Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

4 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

People are not denying 195 in a year is bad. They are denying that it was a year. The album has only been out 2 months.

You're wrong people are saying it is "pretty good" :lol: Two months out for a band like green day and being #195 while having albums released years ago ahead of it. So my point remains. People make excuses to not admit that it's bad by saying it's been out for 2 months.

Just now, Jenn. said:

So chart positions determine relevance but concert sales (which is where most of the money is made and costs the consumer a lot more than an album) don't. Okay dokey then.

Yeah that's how it goes. Are acdc a relevant band? No. Do they sell out consents? They do. The same goes with green day now and it sucks. They are a big band. They are not a relevant one. It's not a surprise you fail to understand this though you've been delusional about anything green day related for a long time now. It's ok though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, petros said:

Yeah that's how it goes. Are acdc a relevant band? No. Do they sell out consents? They do. The same goes with green day now and it sucks. They are a big band. They are not a relevant one. It's not a surprise you fail to understand this though you've been delusional about anything green day related for a long time now. It's ok though.

:lol: 

Just now, Jenn. said:

:lol: 

You can laugh this doesn't change the fact that all you do is dismiss any negative(i don't even consider them not being relevant anymore a negative thing tbh) conversation about green day that pops up here and there with no real arguments just sentimental things about a band we all love. Plus you see weird dreams involving the band members. I really don't know why I even bother with you anymore.

14 minutes ago, petros said:

You're wrong people are saying it is "pretty good" :lol: 

I'm not wrong. They are saying 195 is pretty good for 2 months not a year. 

6 minutes ago, petros said:

You can laugh this doesn't change the fact that all you do is dismiss any negative(i don't even consider them not being relevant anymore a negative thing tbh) conversation about green day that pops up here and there with no real arguments just sentimental things about a band we all love. Plus you see weird dreams involving the band members. I really don't know why I even bother with you anymore.

You're totally right, that is all I do on this Green Day fan forum :rolleyes: Kind of like how all you do is belittle everyone who doesn't agree with your opinions, especially when you pretend they're facts. 

Also I could comment on the weird dream but a) it's not worth my time and b) I actually can't remember it :ninja::D 

I think everyone should take off their pink sunglasses en realize that the album sales are low. That doesn't mean they are doing bad with the new album, it's just not as great as it did with American Idiot or 21 CB. It's true that times have changed and it is difficult to compare album sales now with 8 years ago. Fact is that even now some bands and artists manage to score higher than Green Day is doing right now.

But that is only focusing on one thing, which is not even the most important thing. What matters to me is that I still enjoy listening to the new album and I love every TV performance they give. And I can't wait to see them live next year.

Obviously RevRad is not doing as well as AI or 21CB. Nobody's denying that. The album was never going to do as well as AI or even 21CB considering that was AI's follow up

I'd like to point out that the billboard charts take into account Streaming and Track Sales as of 2014. They didn't do this in 2012 for Uno, in 2009 for 21CB or in 2004 for AI. Many albums have been streamed much more than RevRad despite selling less albums. So if the Year-end charts only took into account the album sales RevRad would be much higher on the list. If you look at RevRad's performance on the Billboard 200 charts and the Top Album Sales Charts, RR is doing much better on the latter

Billboard 200 Positions - 1, 10, 41, 92, 79, 109, 76, 94
Album Sales - 1, 5, 18, 50, 38, 58, 43, 59

So if the Billboard 200 was still solely based on album sales, I'm sure RevRad would be much higher

6 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

Obviously RevRad is not doing as well as AI or 21CB. Nobody's denying that. The album was never going to do as well as AI or even 21CB considering that was AI's follow up

I'd like to point out that the billboard charts take into account Streaming and Track Sales as of 2014. They didn't do this in 2012 for Uno, in 2009 for 21CB or in 2004 for AI. Many albums have been streamed much more than RevRad despite selling less albums. So if the Year-end charts only took into account the album sales RevRad would be much higher on the list. If you look at RevRad's performance on the Billboard 200 charts and the Top Album Sales Charts, RR is doing much better on the latter

Billboard 200 Positions - 1, 10, 41, 92, 79, 109, 76, 94
Album Sales - 1, 5, 18, 50, 38, 58, 43, 59

So if the Billboard 200 was still solely based on album sales, I'm sure RevRad would be much higher

This logic doesn't make any sense though. We live in the streaming era. If something, counting streams has gained green day numbers.

How about this. 195 isn't good. But considering it was out for only 2 months and still made it on the top 200, that's not a terrible thing. Sure we'd all love if it was much higher. I don't see why anyone needs to be defensive about it.

1 hour ago, petros said:

This logic doesn't make any sense though. We live in the streaming era. If something, counting streams has gained green day numbers.

Streaming does add to GD's total sales like you said but maybe the impact of their streaming are less in comparison to some other artist. So that's why when you count pure album sales they are in a higher position than when you count album plus streaming.

I really don't care about album sales or relevance. All I care about is them making good music and being happy doing it. Right now they're really happy and making really fucking good music. The only reason I would care about sales is if it impacted their will to keep releasing records. Knowing them it won't 

Exactly! Well put my friend. None of the bands I listen to give a shit about what is "relevant". I listen to metal bands mostly, why would anyone give a hoot about relevance when listening to these bands? Is the point here that their albums sales suffer because they are simply not relevant anymore?

As every Tuesday, here is the charts update for Still Breathing. We can describe it with this lyrics:

Cause I'm still climbing

Cause I'm still climbing all the charts,

my life is long, a catchy song it's

making my way away... To number one!

Anyway...

