Is Green Day Irrelevant?

MikeDirntConfused

Isn't it like that with most bands though? Younger people will have heard of their newer stuff, older people more of their older stuff, but still most people who aren't fans only know a couple of their songs. I find it over the top to say a band is already forgotten when 5 years ago they had a number one Grammy award winning album with successful singles, were all over TV, and had a popular world tour. The trilogy wasn't that successful and was barely promoted and now they're on a long break so it's to be expected they won't be at the forefront of many people's minds right now (especially people who were children when 21st CB came out), but I think if they put a good album out and are actually available to promote it more people will know of them and of more of their old stuff again.

I think you're very slightly downplaying Green Day's status :P 

yes, I agree it's completely natural. In fact, lots of people knowing about an artist aren't what makes the artist musically relevant. I don't think band need to be massive in general public in order to be successful in their genre. I'd rather see Green Day as an estabilished, less popular band than churning out another 21 Guns. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only old ppl remember the 90s tho :( 

It really is terrible that I just turned 31 and with my impressive memory of the 90's they won't allow me to retire, I can't get a bus pass and worst of all I have no gray hairs so I still have to bleach my hair if wanna dye it...old age isn't what it used to be...you know back in the 90's ? 

Seriously though to answer the title of this thread...look at Green Day's official site right now. Every single news item is about American Idiot or the musical or HLAHG or some American Idiot branded thingy except for one news item about Dookie being released on cassette. Green Day are Dookie and American Idiot at this point and it seems they plan to flog those horses until they are long dead. It's depressing because I feel if they hadn't taken such long breaks between albums when they were younger and more eager maybe they could have really become the "biggest band in the world" as Billie said he wanted to in interviews. Ok well not really...but at least we would have gotten a lot more awesome records and they deserve to be remembered for more than two records. 

Seriously though to answer the title of this thread...look at Green Day's official site right now. Every single news item is about American Idiot or the musical or HLAHG or some American Idiot branded thingy except for one news item about Dookie being released on cassette. Green Day are Dookie and American Idiot at this point and it seems they plan to flog those horses until they are long dead. It's depressing because I feel if they hadn't taken such long breaks between albums when they were younger and more eager maybe they could have really become the "biggest band in the world" as Billie said he wanted to in interviews. Ok well not really...but at least we would have gotten a lot more awesome records and they deserve to be remembered for more than two records. 

It's very uncommon for a band to be remembered for one record though, let alone two. We all want Green Day to be recognized as the best band ever, but I think their current status is something we all can be proud of. That's something we shouldn't even care about, honestly.

I'm pretty sure they won't milk Dookie and AI forever, at least not in a massive way. The cassette thing is really nothing but a niche release no one outside GDC knows about and HLAHG is a one-of-a-kind movie. They don't seem to be a band who likes to put their best work on display over and over again instead of going on, they've never done that. Even the HOF induction wasn't promoted at all, they don't want to be referred to as an erstwhile band, not yet. On the contrary, I am sure this "double release" is a run-up to the new album, something made to let the name "Green Day" be read again after a little while.   

It will be all about the new record again when it finally comes out. I don't care if Green Day is relevant to the masses, because they're relevant to me. The only thing that matters right now is: Green Day's not dead. And you can be sure of one thing: they're ready to kick ass again all over the world, no doubt!

It's very uncommon for a band to be remembered for one record though, let alone two. We all want Green Day to be recognized as the best band ever, but I think their current status is something we all can be proud of. That's something we shouldn't even care about, honestly.

I'm pretty sure they won't milk Dookie and AI forever, at least not in a massive way. The cassette thing is really nothing but a niche release no one outside GDC knows about and HLAHG is a one-of-a-kind movie. They don't seem to be a band who likes to put their best work on display over and over again instead of going on, they've never done that. Even the HOF induction wasn't promoted at all, they don't want to be referred to as an erstwhile band, not yet. On the contrary, I am sure this "double release" is a run-up to the new album, something made to let the name "Green Day" be read again after a little while.   

It will be all about the new record again when it finally comes out. I don't care if Green Day is relevant to the masses, because they're relevant to me. The only thing that matters right now is: Green Day's not dead. And you can be sure of one thing: they're ready to kick ass again all over the world, no doubt!

