Live album for 99 Revolutions Tour?

ZSebs

Well, if Green Day didn't record their shows it wouldn't even be possible to release a live album now would it? And how is that an argument?

I have two words for you, dude: POST PRODUCTION

It's not just the guy with the camera burning the raw file to a DVD.

I'd like to direct you to Awesome as Fuck's wikipedia page, it lists a staggering team of 20 people involved directly in the post-production of that DVD/CD; 8 engineers on the CD, 10 on the DVD besides Chris Dugan. And then there's the guy who made the artwork. And that is not nearly all the expenses of such a project, a lot of other people surely had minor parts to play. And promo is expensive too, especially when the mainstream doesn't care about Green Day at this specific point in time.

You argument about how Warner would release a live album over a studio album any day, doesn't make a lot of sense either. It's two completely different things and can not be compared. Yes, people buy live albums because they contain hits that they know, and maybe it's from a tour they went too or maybe didn't get to see in person. But without new original music some time to time there is no fans to buy the live album. A live album only works if the band that made it is in the spotlight at that point in time, which often means just after they released a studio album. Some of the biggest acts in the world could maybe pull it off, the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, but let's face it, Green Day is not really relevant to the world right now, and therefore they are not relevant to Warner Bros either until they are ready to release new music and make some money for them.

21st didn't have huge sales when AAF came out Warner was still in the red on that project (I know I was working at Warner at that time)

But people can wonder if there will be or would be as GD has had live releases for all their albums on Warner with the exception for Nimrod

Parking Parking EP came out for Dookie

There was a EP for Insomniac

Tune In Tokyo for Warning

Then BIAB and AAF as well as another EP

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21st didn't have huge sales when AAF came out Warner was still in the red on that project (I know I was working at Warner at that time)

But people can wonder if there will be or would be as GD has had live releases for all their albums on Warner with the exception for Nimrod

Parking Parking EP came out for Dookie

There was a EP for Insomniac

Tune In Tokyo for Warning

Then BIAB and AAF as well as another EP

Nice dodge, geez. :rolleyes:

All of these were EP's, not full albums, and they had no DVD attached either. They were all exclusive to Japan too, and that's because there is a market for such releases in Japan. Japan actually did get some exclusive live tracks from the trilogy on the 'Dos! Deluxe version' too, so live tracks was released. Besides, OP clearly meant a Live Album in the style of BIAB and AFF, with high quality audio and an accompanying DVD. And 21CB did well, just not compared to American Idiot, and their other albums, but they still rode the the AI wave a little bit, and their tour did great either way. Uno, Dos and Tre sold under 700k combined, 21CB sold 1.5M, it's all relative, and we're talking about why the Trilogy didn't get a live album, remember that. And the fact that you worked at Warner clearly only made you a pseudo-expert on their business strategies. I'm working on logic here, not some insider knowledge that I pretend to have.

What's with all the negativity? You guys would not want a live album to come your way? Makes no sense to me.

What's with all the negativity? You guys would not want a live album to come your way? Makes no sense to me.

Sure, it would be nice, I'd like a live album and a DVD from each show of the whole tour, but that's not what the discussion's about

Nice dodge, geez. :rolleyes:

All of these were EP's, not full albums, and they had no DVD attached either. They were all exclusive to Japan too, and that's because there is a market for such releases in Japan. Japan actually did get some exclusive live tracks from the trilogy on the 'Dos! Deluxe version' too, so live tracks was released. Besides, OP clearly meant a Live Album in the style of BIAB and AFF, with high quality audio and an accompanying DVD. And 21CB did well, just not compared to American Idiot, and their other albums, but they still rode the the AI wave a little bit, and their tour did great either way. Uno, Dos and Tre sold under 700k combined, 21CB sold 1.5M, it's all relative, and we're talking about why the Trilogy didn't get a live album, remember that. And the fact that you worked at Warner clearly only made you a pseudo-expert on their business strategies. I'm working on logic here, not some insider knowledge that I pretend to have.

You think cause 21st sold 1.5 mil that automatically pays off all the promo fees and other costs???

21st was their most costly album (mainly Warners fault)

But as for me knowing Warner's practices not all would never say that or that I'm an expert but I know enough on how they work and their mindset on things

I agree they most likely aren't going to im just saying they could as they have at least one show filmed and all shows audio recorded

The band themselves had the SXSW show filmed

You think cause 21st sold 1.5 mil that automatically pays off all the promo fees and other costs???

21st was their most costly album (mainly Warners fault)

But as for me knowing Warner's practices not all would never say that or that I'm an expert but I know enough on how they work and their mindset on things

I agree they most likely aren't going to im just saying they could as they have at least one show filmed and all shows audio recorded

The band themselves had the SXSW show filmed

Again, we're not talking about 21st Century Breakdown here, but both that and the trilogy surely turned a decent profit, just not a good one by Green Day standards.

basically any hope for the trilogy went as soon as billie went into rehab...

Isn't "Tune in, Tokyo..." finally being released outside of Japan or something?

Yeah but that's old as fuck and we've had access to it for years

Didn't it come out in 2001, I think?

True, but I'd rather have it be released outside of Japan than not released outside of Japan. Can't wait to get a vinyl copy of it.

When does it come out? Friday or something?

Oh, and it should have been Foot in Mouth...

I think the best thing they could do for a live album for the trilogy is take maybe 12-15 songs from the pre-trilogy shows of only trilogy songs.

I loved the trilogy and as a fan I would love a live album for it but I'm not sure they would from a financial standpoint but with Green Day you never know! I mean I never expected Tune in Tokyo to come out in the states on VINYL of all formats.

That is not what matters, it is when the tour ended that matters.

The 99 Revolutions tour had its last show in Aug 2013, 15 months ago

I'm sure Australia would beg to differ! All the people there who went to see their five shows in Feb & March 2014 ending in Perth on March 3rd would say the tour ended eight months ago. They may have been technically festival dates but so were a large number of the European dates of the 99 Revolutions Tour besides what's the difference? They played a full set, same setlist (nearly exactly the same every night!) and even wore the same outfits.

Anyway my response is likely to bring hate but honestly I found Billie's voice to be pretty damn bad on this past tour so I definitely do not need a live album from it. Sorry Billie. Also agree with some other posters in that youtube has made the need for a live album of every tour unnecessary.

I'm sure Australia would beg to differ! All the people there who went to see their five shows in Feb & March 2014 ending in Perth on March 3rd would say the tour ended eight months ago. They may have been technically festival dates but so were a large number of the European dates of the 99 Revolutions Tour besides what's the difference? They played a full set, same setlist (nearly exactly the same every night!) and even wore the same outfits.

Anyway my response is likely to bring hate but honestly I found Billie's voice to be pretty damn bad on this past tour so I definitely do not need a live album from it. Sorry Billie. Also agree with some other posters in that youtube has made the need for a live album of every tour unnecessary.

I didn't find Billies voice that bad except on Stray Heart seems like he can't pull that off live

I didn't find Billies voice that bad except on Stray Heart seems like he can't pull that off live

Yeah when I watched the Rock am Ring performance I was surprised on how bad it sounds live

Yeah when I watched the Rock am Ring performance I was surprised on how bad it sounds live

Stray Heart was one of my favs but at SXSW he sounded out of tune in a lot of spots in it made me take it down a few pegs

Stray Heart seems pretty boring live

99% sure they won't release one, but i really do want them to. not only because i do really like the Trilogy, but also because there's a good chance i'd be in it :lol:

Archived