#7 on the Alternative chart (same of Welcome to Paradise);

http://www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs

#8 on the Mainstream Rock chart;

#5 on the Rock Airplay chart.

Here there are good signs for next week too:

http://hitsdailydouble.com/mediabase_building_charts

Considering that Still Breathing is not a lead single, I'm sure we can say this is already a success. :happy:

Not that I want to have anything to do with continuing this debate, but I think we're going to continue to be fortunate enough to have a band that can and will continue to make music completely despite sales. I sincerely doubt Warner would ever drop them, but if there was some universe in which they became unpopular enough for them to do so, GD would just find a way to do it themselves.

So, to me, this band is big enough that their "relevance" and sales are now, ironically, completely irrelevant. :P

5 hours ago, RougeRogue said:

Not that I want to have anything to do with continuing this debate, but I think we're going to continue to be fortunate enough to have a band that can and will continue to make music completely despite sales. I sincerely doubt Warner would ever drop them, but if there was some universe in which they became unpopular enough for them to do so, GD would just find a way to do it themselves.

So, to me, this band is big enough that their "relevance" and sales are now, ironically, completely irrelevant. :P

Yeah we all love green day and obviously most likely will keep doing that no matter their relevance and although your points are good this had nothing to do with the conversation of the band being relevant or not.

IMO the problem is not the band. GD are with no doubt the most famous band in the history of Punk Rock. It's the genre that is not relevant anymore. GD, back in 2005, charted on the Billboard 100 with Boulevard of Broken Dreams (peaked at 2nd place) and Wake Me Up When September Ends (6th place). Ok. But these songs were not exactly Punk Rock, let's say Pop/Alternative Rock. Today we have GD that release Bang Bang and Still Breathing. On the other hand, these songs will never chart as good as the others because the golden age is over but also because they're away enough from being too Pop. Let me explain it better:

I think that if GD would have earn money they could. They're talented enough to make something similar to their most successful singles. The point is that, luckily, their only goal is to make good music. They don't care about being successful anymore since their name is known all over the world.

This is my opinion...

1 hour ago, petros said:

Yeah we all love green day and obviously most likely will keep doing that no matter their relevance and although your points are good this had nothing to do with the conversation of the band being relevant or not.

Yeah it did. Many people were previously discussing their sales as an indicator of relevance. And clearly I stated my point was about sales being irrelevant to me.

40 minutes ago, RougeRogue said:

Yeah it did. Many people were previously discussing their sales as an indicator of relevance. And clearly I stated my point was about sales being irrelevant to me.

To be fair it really was just petros bringing up the whole relevance thing. Before it was just a discussion on whether the ranking in the end of year chart was good or not. And that's subjective I guess. I thought, for an album out for two months, that it was decent. 

Also, I don't actually think anyone cares whether they're relevant or not (they're relevant to everyone posting in this forum anyway), but debates about relevance aren't necessarily reflective of personal feelings about whether it's important. Do I think relevance is particularly important? No, not really. But I can still argue that they are relevant.

3 hours ago, Jenn. said:

To be fair it really was just petros bringing up the whole relevance thing. Before it was just a discussion on whether the ranking in the end of year chart was good or not. And that's subjective I guess. I thought, for an album out for two months, that it was decent. 

Also, I don't actually think anyone cares whether they're relevant or not (they're relevant to everyone posting in this forum anyway), but debates about relevance aren't necessarily reflective of personal feelings about whether it's important. Do I think relevance is particularly important? No, not really. But I can still argue that they are relevant.

I know, I meant it to be more of a lighthearted comment, really :hug:

Another Tuesday,

another update,

commercial performance,

I'll never be late. :lol:

Alright, Still Breathing is doing really well on the charts. I think it'll continue to climb at least until February. Maybe it's not going to peak #1 on the Alternative chart: Blink-182, Judah & the Lion and Kings of Leon are still increasing in their songs' spins. 

This week' positions are:

#4 on the Alternative Chart (better than She and Hitchin' a Ride);

#6 on Mainstream Rock;

#3 on Rock Airplay.

It also charted on the Slovak singles chart (#82).

Talking about music videos, Bang Bang's official and lyric have approximately 3 and 11 milion views (14M).

Still Breathing, instead has 4 and 8 milion views (12M). Let's see...

14 minutes ago, End Of The World said:

Another Tuesday,

another update,

commercial performance,

I'll never be late. :lol:

Alright, Still Breathing is doing really well on the charts. I think it'll continue to climb at least until February. Maybe it's not going to peak #1 on the Alternative chart: Blink-182, Judah & the Lion and Kings of Leon are still increasing in their songs' spins. 

This week' positions are:

#4 on the Alternative Chart (better than She and Hitchin' a Ride);

#6 on Mainstream Rock;

#3 on Rock Airplay.

It also charted on the Slovak singles chart (#82).

Talking about music videos, Bang Bang's official and lyric have approximately 3 and 11 milion views (14M).

Still Breathing, instead has 4 and 8 milion views (12M). Let's see...

I'd love to see SB get to No. 1 on these charts. A non-lead single getting to No. 1 would be great

SB's current position on the US Hot Rock songs is fairly disappointing however at No. 16. It peaked at No. 12 in October so it's a shame it hasn't been able to get any higher since then

I think this song will be a disappointment if it doesn't crack the Hot 100. It's literally designed to be a Top 40 song.

7 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I think this song will be a disappointment if it doesn't crack the Hot 100. It's literally designed to be a Top 40 song.

I'll pray for it :lol:

SB deserves a place in the top 40 more than KYE and 21 Guns did.

In your opinion, is now too early to see it in the Hot 100?

Archived