I actually disagree with some of your points. This topic is about if Green Day are irrelevant or not. None of us can predict the future. Will they be relevant in five years time? Maybe. Unlikely that they will ever be as relevant as they were during the American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown eras but likely they will have big tours and be splattered all over TV. We don't know for sure they will ever even record another record though. Yeah so it's not very likley that they won't but the topic isn't about the future is my point...it's about the present. Are they irrelevant? At the moment they are fairly unimportant to anyone who doesn't already avidly follow them...like GDC members. You say the HOF induction wasn't promoted at all?! Seriously? Did you not see their twitter/facebook/Instagram accounts for roughly a month before and after the event :lol: Regardless of whether you believe " they won't milk Dookie and AI forever, at least not in a massive way."  the fact is like I said above all of the news on their official site is about AI or related projects and one or two mentions of the Dookie cassette meaning that without those two records (or related merchandise/projects) they would have nothing whatsoever going on now. My point was that it was sad as their other albums were equally good and in some cases better. Also it is depressing to watch a bands nearly 30 year history be reduced to two albums .

I feel like commercially they are over. However I feel they have joined the ranks of Metallica and U2 and have become more of a "touring" band. No matter how tragic their sales are from now on, they will still be able to fill up arenas and stadiums.

I feel the exact same way. I don't think they'll ever reach the heights of AI again, and when they tour, they'll be regarded as a nostalgic act - a band playing their greatest hits.

I feel the exact same way. I don't think they'll ever reach the heights of AI again, and when they tour, they'll be regarded as a nostalgic act - a band playing their greatest hits.

The same happened to Metallica which is understandable after a 30+ year career.

But just look at  Blink-182 which is fairly similar to GreenDay in terms of music style:
They've got his major heights during Enema Of The Sate and Take Off Your Pants & Jackets, during that time it even headline Pop Disaster 2002.

Now they just playing the same hits over & over.

I think that is almost impossible in the future for a rock band  to put out an album like AI because the poopular music are changed to electronixc or disco music and also because the system are changed (you can't sold milions copy of an album anymore)

talking about the breaks between album, the've doing that since Warning:

Nimrod-Warining - 3 years

Warning-AI - 4 years

AI-21CB - 5 years

21CB-Trilogy - 3 years

As the years goes on the more breaks it takes 

They need a sonic reinvention is what they need. Pop Punk is too 90s, early-mid 2000s. Sonically they haven't actually progressed too much since Warning and that was 15 years ago. They have to stop trying to recapture their youth or try to push this "we don't give a fuck" image that they had during the Trilogy era (although, it did seem pretty reflective on the quality of the music). I feel their next album should be more personal, possibly experimental. Maybe they should try working with a new producer or something on the next record. 

It's very uncommon for a band to be remembered for one record though, let alone two.

Tell that to a band like Spoon where pretty much any one of their albums could be considered THE Spoon album. 

They need a sonic reinvention is what they need. Pop Punk is too 90s, early-mid 2000s. Sonically they haven't actually progressed too much since Warning and that was 15 years ago. They have to stop trying to recapture their youth or try to push this "we don't give a fuck" image that they had during the Trilogy era (although, it did seem pretty reflective on the quality of the music). I feel their next album should be more personal, possibly experimental. Maybe they should try working with a new producer or something on the next record. 

Tell that to a band like Spoon where pretty much any one of their albums could be considered THE Spoon album. 

Yes, the 10 people that have actually listened to every Spoon album agree.

While Warning set the stage for a transition to a more mature sound, AI took that a big step forward.  Just the fact that it is a concept aIbum is a huge step forward.  It is difficult to write a good song, but to write a series of good songs that are interconnected is monumentally hard.  So, I disagree that they haven't progressed musically since Warning.  

They haven't really musically progressed since 1039. The fundamentals of their sound have never changed. They've just glossed it up and thrown a few string sections at it.

I don't think the change in popular music style is the sole main issue. I also believe their ages have a lot to do with their popularity decline. Most teenagers don't think of 40 something-year old musicians as cool. During Dookie, the Green Day members were in their early 20s; and during AI, the Green Day members were in their early 30s - both age groups being considered "young" to the mainstream audience at their respective times.

I don't think the change in popular music style is the sole main issue. I also believe their ages have a lot to do with their popularity decline. Most teenagers don't think of 40 something-year old musicians as cool. During Dookie, the Green Day members were in their early 20s; and during AI, the Green Day members were in their early 30s - both age groups being considered "young" to the mainstream audience at their respective times.

Cancelling the promo for the release of the trilogy and then the North American tour, the iHeart incident, combined with the band virtually disappearing for months (6/7) immediately following the release of Uno meaning zero promo for any singles and only a handful of music videos has a LOT more to do with their popularity decline than the fact that they were three years older than when 21st Century Breakdown was released. Combine that with the fact that a lot of the fans who were loyal enough to buy the albums (all three of them) were extremely dissapointed with the content. The lyrics were so shit they made Strangeland look Grammy worthy. I for one wished I'd saved my money and bought a Nickleback album as it probably would have been better :lol:  So to sum it up they have declined because they didn't promote their material at the crucial time (the release date), they cancelled/postponed dates (among other things causing fans to incurr cost such as travel and hotel costs that are non refundable etc and people don't trust or forgive bands for this kind of crap regardless of circumstances because not everyone cares like hardcore fans) and then their albums were shit. No getting away from that one. The trilogy was simply thrown together and should never have been released in that state. Having had great albums from this band in the past the fans expect better and they didn't deliver so they declined in popularity. They have a LOT to prove if and when they make their next move.

They're ridiculously old, that's why they're shit. 

They're ridiculously old, that's why they're shit. 

That, and the fact that they haven't made a good record since AI.

It's the age. What kind of music do you expect from senile old men. 

It's the age. What kind of music do you expect from senile old men. 

The kind of music old ladies and 17 year old brats can all enjoy.:ga:

But then, is it that important to be popular among teenagers? Maybe they should just age with their audience. If their lyrics reflect something true, they might become more popular with a part of the puplic that has more things in common with them. Successful bands very often voice the thoughts of their generations. Look at foo fighters. When I was 17 I Iistened to them, and today, when they release an album, I can still identify. I still go to concerts and buy albuns. They are still appealing to younger generations, but not only.

Why do people think that GD does not appeal to all ages?  Consider this forum as an example, there are active members from early teens to mid-50's.  I know people of all ages that are GD fans, not just teens.  I actually cannot say the same for the Foo Fighters.  All the fans I know are 40+

Why do people think that GD does not appeal to all ages?  Consider this forum as an example, there are active members from early teens to mid-50's.  I know people of all ages that are GD fans, not just teens.  I actually cannot say the same for the Foo Fighters.  All the fans I know are 40+

Ben would take offence to that. He's only mentally 40.

I used to think Green Day's fanbase consisted of teenagers and was actually pleasantly surprised that adults prevail here. On the other hand, most of my friends aren't interested in them much.

The band's problem is that they didn't have a chance to attract a new audience since 2010. Many bands stagnate when they're around for this long, it's nothing new. Some end up splitting up, others overcome the midlife crisis and are still popular, maybe with a different audience. Personally, I wouldn't speak about a unstoppable decline in popularity in this case, because one shit album isn't such a catastrophe. In fact, 99% of people don't know they released an album in 2012 as iheart prevented any promotion. That's not neccessarily good news - my mom is probably not the only one who thinks BJ's done. 

- my mom is probably not the only one who thinks BJ's done. 

That really depends on what your mom's definition of done is.  Does she mean that he will never be the frontman for the biggest band in the world again and have millions of screaming 13 year olds hanging his picture on their wall?  If that is the case, I agree with her.  Does she mean he will never write good music ever again?  If that is the case I disagree with her 100%.  He has done it before and he can do it again.  As you say, one bad album doesn't define you or eliminate your talent.  It can just be a road block.  

Or does she mean he is just fully cooked, like a turkey?  

That really depends on what your mom's definition of done is.  Does she mean that he will never be the frontman for the biggest band in the world again and have millions of screaming 13 year olds hanging his picture on their wall?  If that is the case, I agree with her.  Does she mean he will never write good music ever again?  If that is the case I disagree with her 100%.  He has done it before and he can do it again.  As you say, one bad album doesn't define you or eliminate your talent.  It can just be a road block.  

Or does she mean he is just fully cooked, like a turkey?  

I agree with this. GD can still write good music, but they'll never regain their spot as the top dog - that ship has sailed. 

wrong there's a record called 21st Century

Archived