Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

So what did you guys think of  Green Day's four on the floor dance music sound on Kill The DJ and Nightlife, and would you look forward to hearing more of that on the new album and future albums?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Joe Van Winkle said:

So what did you guys think of  Green Day's four on the floor dance music sound on Kill The DJ and Nightlife, and would you look forward to hearing more of that on the new album and future albums?

Kill the DJ could have been better but Nightlife was just terrible. Nightlife was essentially taking something shit and adding in some sick for extra awfulness.

Guess it wouldn't be surprising if Tre is there as Sara's band are playing and Billie Joe as Jakob's band is playing, we just need Mike now!  Maybe one or two new numbers from GD?

4 hours ago, Joe Van Winkle said:

LOVE Kill The DJ but Nightlife is the only green day song i legit hate, every other one i either love or am "meh" to xD

5 hours ago, Joe Van Winkle said:

Kill the DJ was one of the songs teased in the YouTube clips and had me pumped for the trilogy. Nightlife, on the other hand? Not so much. The song has grown on me a bit but it's not a sound I'm eager to see them revisit.

Lurve me some nightlife  (sorry for the off track comment I have to support my jam) 

also I love kill the DJ but i wish the chorus was a lil less repetitive for my taste everything else in the song is great though

I prefer Kill the DJ to Nightlife. I could not get into the song when Dos! was released, and I still can't listen to it.

I don't think it'd be strange to speculate the band could perform a couple of songs at this event. Billie has performed with Jakob and Joey before, and as it seems that Sara's band is also performing, why not? 

The special guests slot shall continue to be filled by them (it has on most occasions during recent times, correct?)

I hate Kill the DJ! It's stupid and too reptative! I hope their music isn't like that on the new record. That song and Nightlife are just terrible!

I wouldn't mind a song like Nightlife on the new album. I like it when they experiment a little.

Question - maybe @Matt. can answer:  When there's actually some real, concrete news about the album, can you put one of those blue banner thingies at the top of the page?  It's kinda frustrating to come in here, see that the thread's hot and think 'ooh maybe there's some news now' only to read through 4 new pages of not-even-speculation which belongs in a completely different thread.  I don't really mind speculation, it's just the talk about totally unrelated stuff that's annoying.  I'm not picking on anyone in particular, sorry if this sounds a bit passive-aggressivey.  I just don't wanna miss news but equally don't wanna read through stuff that doesn't interest me - if it did, I'd go over to that thread to read about it.

I think if there's a major announcement we'll make a new thread for it. When the album title or release date or tour or whatever is announced we won't let it just be buried in here. But for now this thread is for speculation (hopefully not too outlandish or far from the topic) and talking about the clues and small pieces of info we get relating to the band being in the studio working on the new album.

Kill the dj and nightlife are two of my favorites from the trilogy.  As others have said, one of the reasons I love them is there willingness and ability to try different types of music.  It is also one of the reasons they are in the rock hall of fame.

When you stop experimenting, you get stale.  I really hope they try new things on the new album, it'd one of the reasons I love them do much

I like green day experimenting but Nightlife was just awful in my opinion i really dont wanna hear anything else like that from them. Kill the DJ was really catchy though i liked that.

I hope there is more experimentation on the new album, combined with a  kick ass traditional Green Day sound, like Nimrod, and epic in scope and production, like 21st CB.

I like Kill the DJ, it's one of my favorites on Uno. 

I like how brave they were to do Nightlife, and I like the groove of the music, and the lyrics that Billie Joe sings. But the rap lyrics seem trite to me, and Lady Cobra a pretty lackluster rapper, IMO. I wouldn't mind if they tried something like this again, though. It was interesting

BTW, . It's the only song that caught my  17 year old son's attention when I was forcing him to listen to the Trilogy in the car (again). He calls Green Day my "jangly pop punk" haha. Anyway he listened reallly carefully and said that Lady Cobra's part was just another part of the narrator's mind, the bad side of him. Like St. Jimmy. 

Well, the owner of that Twitter account only wrote something every Green Day fan already knew. I think we'll just have to wait till Billie, Mike and Tre themselves say something about the album. Fan accounts only spread rumors we all are sick of. 

I think this thread should be locked until there's an actual announcement from the band.

48 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I think this thread should be locked until there's an actual announcement from the band.

Or people could just use it for its intended purpose (discussing ideas about and info we get about Green Day currently being in the studio) and simply not post when there's nothing to say on that subject.

Instead of endlessly discussing the state of the thread let's try that!

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Or people could just use it for its intended purpose (discussing ideas about and info we get about Green Day currently being in the studio) and simply not post when there's nothing to say on that subject.

Instead of endlessly discussing the state of the thread let's try that!

Exactly. We should either be posting info about the new album or opinions on what will be on the new album. There's too much unfounded speculation. 

As for experimentation on the new album, I'm not keen on them doing anything too risky- they should just do a 1039/ Kerpunk or Nimrod style album with maybe one experimental song. 

2 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

they should just do a 1039/ Kerpunk or Nimrod style album with maybe one experimental song. 

Last Ride In 2?

Just now, Harry Potter. said:

Last Ride In 2?

I was just thinking that when I listened to that song earlier. I'd love to hear last ride in part 2. 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter. said:

Last Ride In 2?

The final ride in

2 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I was just thinking that when I listened to that song earlier. I'd love to hear last ride in part 2. 

I think LRI is quite boring tbh. It's just so repetitive and Espionage is also. Panic Song is mainly an instrumental and I prefer that because it actually develops into something bigger, and shows Mike Dirnt's skill. Instrumentals shouldn't be repetitive and they should show the band's talent.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and they played Basket Case and then after the song the DJ said that Green Day would be dropping a new album this fall

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived