Billie Joe, Joey, and Jason White performing at 1-2-3-4 Go Records

djrossstar

Before the Opposites tour started they played Strung to Your Ribcage and Hope For An Angel at 5 concerts in a row. Yeah :cry:

You'd have to be deaf to think that this isn't amazing.

(They play it at every show for a reason :P )

guess I'm deaf

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so is Biffy's haha, it's like 1000 times better than their new stuff.

3 of their best songs

Please don't quote Youtube videos :)

That's because you saw them three times in the same tour :P They don't change their set super drastically from show to show. Some bands do, and I understand if you wish Green Day were one of those bands. But they *do* change their setlist somewhat between different legs of a tour (especially if they're hitting the same continent twice) and certainly between completely different tours. If you compare the setlists from past tours (or future ones), you'll find more variation. If you compare three mostly close together dates, though, they're going to be mostly similar.

You really would've hated the American Idiot tour, as that had literally the exact same setlist for 2 years, pretty much :lol: Apart from those few times when they'd decide to play the whole album front-to-back instead. I saw them three times that tour and, apart from one or two song changes, the show was identical throughout. But then I saw them 5 times on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and got 5 mostly different shows, with certain chunks that were sameish, but not 100% identical. One was a smaller club gig, but the other 4 were all arena/amphitheater shows. I only saw them twice on the trilogy tour and saw two different shows from that, though, again, one was a smaller gig. If they had hit up North America a second time, I'd've expected that setlist to be different too, and I was jealous of some of the songs they played while in Europe, but all in all, I understand why they packed it in early this time around.

That said, there are certain songs, certain bits, that have existed in their setlist for years and years, and every time a new tour comes out, there is debate about whether it's time to let those bits go or not. So, yeah, I do understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting them to shake things up more, but it's not necessarily a matter of them saving certain songs specifically for club shows.

I'd love to see a list of the shows you went to. What small club gig did they play on the 21cb tour that wasn't FBHT?

There's a fairly obvious answer to me. When you have an "official" show, you have an arena full of people who a) all paid a decent sum of money to be there B) have probably only heard their singles. I think it is clear by now that GD feels they owe it to these fans to give them the show that the majority of people in there want to see. Which is the greatest hits show. I have no issue with it. Do I wish there were shows like this one where they go crazy with the setlist? Of course. But I completely understand why they don't.

As has been said, the majority of people who go to shows are more casual fans of Green Day, not hardcore listeners like the folks on here who know their entire discography and thensome from back to front. Even for people who may or may not be repeat attendees, there's a high chance they only own or know of American Idiot, Dookie, etc. The ones that sold the most copies and/or had the most radio hits. Not to mention, I've been to 11 Green Day shows so far (and I know there's people in here who've clocked way more than that), and I can safely say that I have yet to go to a show that was even 50% familiar faces. And every one I've had people on the line or in my general vicinity inside who were first-timers. Green Day gets new fans all the time. And those fans have to start somewhere. Then you get the parents dragging their kids, kids dragging their parents, boyfriends dragging girlfriends, girlfriends dragging boyfriends, etc etc etc. Hell, at my own first Green Day show, the only thing I owned was International Superhits. That was all I knew. But it was enough to get by, and I thoroughlyenjoyed myself and chose to come back for more and to investigate further, which is why I am here now. You're never going to have a full arena singing along to 2000 Light Years Away or Walking Alone or some likewise obscure album track. Not like you do for the hits. And that's why those songs are always going to have a place on the setlist. Unfortunately, when you have as much material as Green Day does, the list of hit singles versus rarities becomes longer and longer and longer. I give them credit for trying to mix it up by throwing a curveball or two in every now and then, but they're always going to emphasize the crowd-pleasers at the big shows.

Of course, that's a given. But there are plenty of bands out there who can do the 'hits' and still give the loyal fans a rare song or two. It's not that big of a deal - don't get me wrong, obviously Green Day is my favourite band and I think they're fantastic live; but I think they can be very lazy when it comes to the setlist and they're probably one of the most predictable bands ever. They've been doing the same King For a Day/Shout routine for 10 years, wasting so much time when they could easily be playing a few more songs instead. I think it's just more about them being selective about what they play. Even take Dirty Rotten Bastards; probably the most liked song from the trilogy and they know so damn well that fans want to hear it, yet it still hasn't been played live. It's only once in a blue moon like Quebec City 2010, where fans get a real, exciting and unpredictable Green Day experience.

Of course, that's a given. But there are plenty of bands out there who can do the 'hits' and still give the loyal fans a rare song or two. It's not that big of a deal - don't get me wrong, obviously Green Day is my favourite band and I think they're fantastic live; but I think they can be very lazy when it comes to the setlist and they're probably one of the most predictable bands ever. They've been doing the same King For a Day/Shout routine for 10 years, wasting so much time when they could easily be playing a few more songs instead. I think it's just more about them being selective about what they play. Even take Dirty Rotten Bastards; probably the most liked song from the trilogy and they know so damn well that fans want to hear it, yet it still hasn't been played live. It's only once in a blue moon like Quebec City 2010, where fans get a real, exciting and unpredictable Green Day experience.

if they played rare stuff every night, it wouldn't be rare anymore. It's not wasting time, it's performing a concert. It's having fun. If Green Day noticed the fans didn't have fun with KFAD, they wouldn't perform it anymore

if they played rare stuff every night, it wouldn't be rare anymore. It's not wasting time, it's performing a concert. It's having fun. If Green Day noticed the fans didn't have fun with KFAD, they wouldn't perform it anymore

Perhaps they need to ask their fans then because people around me were pretty sick of it - also I was standing with newbies on another day & they walked off & saw another band.

To be fair they have a lot to pick from - so they could mix it up more is what I am suggesting.

Perhaps they need to ask their fans then because people around me were pretty sick of it - also I was standing with newbies on another day & they walked off & saw another band.

To be fair they have a lot to pick from - so they could mix it up more is what I am suggesting.

Metallica's tour, they're having the ticket buyers vote on the setlists before the shows, the setlists are still mostly hits, but they have pulled out a few rare songs every show.

I would be afraid if GD do like Metallica, we will probably get a show full of ballads and with and only a few oldschool ones

Metallica's tour, they're having the ticket buyers vote on the setlists before the shows, the setlists are still mostly hits, but they have pulled out a few rare songs every show.

that would be good to have the option.

that would be good to have the option.

But like Maiccon said, it'd probably all be 21 CB and AI tracks, cause that's what the majority of casual fans these day are into. Like, all the casual GD fans at my school ONLY have AI or 21CB, there would be more of that stuff

But like Maiccon said, it'd probably all be 21 CB and AI tracks, cause that's what the majority of casual fans these day are into. Like, all the casual GD fans at my school ONLY have AI or 21CB, there would be more of that stuff

This would never happen if people voted on it but i just wish they would play most of the songs from their very first record just to hear the improved drumming on them. Maybe smaller theatre like venues would be better for mixing up setlists. Also, I know some bands like AC/DC have done fanclub only shows that are in between small and big venues. So maybe that would gurantee the audience would enjoy the deeper cuts. The problem with that tho is there may not be enough hardcore fans who like the older stuff to fill a medium sized venue of 10,000-15,000. Like I'm sure the idiot club is made up of strictly AI and 21 CB fans for the most part.

This would never happen if people voted on it but i just wish they would play most of the songs from their very first record just to hear the improved drumming on them. Maybe smaller theatre like venues would be better for mixing up setlists. Also, I know some bands like AC/DC have done fanclub only shows that are in between small and big venues. So maybe that would gurantee the audience would enjoy the deeper cuts. The problem with that tho is there may not be enough hardcore fans who like the older stuff to fill a medium sized venue of 10,000-15,000. Like I'm sure the idiot club is made up of strictly AI and 21 CB fans for the most part.

Idiot club, probably not just new fans, but the majority of concert goers are new fans. And while I disagree about the drumming, I like John's drumming, I do recognize that it was poorly mixed and could've been louder. But hey, that's the price of cheap fast production

Right the production is part of it but I really do prefer Tre's drumming a lot more. Even kerplunk songs are a lot better live. I just can't get enough of disappearing boy, Caulfield, At the library, and I was there from the 21CB tour. Wish they would play razorbacks as a full band.

Anyway, the trilogy being sort of a flop and the band being kinda tired of 21CB songs maybe the next record will be more of a vintage green day sound getting a properly lengthed tour with more variety in terms of the size of the venues. One can only hope.

I'd love to see a list of the shows you went to. What small club gig did they play on the 21cb tour that wasn't FBHT?

Lol, I'll PM it to you, so this thread doesn't get more off-topic than it already is.

I've already responded to these points in my other three or so posts, but to make it a bit simpler, my point was that Green Day have and do throw in a rare song or two into the shows. But the thing is, once the rare song gets played at two or three big arena gigs, people stop considering it as "rare" and start considering it as common place. Likewise, a song that was played at almost every show of a tour when it was new can start to feel like a rarity if it isn't played much after that. It's all relative. And people will always complain about not getting to hear their faves as often, which is understandable, but it's also logically unavoidable. It's a catch-22.

10 years later doing the exact same thing? Some things just get old.

I've already responded to these points in my other three or so posts, but to make it a bit simpler, my point was that Green Day have and do throw in a rare song or two into the shows. But the thing is, once the rare song gets played at two or three big arena gigs, people stop considering it as "rare" and start considering it as common place. Likewise, a song that was played at almost every show of a tour when it was new can start to feel like a rarity if it isn't played much after that. It's all relative. And people will always complain about not getting to hear their faves as often, which is understandable, but it's also logically unavoidable. It's a catch-22.

...I've been to enough concerts of the same bands to know how it works.

Even if they did something like Church on Sunday every 4 or 5 shows, and Brat every 4 or 5 shows, and maybe even something like At the Library every 4 or 5 shows, then it would still make things more interesting and less predictable because you wouldn't know what's getting played when. Because that's their problem; they're too predictable. You know exactly what's going to happen and when. There's nothing wrong with varying setlists between shows and they don't have to play pretty much the exact same songs every single night, that's a choice they're making. They have a big enough back catalogue of songs that they can mix it up a lot more than they're doing.

10 years later doing the exact same thing? Some things just get old.

...I've been to enough concerts of the same bands to know how it works.

Even if they did something like Church on Sunday every 4 or 5 shows, and Brat every 4 or 5 shows, and maybe even something like At the Library every 4 or 5 shows, then it would still make things more interesting and less predictable because you wouldn't know what's getting played when. Because that's their problem; they're too predictable. You know exactly what's going to happen and when. There's nothing wrong with varying setlists between shows and they don't have to play pretty much the exact same songs every single night, that's a choice they're making. They have a big enough back catalogue of songs that they can mix it up a lot more than they're doing.

As much as I love rare songs, i'm glad they don't do that. That's still too much. Dookie was amazing the first time they played it live. But then they did it again, and again, and again. By that time, there were already people complaining about it. And now, the live recording of Having a Blast from 1993 isn't so special cause there are other recordings of it now. Don't get me wrong, I love new recordings, but the rare songs aren't as special when they're played multiple times in a tour. Green Day played Brat once last tour, and it was amazing. It was also amazing when they played Brutal Love for the first time, but 10 shows later when they were still playing it, no one cared anymore

As much as I love rare songs, i'm glad they don't do that. That's still too much. Dookie was amazing the first time they played it live. But then they did it again, and again, and again. By that time, there were already people complaining about it. And now, the live recording of Having a Blast from 1993 isn't so special cause there are other recordings of it now. Don't get me wrong, I love new recordings, but the rare songs aren't as special when they're played multiple times in a tour. Green Day played Brat once last tour, and it was amazing. It was also amazing when they played Brutal Love for the first time, but 10 shows later when they were still playing it, no one cared anymore

ReallY? Who was complaining about Dookie being played over and over? :/

Yeah, but that's why I'm saying that they should vary it show to show so it wouldn't be the same 'rare' song every single night. It's not like they've only brought out 4 or 5 albums either, they have plenty of songs to choose from. But even tour to tour it seems to be the same thing over and over again, performance wise. I don't know why they can't just shake things up and make some changes. Granted they were better on the 21st Century Breakdown tour than previous tours, but even still, it was fairly similar every night; sometimes only one song being switched for something else. I've been to multiple shows of bands where the setlist is varied by at least 4 or 5 songs every night.

ReallY? Who was complaining about Dookie being played over and over? :/

Yeah, but that's why I'm saying that they should vary it show to show so it wouldn't be the same 'rare' song every single night. It's not like they've only brought out 4 or 5 albums either, they have plenty of songs to choose from. But even tour to tour it seems to be the same thing over and over again, performance wise. I don't know why they can't just shake things up and make some changes. Granted they were better on the 21st Century Breakdown tour than previous tours, but even still, it was fairly similar every night; sometimes only one song being switched for something else. I've been to multiple shows of bands where the setlist is varied by at least 4 or 5 songs every night.

I'm sorry you haven't had good setlist experience with your Green Day shows, but I don't think they need to change what they're doing. Last tour, off the top of my head, they played jar, holden caulfield, One of my lies, brat, nice guys finish last, waiting, rusty james, missing you, sassafras roots (outside of the dookie performances) geek stink breath, wmuwse and walk away. And also scattered, stuck with me, and chump at secret shows. And of course Dookie in its entirety too, and played Redundant and we are the champions in Australia. And all of the rare songs they did at AT&T park too. That's a lot. Yes, there are lots of songs that they don't play anymore, but when you have so much material that you wrote a long time ago, some of the stuff you wont like anymore. Billie hates 1000 Hours. And I'm sure he's outgrown other songs too. He's not getting paid anything extra to play songs he doesn't like, and with so many other songs that they do bring into rotation, it's really not a big deal to me. Can't we just appreciate what we get?

I'm sorry you haven't had good setlist experience with your Green Day shows, but I don't think they need to change what they're doing. Last tour, off the top of my head, they played jar, holden caulfield, One of my lies, brat, nice guys finish last, waiting, rusty james, missing you, sassafras roots (outside of the dookie performances) geek stink breath, wmuwse and walk away. And also scattered, stuck with me, and chump at secret shows. And of course Dookie in its entirety too, and played Redundant and we are the champions in Australia. And all of the rare songs they did at AT&T park too. That's a lot. Yes, there are lots of songs that they don't play anymore, but when you have so much material that you wrote a long time ago, some of the stuff you wont like anymore. Billie hates 1000 Hours. And I'm sure he's outgrown other songs too. He's not getting paid anything extra to play songs he doesn't like, and with so many other songs that they do bring into rotation, it's really not a big deal to me. Can't we just appreciate what we get?

No, I've had some pretty amazing setlist experiences. I've heard Maria, Letterbomb, Fuck Time, Pulling Teeth (acoustic), Coming Clean, and all of Dookie live.

But I'm referring to their performances in general. That's great that those songs were played...but out of how many shows? The ratio of shows probably greatly outweighs the number of 'rare' songs played.

No, I've had some pretty amazing setlist experiences. I've heard Maria, Letterbomb, Fuck Time, Pulling Teeth (acoustic), Coming Clean, and all of Dookie live.

But I'm referring to their performances in general. That's great that those songs were played...but out of how many shows? The ratio of shows probably greatly outweighs the number of 'rare' songs played.

Majority of the fans who attends shows outweigh the hardcore fans

If they play oh let's say Walking Alone half the crowd most likely have never heard the song or know it and kills the energy of the show...

Sadly stadium and arena concerts aren't made for little known songs they are for hits

Majority of the fans who attends shows outweigh the hardcore fans

If they play oh let's say Walking Alone half the crowd most likely have never heard the song or know it and kills the energy of the show...

Sadly stadium and arena concerts aren't made for little known songs they are for hits

Have you just completely disregarded the entire conversation? I know that they have to play the 'hits', I know that most of the people are there to see Basket Case and American Idiot, and I KNOW that some people might not know the 'rare' songs. But that's all completely irrelevant when it comes to Green Day tweaking the show they've been doing repeatedly for the last 10 years.

Ugh, this is going around in circles. And I never intended for it to go so off topic. Carry on.

Have you just completely disregarded the entire conversation? I know that they have to play the 'hits', I know that most of the people are there to see Basket Case and American Idiot, and I KNOW that some people might not know the 'rare' songs. But that's all completely irrelevant when it comes to Green Day tweaking the show they've been doing repeatedly for the last 10 years.

Ugh, this is going around in circles. And I never intended for it to go so off topic. Carry on.

They know what works for them

They'll never be like Springsteen or Pearl Jam when it comes to set lists sadly

We're not disregarding you, we just completely disagree with you. You're not gonna win us over, and we're not gonna win you over. Let's agree to disagree

We're not disregarding you, we just completely disagree with you. You're not gonna win us over, and we're not gonna win you over. Let's agree to disagree

I was actually referring to the other's person's comment because they just said the exact same thing we had already discussed further up on the page.

Archived