Billie Joe's Highest Singing?

CreatureQuake

Actually, I'd disagree with it being all about range. You can have tenors singing low and baritones reaching high notes, but it's a matter of the texture of the voice, not just the range. I'd say he has a very baritone-ish quality to his voice, and although he can go "high", it's still not a comfortable place for him to sing. For example, Steve Perry of Journey was considered a tenor (actually a specific type of tenor) with a very smooth and "thin" voice, while Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is considered a baritone with a much more powerful, full voice. And these two singers, in their prime mind you, had roughly the same vocal range, but completely different voices. Also, Freddie Mercury was a baritone, despite his great range. So it's not just about how high or low they go, but how much force and power they are able to produce at different places in their range.

Dickinson is a tenor actually. And he has a range of over 4 octaves. It's almost unfair to compare Billie Joe to him :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dickinson is a tenor actually. And he has a range of over 4 octaves. It's almost unfair to compare Billie Joe to him :P

I see what you mean, but I meant to compare him to Steve Perry only, not to Billie. Sorry if that was unclear :P

Actually, I'd disagree with it being all about range. You can have tenors singing low and baritones reaching high notes, but it's a matter of the texture of the voice, not just the range. I'd say he has a very baritone-ish quality to his voice, and although he can go "high", it's still not a comfortable place for him to sing. For example, Steve Perry of Journey was considered a tenor (actually a specific type of tenor) with a very smooth and "thin" voice, while Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden is considered a baritone with a much more powerful, full voice. And these two singers, in their prime mind you, had roughly the same vocal range, but completely different voices. Also, Freddie Mercury was a baritone, despite his great range. So it's not just about how high or low they go, but how much force and power they are able to produce at different places in their range.

Sorry but Freddie was a tenor, no way he was a baritone.

Sorry but Freddie was a tenor, no way he was a baritone.

Although I'd like to hear your arguments for that point of view, I think I already know why you'd say that. First of all, let me just make clear how why I argued that he was a baritone. To classify singers as either this or that is not easy, particularly not singers with such huge vocal ranges as Freddie. What most people tend to agree on (but certainly not everyone) is that Freddie was a baritenor. It's too difficult to lump him into one category, so the two categories are merged. This is perhaps not a classical way of doing it, but it describes him fairly well. (Ref this page for explanation: http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1207869/freddie-mercurys-vocal-type.aspx)

However, when we try to classify voices like we do here, what criteria should we look at? If we look strictly at the range where the singer sings in, then we run into a bit of a problem. Now, it's an important point to acknowledge that we might have been going about this a bit differently, and thus ended up talking past each other. So I'm trying to explain my reasoning here. If we look at Freddie, his range stretches beyond both the baritone and the tenor range. So is he a tenor or a baritone? And not to mention singers that cover bass, baritone and tenor.

I'm just saying that their sung range isn't enough to determine their type of voice. Surely it's enough to classify a piece of music, but it doesn't say a lot about a persons voice. Although claiming he was a baritone might be a bit stubborn, I'd argue that his type of voice isn't just "tenor".

I would say he's a high baritone maybe? Cause his high notes don't sound strained, but he can go pretty low, like in Rotting, Working Class Hero, Whatsername, etc. As for his highest studio note, there's some screams and stuff, but his highest actual cleanly sung, non-falsetto note seems to be an A4, which is in Disappearing Boy, 21st Century Breakdown, Makeout Party, and a bunch of other songs.

Yep ! And on 21st Century Breakdown some of his own backing vocals are pretty high, especially during the "I praise liberty..." part.

Ooh I want to know what category he is. Mostly because I'm pretty sure whatever he is I'm the same :lol:, Green Day are the only band I know of where I can very comfortably sing along with every song, his pitch is just right for me. Also based on that I don't think his range is that wide? Because I know mine isn't and out of all their songs there's only two that have notes that are slightly hard to sing because of being too low and none that are too high (I have zero technical knowledge on this so my only way of judging is to compare him to myself lol, but I'm interested in it).

