Green Day playing 924 Gilman St tonight (May 17th)

Insomniac186

My photo! everyone is reposting it... even GDA lol. Without credit. so professional of u guys

anyway last night was amazing

You were at the show? :woot:

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the bedroom, working on a story on my laptop, and Brandon opens the door, looking all serious. All he says is "You saw he's wearing the wedding ring, right?" Doesn't even say who. I say "yes," he says "OK, good" and walks out.

... like, what even? He knows way too many GDC conspiracy jokes. :lol: I guess he's been looking at pictures from the show, too.

I'm in the bedroom, working on a story on my laptop, and Brandon opens the door, looking all serious. All he says is "You saw he's wearing the wedding ring, right?" Doesn't even say who. I say "yes," he says "OK, good" and walks out.

... like, what even? He knows way too many GDC conspiracy jokes. :lol: I guess he's been looking at pictures from the show, too.

He will be posting fangirl confessions before long - that's so funny though.

He will be posting fangirl confessions before long - that's so funny though.

Billie Joe was his phone background for a while after the show. I knew I married him for a reason. He's a fangirl at heart, too. :P

Billie Joe was his phone background for a while after the show. I knew I married him for a reason. He's a fangirl at heart, too. :P

Everyone has a little fangirl in them, no matter how much they deny it.

It's kind of funny but once I saw the set list last night I wasn't as excited to stick around this thread. The excitement is usually waiting for the song updates. But then I started watching the videos and all that changed. Doesn't really matter to me what they play as long as they are out there still playing shows and I get to watch the videos! (Being there would be better but that's unrealistic.)

that is gold.

he totally has a man crush.

i don't blame him.

It's kind of funny but once I saw the set list last night I wasn't as excited to stick around this thread. The excitement is usually waiting for the song updates. But then I started watching the videos and all that changed. Doesn't really matter to me what they play as long as they are out there still playing shows and I get to watch the videos! (Being there would be better but that's unrealistic.)

Yeah, I went to bed as soon as that set was posted :P

Yeah, I went to bed as soon as that set was posted :P

Me too. :lol:

Everyone has a little fangirl in them, no matter how much they deny it.

Just ask ceadog

that is gold.

he totally has a man crush.

i don't blame him.

Maybe he's happy that Billie Joe makes me so happy? Or maybe he's also captivated by his charming smile and fluffy hair? I'll never know for sure. :P

alan_snodgrass_green_day_20150517_013_72

Speaking of Billie Joe making me happy... Dayum. :wub:

With the suit coat on, I'm somewhat ashamed to say he can actually pull off the stripes and polka dot combo. This photo is so beautiful it looks like a painting. :woot:

Fuck, I hate try to post on here with my phone, lol.

FYI, mandajane and I are two completely different people, lol.

Idiotic Tendency? Is that you? :huh:

Just realized that Jeff Matika wasn't there. This show keeps getting better and better

The band were allowed to play because the Gilman members took a collective vote for a one time exception to have a major label band play.

Hello folks! The posters for Day 1 & Day 2 of the Fire Relief Benefit are now available for online purchase! Please help spread the word!

You can buy the set of two posters for $20 and save on shipping or buy the single Day 1 (GREEN DAY, ENEMIES, BOBBY JOE EBOLA) for $10 plus shipping at this link: http://www.1984printing.com/store/

All proceeds directly benefit 1984 Printing, AK Press, and residents from both warehouses affected by the fire.

Illustrated by Jesse Michaels of Operation Ivy! Day1-2.jpg11″ x 17″ Posters (buy one of each day and save on shipping!)

DAY 1 – NOOTHGRUSH, BRAINOIL, BADR VOGU, STREET EATERS, MALDITOS, YOUR ENEMY, AKATHARSIA, THE CALL UP, TOMAS MONIZ, MC: JELLO BIAFRA
Saturday, 9 May 2015 at 924 Gilman Street, Berkeley, California 94710.

