Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

Just to back up what I said previously about RevRad holding better than Uno, official UK charts for this week have it at Number 6, so it's actually climbed since midweek. 😉 Uno dropped to number 9 in it's second week.

Link

Edit: second week sales in the UK of 7,950 copies.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tomdsjames said:

Just to back up what I said previously about RevRad holding better than Uno, official UK charts for this week have it at Number 6, so it's actually climbed since midweek. 😉 Uno dropped to number 9 in it's second week.

Link

Edit: second week sales in the UK of 7,950 copies.

Well if copies sold in the UK are 8k, then the sales in the US should be much more than predicted on http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming which is good

10 hours ago, GiveMeNovacainePls said:

http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

According to this source Green Day is number 5 with 17,458 sales.But i expect around 20k.

Kings Of Leon new album sales worse than Green Day by the way.İ listened their new songs and they have some nice tracks.

So why are the figures so much different now to how they were yesterday? In terms of Sales + Streams (http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming), they're at No. 11 with 19,810. I hope they at least get in the top 10 of that

16 hours ago, Ale7113 said:

Official charts update for RevRad (2nd week):

UK - #6 - http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/ (as tomdsjames said)

NZ - #6 - http://nztop40.co.nz/chart/albums 

ITA - #9 - http://www.fimi.it/classifiche#/category:album/year:2015

In Germany it dropped from #2 to #14, but it's still great to see it in the top 20, never expected it to be #2 around here anyway. http://www.viva.tv/charts/17-viva-album-top-100

With regard to the streaming services, there will always be people who will want to listen to albums for nothing on Spotify, YouTube, etc, but I think with a band like Green Day who have been around for a long time (before Spotify, etc existed), fans are more inclined  to buy GD albums as CD's so that they can add it to their large Green Day CD collection. If hardcore fans have all previous Green Day albums on CD... of course they will go out and get Rev Rad as a CD as they wouldn't want it missing from their collection. Buying an album on CD is like having a ''piece of the band'' and its exciting to go out and buy the album from the record store- it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun listening to it for nothing on Spotify.

How much airplay are the songs from Rev Rad getting on the radio in the UK? Has anyone seen the Bang Bang video on a music channel?

3 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

With regard to the streaming services, there will always be people who will want to listen to albums for nothing on Spotify, YouTube, etc, but I think with a band like Green Day who have been around for a long time (before Spotify, etc existed), fans are more inclined  to buy GD albums as CD's so that they can add it to their large Green Day CD collection. If hardcore fans have all previous Green Day albums on CD... of course they will go out and get Rev Rad as a CD as they wouldn't want it missing from their collection. Buying an album on CD is like having a ''piece of the band'' and its exciting to go out and buy the album from the record store- it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun listening to it for nothing on Spotify.

How much airplay are the songs from Rev Rad getting on the radio in the UK? Has anyone seen the Bang Bang video on a music channel?

Only music/radio channels like kerrang a lot, but not terriebly a lot on the big BBC sations 

So the US sales for this week should be announced sometime today, right?

Just now, James11693 said:

Not good...

I don't think it's that bad. At least it's still in the top 10. Uno charted at No. 11 for its second week

Not bad and I think if they release Still Breathing as an official single with the music video it should climb back to TOP7 or maybe even TOP5.

43 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I don't think it's that bad. At least it's still in the top 10. Uno charted at No. 11 for its second week

What's crazy is how much it actually decreased in sales. Went down almost 80%

1 hour ago, James11693 said:

What's crazy is how much it actually decreased in sales. Went down almost 80%

It is still doing really well.  The music industry has dramatically changed, so much that there is talk of changing the requirements for gold and platinum.  The number 1 album this week looks like it will be significantly lower than Rev rad was and the number 2 looks like around 25k.  So not much more than Rev rad.  The industry is pretty flat

Fucking MTV and Billboard said that green day would never get an album in the top 20 again. But damn were they wrong. Because revolution radio is freaking #1! Green day is capable of anything and everything, I'll never understand why people underestimate them. :toocool:

17 hours ago, James11693 said:

Not good...

Also the current number 1 album , only sold 77000 copies to be number 1 in its opening week, a lot less than green days 95000 

8 hours ago, zeldachick14 said:

Fucking MTV and Billboard said that green day would never get an album in the top 20 again. But damn were they wrong. Because revolution radio is freaking #1! Green day is capable of anything and everything, I'll never understand why people underestimate them. :toocool:

When/where did they say that? Fucking assholes

How stupid are they to assume that when they were in this exact position before AI when Warning was considered a commercial failure. People probably said the same

GD is an old band, and the younger generation probably don't think they can relate to people in their mid 40s; I can predict the same trend for a new Metallica and AC/DC album. Foo Fighter seems to be the exception, though. Dave Grohl changes things up, is friends with celebrities, appears on TV  in between albums, and I guess their genre is more "universal" to rock fans.

I agree about your assessment that for the most part the younger generation does not relate to bands in their 40's, but disagree with your assessment of the Foo Fighters.  They are in the exact same category as every other band in their 40's.  As a matter of fact, they have never had an album sell over 2M copies and Sonic Highways only sold around 600K and that was 2 years ago.  I have teens and they could care less about the Foos, GD and every other rock style band.   

Hi! Delurking to give my 2 cents:

Yes, industry changed a lot. Streaming and YouTube views help increase billboard positions and first week sales are always hardcore fans. And 100.000 on pure albums sales show that. What is really gonna help RevRad sales is a hit single. Well, any album needs a Big hit or even minors hits but constant radioplay, o streams for It to keep the álbum on the public eye and for casual buyers.

You cant compare Adele's 25 álbum, that sold 8 millions in the US alone and have a billion views single on YouTube to RevRad. If you wanna compare to any album, maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers "the Getaway" would be a better choice. Rock band and 100.000 albums sales on first week. 

I personally believe RedRad is great album and if sales dont reflect that It doesnt matter, as long as they tour cuz thats where they make the Big bucks. That makes them happy, makes labels happy and makes us fans really happy that our Heros are alive and still doing what they love.

Thanks for your attention. 

Damn, I'm sad it dropped so much. Still hopeful that once the new music video comes out it'll help pick it back up a bit. I'd like to see it stay in the top 10 for a while. We know that promotions can have a big impact on sales and right now they're touring, not on TV and radio across the country.

Archived