I thought the same thing about the songs being easy to sing along to but I'm an alto, so if he's a baritone that can't be an accurate way of judging :lol: this is fascinating though (I have zero knowledge on it too even though I'm in a choir...)

The backvocals in the last chorus of X-Kid (Mike singing) are very very high.

The first time I heard thar, I was very impressed

Mike has fucking incredible range.

I personally don't count his falsetto notes as they are "fake high notes" if you get what i mean? its easier than taking the note with your normal singing.

in 21 guns on AAF during the solo he gets really high when he sings "stoooo-OOOOHHHNE"

i believe its one of the highest I've heard him sing without falsetto.

Also when he sings (or screams) in Highway to hell and Rock And Roll

Not sure if that's Billie or Mike (or maybe even Jason?), since Billie's done a lot of the harmonies since 21st Century Breakdown.

Not sure if that's Billie or Mike (or maybe even Jason?), since Billie's done a lot of the harmonies since 21st Century Breakdown.

Billie Joe is definitely doing the low backvocals on the chorus, the highest ones are from Mike imo.

Billie sings pretty high when he sings Nobody likes you... before wake me up when September ends on Bullet in a Bible

Mike has fucking incredible range.

Mike has an excellent voice, as shown in Governator.

In future albums I'd love to see mike as lead singer for a song or two

• 3 weeks later...

I've been analysing Billie Joe's singing since I made this post and I've come to a conclusion about his highest singing.

The CAPS are where he hits said note.

Studio: Lady cobra. He hits an A above middle C. Which is an A on the high E string of the guitar. (I don't wanna SUIcide..)

Live: We Are The Champions. He hits an A above middle C. (We are the champions... WE are THE champions. No time FOR losers..)

King For A Day/Shout. He hits a B above middle C. (I want you to know... I want you TO know right now)

Studio/Live: Going To Pasalacqua. In the studio version it's in E standard tuning so he hits an A above middle C. But when he does it live he uses Blue, so it's in a 1/2 step down tuning, meaning he only hits the G# above middle C, which he hits in several songs including the "hey-oh"s in Letterbomb live. His epic "careeeeeeeeeee" in some Jesus Of Suburbia performances. And in Oh Love.

I'm still shocked that he can hit that note in Shout every single night towards the end of a long two hour show. Especially on tour. I think that's why Tre sang that part on alot of 21CB tour.

But yeah there ya go. Figured it out xD.

• 5 months later...

This is all bullshit, Mercury was a lyric tenor on his prime and got darker in the 80s due to nodules and smoking like a chimney, he's never been a baritone and never had the very low baritone notes, let alone the baritone quality, the word that spread out in the US about Mercury being a baritone is just pure shite, same thing Dickinson, lyric tenor with a different style, surely more refined than Mercury and many others, hence the powerful voice.

And Billie is a low tenor indeed, he doesn't care to hit super high notes cause he doesn't sing metal, and any voice can hit falsettone high notes, what really speaks volume about a vocal type is how confident you're on the passaggio, Billie is even too fluid from E4-G4 and that's the rogue point for any baritone where they would die to sing in that area the way Billie does with his speech quality. Billie actually has a very extended falsetto, if he trained it for power metal quality he could sing Dream Theater just fine

I'm still shocked that he can hit that note in Shout every single night towards the end of a long two hour show. Especially on tour. I think that's why Tre sang that part on alot of 21CB tour.

But yeah there ya go. Figured it out xD.

That's called talent, that's why he's there, and may others aren't, anyway only a tenor can hold out on those notes,a baritone wouldn't, Billie sings most of his work in speech quality and doesn't mix so much

Billie Joe's highest singing? Probably that Chicago performance of Jaded. That was some really high singing.

Did I seriously fucking say Jaded?!

She. The song was She.

I need to start sleeping at night again.

Archived