DAY 2 – GREEN DAY, ENEMIES, BOBBY JOE EBOLA
Sunday, 17 May 2015 at 924 Gilman Street, Berkeley, California 94710.

Illustrations by Jesse Michaels; Layout by Caoimhe Carty; Printed by 1984 Printing in Oakland, CA, each poster is printed on 80 lb Raw Finish Grocer Kraft cover stock, 30% post-consumer waste with recycled black and silver metallic ink. Shipped flat, USPS Priority Mail.

If Lady Cobra was there, I'm surprised they didn't pull her on stage for an unplanned live version of Nightlife :lol:

If Lady Cobra was there, I'm surprised they didn't pull her on stage for an unplanned live version of Nightlife :lol:

Thank god billie was wearing his wedding ring.

Thank god billie was wearing his wedding ring.

Whew :lol: hopefully now divorce speculation is over :P

Did Punk Break? Green Day Played Gilman Last Night

The unannounced performance benefitted AK Press, 1984 Printing, and individuals displaced by a devastating fire in March.

"So the last time we played here was September 6th, 1993," announced Billie Joe Armstrong. He was on stage at storied Berkeley venue 924 Gilman Street, flanked by Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, Jason White, and Jason Freese. It confirmed for the sold-out crowd an open secret stirring the local punk community in recent weeks: Green Day would perform at Gilman, as part of a concert series benefitting AK Press, 1984 Printing, and individuals displaced by a devastating fire in March. Armstrong continued, "Mike Dirnt's first pit was here at Christ on Parade." Green Day opened with "99 Revolutions."

The band appeared giddy to revisit the hangar-like room (even if they shacked up at Pyramid Brewery across the street beforehand) and for nearly two hours the audience reciprocated Green Day’s enthusiasm. It was heavy on hits and guests: Jello Biafra introduced the group, emphasizing the cause (and scolding a parent who apparently didn’t properly protect their child’s ears.) Mike Pelino, vocalist of specially reunited opening act The Enemies – whose drummer, Jason Willer, lived in a building caught in the blaze – joined the group for one song. Rancid’s Tim Armstrong guested for a cover "Knowledge," the standby track of his old Gilman-steeped act, Operation Ivy. Reunions were abundant: The sounds of former punk peers uproariously reacquainting in the crowd was the evening's constant refrain.

It was a little incongruous to see Green Day's stadium-calibrated rock gestures – such as Tre Cool leaping atop his stool at the finale, arms splayed akimbo – crammed onto a low platform beneath the venue wall's permanent fixture: an imposing "NO STAGEDIVING" sign with little actual authority. It was also a treat. Green Day is composed of journeymen performers, all keen to deliver beloved material with gusto and fidelity to the recordings. When Green Day strayed from studio arrangements, extending a solo or bridge, Armstrong effectively signaled to the crowd that it was special, then emphatically directed the group back to familiar titular sentiments.

Not everyone's happy about this. Armstrong didn't mention that his group hasn't played Gilman since that distant September because the club banned major-label acts around the same time, largely due to the Green Day's popular ascension and the political ramifications of commercial interest in a staunchly independent scene. Some punks perceive Green Day's appearance as Gilman reneging on its principles. Still, there were no indications of dissenting punk opinion last night, especially not in front of the stage.

The first crowd-surfer looked about thirteen, likewise with the first intrepid stage-diver. Green Day enlisted some gentlemen to mind such audience transgressions, but they were pretty restrained. Another kid, clad in a studded denim vest, snatched the mic in time to shout the last few lines of "Holiday" before blissfully reclining back into the churning crowd.

He didn't appear to resent the symbolism of Green Day's return to Gilman. No one distributed indignant tracts outside the club (it's happened.) As the audience spilled out into the street, a young Gilman volunteer did stand by, entreating attendees for another donation to those harmed by the fire. AK Press, meanwhile, handed out its latest book catalog. The introduction reads, "With support like this, it will make more than a fire to stop us."

