05 - Outlaws

Lone

20 minutes ago, Dirty Liar said:

Tracking the tempo in hopes of my band playing this live soon and theres a few changes. The intro and verses are 92 bpm, choruses are 93, the octavey (that a word?) section before the main solo is 97 bpm and it returns to 93 for the main solo and 'I got no supervison'. It remains at 93 until the outro which starts at 90bpm and slows down to about 70 by the end of the song... phew! That was a long 2 hours of working this out.

It's amazing the power that subtle tempo changes can have. That extra bpm really puts a rocket up the song's arse, as does the 97bpm section. Either they recorded this without a click track or they've put some serious thought into its construction. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song is currently my least favourite. For some reason, I'm not feeling it. But I do like it, just not as much as the others.

Good title. Sounds like Al Green's "Let's Stay Together." Pretty cool

Favorite song! It makes me cry a lot lol, "We were delinquents", "Baby hooligans, we destroyed suburbia", "Breaking in cars" and the ending "You'll roam roam roam" :cry: It really makes me think about Mike and Billie when they were young and that makes me so emotional. Ugh this song is everything, LOVE it! 

Enjoying this one more and more! Great nostalgic song and Billie's singing is really beautiful in it. 

Before I had the lyric booklet I had assumed it was 

We're outlaws of redemption, baby
Hooligans
We destroyed suburbia

But I see it's actually

We're outlaws of redemption
Baby hooligans
We destroyed suburbia

And I love that! Baby hooligans :lol: 

Falling more and more in love with this song the more I listen to it. Can't believe I didn't really like it the first time I heard it. It's a masterpiece.

Listening to this track for only the second time and I'm starting to love it. It has this dreamlike quality to it I really like.

On 9/26/2016 at 3:14 PM, disappearing_boy_39 said:

I'm not getting a Bowie vibe but then again, Bowie was all over the map. So which Bowie period are you speaking about? Ziggy Stardust? Thin White Duke? Etc.

21 Guns had a Bowie feel, probably because it sounded similar to Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes which he wrote. Outlaws is more similar to Wild One from ¡Dos!.

Berlin trilogy.

I really love the sound of this song. I got quite emotional listening to it. Picturing them as kids while hearing the lines "Breaking in cars, Running in the light of the moon" makes it even more nostalgic and emotional

On October 9, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Hermione said:

Baby hooligans
We destroyed suburbia

Baby hooligans?!? :runaround:That's rather adorable. 

This song grows on me more and more all the time. I love "for our life beyond the stars..." and the little sound effect before the chorus kicks back in. And the second half of the song is just stellar. 

On 9.10.2016 at 2:40 PM, Hermione said:

But I see it's actually

Baby hooligans
We destroyed suburbia

And I love that! Baby hooligans :lol: 

I guess this is another flaw in the booklet because he definitely sings "We're outlaws of redemption, baby" imo. I don't trust the booklet, it has so many mistakes. Although baby hooligans is a really nice picture :D

Now I'm picturing Billie looking at the lyric book like "Jesus Christ, I didn't write 'baby hooligans!'" 

51 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I guess this is another flaw in the booklet because he definitely sings "We're outlaws of redemption, baby" imo. I don't trust the booklet, it has so many mistakes. Although baby hooligans is a really nice picture :D

He does sing it that way but it could still be meant as baby hooligans, doesn't necessarily have to scan properly. I'm choosing to believe it's baby hooligans in any case :D 

12 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

More like the lyrics on the forum have a lot of mistakes :P I have caught a few typos and other minor type differences in the official lyrics, but no major differences between what's on the page and what is said.

I don't  usually  like songs on the first pass,  but this one the first listen just grabbed  me.  The lyrics  and where this comes from just puts me in such a nostalgic  place.  Easily a favor of mine from the album. 

I got no supervision
Nothing will change my spirit's place to roam
I plead my innocence
I plead my innocence
But that's my best defense 
When you are young

:wub:

This part (and the build up to it) might be my favourite moment on the album, it gives me goosebumps. 

18 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

It's slightly confusing, but occasionally Billie Joe tends to sing the first part of a second sentence right after the first before breaking it off and then singing the rest of the 2nd sentence as the 2nd sentence in the song (there has to be a better way to describe this)

Like in When I Come Around he also sings "I'm just roaming for the moment sleazin' my back yard so don't get" and then the second line "so uptight you been thinking about ditching me".

So it is possible that's in fact Baby hooligans.

6 hours ago, gerardsangel4977 said:

More like the lyrics on the forum have a lot of mistakes :P I have caught a few typos and other minor type differences in the official lyrics, but no major differences between what's on the page and what is said.

But for example in Bouncing Off the Wall, the booklet says it's "Concrete dream I wanna hear you scream", but he doesn't sing that, does he? Am I completely deaf? :lol: I hear something like "Concrete dream I wanna make a scene" or something like that. Oh sorry I'm going off topic here because this is the Outlaws thread. I should head over to the misheard lyrics thread.

So I really do like this song and it does make me reflect back on high school days when I would try to rebel against everything. The only thing that really bugs me is the opening instrumental. It starts out sounding like a completely different song and then it leads to something else when Billie sings. It's an awkward transition and is so jarring. I'm still not used to it. Otherwise, I think the song is great.

13 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

But for example in Bouncing Off the Wall, the booklet says it's "Concrete dream I wanna hear you scream", but he doesn't sing that, does he? Am I completely deaf? :lol: I hear something like "Concrete dream I wanna make a scene" or something like that. Oh sorry I'm going off topic here because this is the Outlaws thread. I should head over to the misheard lyrics thread.

yeah, in that case, he definitely is saying that LOL.

This song is definitely one of my faves on the album! For me its the perfect blend of Brutal Love and 21 Guns (I plead my innocence section) I would love to hear this played live because I want to see how it translates compared to the studio version. It's definitely my most played out of the album - the end is so haunting (knife by the railroad track) and i love the echo towards the end. (god i feel like im gushing)

I love it.

Was taken aback at first as I expected the music to be totally different, but then it just started growing. It sounds like tje guys arelooking back at what they've been and done with a fondness and acceptance that come with maturity.

The line that strikes me most is "when we were forever young", referring to the feeling that you have when you are literally young, that you will always be like that, but then you find out as the years pass by, that you still feel young and powerful, but must admit that things are really not the same. Being myself on the "other" side of 35 I feel kind of like this sometimes, and this song is really touching to me. 

When I heard this was the "ballad" of the album I really wasn't expecting it to become one of my favorites on here. This is probably one of their best slow songs ever imo

Archived