporting Trump and wondering why more people don't get on board. Billie responds with "Well, not to be rude Taylor, you can have your opinion but not everyone is going to agree with you," and Taylor responds with "fuck you you fucking keyboard coward spineless blah blah blah," and Billie sets his insta to private as boatloads of Swifties harass him for standing up to their goddess. 

Would anyone on this site justify Taylor's behavior? Would we be discussing her mental state or strategies for calming her down as she was clearly just feeling real passionate about a topic? Absolutely not. Everyone would probably run off to their Instagram or Twitter or whatever to scream at her for attacking their idol. Yet here we sit, 10 pages of discussion later, full of people trying to justify the really shitty behavior Billie displayed towards a fan who really didn't do anything wrong. 

Why the need to pretend both sides are perfectly equal opposites? Billie's a punk musician who protests shitty presidential behaviour and doesn't need someone telling him there's no point in it. Being pro shitty behaviour isn't an equivalent that can be compared to being anti shitty behaviour. Billie's been defended because people agree that Trump's behaviour was outrageous. Of course an artist supporting outrageous behaviour from a president would get a different response. That isn't unfair, it's because it's two different things.

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Why the need to pretend both sides are perfectly equal opposites? Billie's a punk musician who protests shitty presidential behaviour and doesn't need someone telling him there's no point in it. Being pro shitty behaviour isn't an equivalent that can be compared to being anti shitty behaviour. Billie's been defended because people agree that Trump's behaviour was outrageous. Of course an artist supporting outrageous behaviour from a president would get a different response. That isn't unfair, it's because it's two different things.

So, basically... his really shitty behavior towards someone who wasn't even in disagreement with him politically is okay because you agree with him politically? 

It's honestly kind of sad to see how far a lot of green day fans will go to support every tiny little thing Billie does.

• Hermione locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived