Is Green Day Irrelevant?

MikeDirntConfused

Being a Foo fan ages you prematurely.

Yeah tbh

But then, is it that important to be popular among teenagers? Maybe they should just age with their audience. If their lyrics reflect something true, they might become more popular with a part of the puplic that has more things in common with them. Successful bands very often voice the thoughts of their generations. Look at foo fighters. When I was 17 I Iistened to them, and today, when they release an album, I can still identify. I still go to concerts and buy albuns. They are still appealing to younger generations, but not only.

Teenagers run the fan accounts, an important part of any band :P 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That really depends on what your mom's definition of done is.  Does she mean that he will never be the frontman for the biggest band in the world again and have millions of screaming 13 year olds hanging his picture on their wall?  If that is the case, I agree with her.  Does she mean he will never write good music ever again?  If that is the case I disagree with her 100%.  He has done it before and he can do it again.  As you say, one bad album doesn't define you or eliminate your talent.  It can just be a road block.  

Or does she mean he is just fully cooked, like a turkey?  

She doesn't expect he'll do anything interesting anytime soon. She's kind of writing him off as a has-been who ruined his career and became a wino. Obviously, she's not well informed, but many people aren't and might have a similar inpression. 

She doesn't expect he'll do anything interesting anytime soon. She's kind of writing him off as a has-been who ruined his career and became a wino. Obviously, she's not well informed, but many people aren't and might have a similar inpression. 

But he has done alot of interesting stuff in recent years, just not with GD.  I know Foreverly was just a series of covers, but his vocals are stunning and mix beautifully with Snorah Jones.  These Paper Bullets is getting very good reviews and even when it doesn't get a good review,it gets a good review for the score.  

It is interesting that she thinks that way because most people around here, that are just casual fans, have pretty much forgotten that he had a meltdown at all.  So they don't really view him as a wino, but more of a band they haven't heard from in some time.     

But he has done alot of interesting stuff in recent years, just not with GD.  I know Foreverly was just a series of covers, but his vocals are stunning and mix beautifully with Snorah Jones.  These Paper Bullets is getting very good reviews and even when it doesn't get a good review,it gets a good review for the score.  

It is interesting that she thinks that way because most people around here, that are just casual fans, have pretty much forgotten that he had a meltdown at all.  So they don't really view him as a wino, but more of a band they haven't heard from in some time.     

Yes, I agree. Foreverly was a good album, I enjoyed it a lot, and honestly I don't mind he did different things rather than Green Day. When Trilogy came out I got fed up with them. I had Tre for weeks when I bothered to listen to it for the first time and I didn't really care about it when I did.

I believe that quality is better than quantity. Focusing on other projects rather than trying to churn out something to "save" Green Day. 

She might say that just to tease me. According to her, he's the filthiest old wino out there. :D

You mean 21st Century Letdown

21 CB is one of my top 4 GD albums, behind AI, Dookie and Warning.  It can be powerful with touching, forceful lyrics and Billie's vocals are the best he has ever done with GD.  Many people love it.  

21 CB is one of my top 4 GD albums, behind AI, Dookie and Warning.  It can be powerful with touching, forceful lyrics and Billie's vocals are the best he has ever done with GD.  Many people love it.  

Many people hate it, too. 21st seems to be have a divided stance between GD fans.

Being a Foo fan ages you prematurely.

Had I not stumbled across a song called "Monkey Wrench" on the radio back in 1997, I wouldn't have found a record called "The Colour and the Shape". Had I not found that record, I wouldn't have started listening to the Foo Fighters, and had I not started listening to the Foo Fighters, I wouldn't have started looking for bands that influenced them. Had that not happened, I wouldn't have gotten into the great classic rock bands of the '70s, and had I not gotten into that arena rock wall of sound, I probably wouldn't have given Green Day a second thought after the shitfest that was Warning. So, basically, if the Foo Fighters hadn't gotten me into that balls-out guitar classic rock sound, I probably wouldn't have cared about AI or gotten back into Green Day, and I wouldn't be here to grace all of you with my presence.

And yes, you do benefit from my presence. I am a kind, warming influence that brightens your day and enriches your Internet experience.

wrong there's a record called 21st Century

He said "good".

and 21st is a great record 

If cliche, uninspired lyrics and music that sounds like it was recorded in a sewer are your thing, sure.

If cliche, uninspired lyrics and music that sounds like it was recorded in a sewer are your thing, sure.

oh we're going to fight 

oh we're going to fight 

We can't fight today. It's White Tim Wednesday. To fight today would be to disrespect the day and all it stands for.

I'll stand down for now...but will remember this.

I thought you liked the Foo Fighters.

Had I not stumbled across a song called "Monkey Wrench" on the radio back in 1997, I wouldn't have found a record called "The Colour and the Shape". Had I not found that record, I wouldn't have started listening to the Foo Fighters, and had I not started listening to the Foo Fighters, I wouldn't have started looking for bands that influenced them. Had that not happened, I wouldn't have gotten into the great classic rock bands of the '70s, and had I not gotten into that arena rock wall of sound, I probably wouldn't have given Green Day a second thought after the shitfest that was Warning. So, basically, if the Foo Fighters hadn't gotten me into that balls-out guitar classic rock sound, I probably wouldn't have cared about AI or gotten back into Green Day, and I wouldn't be here to grace all of you with my presence.