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/CultureSpyBlog/archives/2015/05/18/did-punk-break-green-day-played-gilman-last-night-photos

20150520_GreenDay_Credit_BertJohnson-810

20150520_GreenDay_Credit_BertJohnson-843

Did Punk Break? Green Day Played Gilman Last Night

The unannounced performance benefitted AK Press, 1984 Printing, and individuals displaced by a devastating fire in March.

"So the last time we played here was September 6th, 1993," announced Billie Joe Armstrong. He was on stage at storied Berkeley venue 924 Gilman Street, flanked by Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, Jason White, and Jason Freese. It confirmed for the sold-out crowd an open secret stirring the local punk community in recent weeks: Green Day would perform at Gilman, as part of a concert series benefitting AK Press, 1984 Printing, and individuals displaced by a devastating fire in March. Armstrong continued, "Mike Dirnt's first pit was here at Christ on Parade." Green Day opened with "99 Revolutions."

The band appeared giddy to revisit the hangar-like room (even if they shacked up at Pyramid Brewery across the street beforehand) and for nearly two hours the audience reciprocated Green Day’s enthusiasm. It was heavy on hits and guests: Jello Biafra introduced the group, emphasizing the cause (and scolding a parent who apparently didn’t properly protect their child’s ears.) Mike Pelino, vocalist of specially reunited opening act The Enemies – whose drummer, Jason Willer, lived in a building caught in the blaze – joined the group for one song. Rancid’s Tim Armstrong guested for a cover "Knowledge," the standby track of his old Gilman-steeped act, Operation Ivy. Reunions were abundant: The sounds of former punk peers uproariously reacquainting in the crowd was the evening's constant refrain.

It was a little incongruous to see Green Day's stadium-calibrated rock gestures – such as Tre Cool leaping atop his stool at the finale, arms splayed akimbo – crammed onto a low platform beneath the venue wall's permanent fixture: an imposing "NO STAGEDIVING" sign with little actual authority. It was also a treat. Green Day is composed of journeymen performers, all keen to deliver beloved material with gusto and fidelity to the recordings. When Green Day strayed from studio arrangements, extending a solo or bridge, Armstrong effectively signaled to the crowd that it was special, then emphatically directed the group back to familiar titular sentiments.

Not everyone's happy about this. Armstrong didn't mention that his group hasn't played Gilman since that distant September because the club banned major-label acts around the same time, largely due to the Green Day's popular ascension and the political ramifications of commercial interest in a staunchly independent scene. Some punks perceive Green Day's appearance as Gilman reneging on its principles. Still, there were no indications of dissenting punk opinion last night, especially not in front of the stage.

The first crowd-surfer looked about thirteen, likewise with the first intrepid stage-diver. Green Day enlisted some gentlemen to mind such audience transgressions, but they were pretty restrained. Another kid, clad in a studded denim vest, snatched the mic in time to shout the last few lines of "Holiday" before blissfully reclining back into the churning crowd.

He didn't appear to resent the symbolism of Green Day's return to Gilman. No one distributed indignant tracts outside the club (it's happened.) As the audience spilled out into the street, a young Gilman volunteer did stand by, entreating attendees for another donation to those harmed by the fire. AK Press, meanwhile, handed out its latest book catalog. The introduction reads, "With support like this, it will make more than a fire to stop us."

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/CultureSpyBlog/archives/2015/05/18/did-punk-break-green-day-played-gilman-last-night-photos

20150520_GreenDay_Credit_BertJohnson-810

20150520_GreenDay_Credit_BertJohnson-843

Wow, Billie really looks like Fink from the Network in this last shot.

...I'm totally sad to miss GD--last time, week of 9/11, I decided after work in that Sunday to see Adeline Records' showcase to see their surprise set.

But even rarer would be The Enemies playing with the Pelino-Nipple-Dave Ed line-up. Checkout and track down their Lookout Records releases ('Seize The Day' and split CD with Pitch Black)...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-ENEMiES/1558169424408004?pnref=story

Archived