Foo Fighters are a great band

And yes, you do benefit from my presence. I am a kind, warming influence that brightens your day and enriches your Internet experience.

You are so correct.  When I wake up every morning, the first thing I think of is, "What brilliance will stream from Ben's fingertips today?"  Just the thought of the words that will appear before me helps me survive my otherwise dim existence.  Sometimes the words are so beautiful, so meaningful, that I can feel the tears streaming down my face.  And to think, I now know that I owe all this joy and wisdom to a mediocre rock band.

I saw the Foo Fighters live at Slane Castle a few moths ago...they were the headliners but that isn't why I was there, I went for a few of the other acts. Anyway in true Irish weather there were torrential downpours all day and it was unseasonably freezing. The other bands did a brilliant job of keeping everyone from getting frostbite or just pissed off by playing the loudest and fastest songs they had and interacting as much as possible to keep us interested. Foo Fighters came on and Dave told all these "cute" LONG stories that might be nice if we were not standing out being rained on (by this stage we couldn't even see the stage and I was front row due to how heavy the rain was) but somehow they managed to turn their best songs into accoustic shitty versions or half accoustic. I nearly fell asleep. For the first time all day/night people were visibly shaking with the cold because they were standing totally still instead of jumping/dancing. Never been so fucking bored in my life. Oh and I actually like some of their music and have a few albums (admittedly aquired not purchased) but would never EVER go to see them live again even if I was paid. :lol:

• 2 months later...

First of all, why everyone is stuck with Foo Fighters?!? I mean, c'mon is this what all you have got?

I just can't believe that rock music is fading away! So many both classic and young bands are around, it hardly matters if they are hitting the top hits charts, receiving grammys or getting in Hall Of Fame. Who really gives a toss? All they need is a loyal fanbase and need to make more music and do tours. Also I disagree with people saying that Green Day is loosing their vibe as it was during Dookie and AI. Not one, not two, I can name a ton of bands even more senior to Green Day who are still making music and their current releases have been solid. Their relevance is being questioned I guess since Warning but its nothing odd many artists have to deal with it sometimes and they've proven everyone wrong with AI and I've no doubt THEY STILL CAN. All they need is more conventional and heavier approach to their music.

56 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

All they need is more conventional and heavier approach to their music.

I would hardly consider Green Day conventional.  They have always tried to do what they wanted, regardless of what other people thought.  That is why alot of their albums have very different vibes.  I really don't want them to be conventional either and I think that would be a really bad path.  I think they tried to be more conventional on the Trilogy and it really backfired.  I want them to do what they feel like doing, regardless of what people think.  That is the approach they took with AI and they created a masterpiece.

3 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I would hardly consider Green Day conventional.  They have always tried to do what they wanted, regardless of what other people thought.  That is why alot of their albums have very different vibes.  I really don't want them to be conventional either and I think that would be a really bad path.  I think they tried to be more conventional on the Trilogy and it really backfired.  I want them to do what they feel like doing, regardless of what people think.  That is the approach they took with AI and they created a masterpiece.

Trilogy cannot be called "conventional"! They tried to follow other bands during that time. Billie said they wanted to make trilogy an AC/DC and Beatles-esque record and don't forget the bands they covered during 21stCB tour, they just messed up with all these. All I want to say is that they can't be called Irrelevant, they did what they wanted and made AI brilliantly. Once again to do what they want they can take a step like AI but it isn't necessary to make it sound like AI, it can even be a different direction.

2 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Trilogy cannot be called "conventional"! They tried to follow other bands during that time. Billie said they wanted to make trilogy an AC/DC and Beatles-esque record and don't forget the bands they covered during 21stCB tour, they just messed up with all these. All I want to say is that they can't be called Irrelevant, they did what they wanted and made AI brilliantly. Once again to do what they want they can take a step like AI but it isn't necessary to make it sound like AI, it can even be a different direction.

Conventional means to adher to established standards, in other words, to be like others.  Doing what you want to do without caring what others think is unconventional.  Is that what you meant?  

2 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Conventional means to adher to established standards, in other words, to be like others.  Doing what you want to do without caring what others think is unconventional.  Is that what you meant?  

Well conventional cannot be only "sticking to rules and est. standards" even before they got in the Hall Of Fame they stated that they are taking inspiration from early Ramones albums for their next record, it doesn't mean they will sound exactly same they still can do whatever they feel like, while opposite to it during AI they were taking inspiration from ballad albums and some contemporary artists, still they gave it their own sound.

Just now, Siddharth_471 said:

Well conventional cannot be only "sticking to rules and est. standards" even before they got in the Hall Of Fame they stated that they are taking inspiration from early Ramones albums for their next record, it doesn't mean they will sound exactly same they still can do whatever they feel like, while opposite to it during AI they were taking inspiration from ballad albums and some contemporary artists, still they gave it their own sound.

Conventional is only sticking to rules and established standards.  That is the actual definition.  Taking inspiration from someone is not necessarily being conventional.  All artists take inspiration from others.  But the good ones can take that inspiration and make it their own.  

Archived