Billie Joe, Joey, and Jason White performing at 1-2-3-4 Go Records

djrossstar

Surely that's better than them not getting played at all?

Yeah, if he's played them there then it means he knows them/has practiced them/likes playing them so chances of them being played at future Green Day shows are increased.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cba to find it but a few days ago people were talking about Billie Joe's guitar tone and how it's clean....

I really like the clean(er) sounds he's getting at the moment.

Although, the trilogy could have been a bit dirtier.

Cba to find it but a few days ago people were talking about Billie Joe's guitar tone and how it's clean....

I really like the clean(er) sounds he's getting at the moment.

Although, the trilogy could have been a bit dirtier.

Same same, i thought scattered was awesome

Surely that's better than them not getting played at all?

Yeah, if he's played them there then it means he knows them/has practiced them/likes playing them so chances of them being played at future Green Day shows are increased.

I guess it just bothers me that the good stuff only seems to be played mostly at 'unofficial' shows. I mean, the fact that he clearly knows these songs surely also raises the question of why they haven't been played more regularly up until this point?

I guess it just bothers me that the good stuff only seems to be played mostly at 'unofficial' shows. I mean, the fact that he clearly knows these songs surely also raises the question of why they haven't been played more regularly up until this point?

Yes

There's a fairly obvious answer to me. When you have an "official" show, you have an arena full of people who a) all paid a decent sum of money to be there B) have probably only heard their singles. I think it is clear by now that GD feels they owe it to these fans to give them the show that the majority of people in there want to see. Which is the greatest hits show. I have no issue with it. Do I wish there were shows like this one where they go crazy with the setlist? Of course. But I completely understand why they don't.

I would think by now the vast majority is a returning audience - - tickets are still relatively cheap compared to other bands -if they mixed it up GD wouldn't get bored & seem like they are just going through the motions. I will never see a small show but hopefully will see many more arena shows. They should have faith that their back catalogue can stand up against their greatest hits.

Actually there are two simple reasons why they never play the cooler, rarer songs at the shows...1) Tre and 2) Mike. They are evil and want to ruin every gig. We now have proof.

Actually there are two simple reasons why they never play the cooler, rarer songs at the shows...1) Tre and 2) Mike. They are evil and want to ruin every gig. We now have proof.

What does this have to do?

I thought Billie Joe was the one who mainly made up the setlists, not really Mike or Tre. I'm sure the whole band has a say in what they play, but I remember reading in RS that Billie Joe would text Mike and ask him what he thought about the setlist.

I thought Billie Joe was the one who mainly made up the setlists, not really Mike or Tre. I'm sure the whole band has a say in what they play, but I remember reading in RS that Billie Joe would text Mike and ask him what he thought about the setlist.

But I think that is right!

I would think by now the vast majority is a returning audience - - tickets are still relatively cheap compared to other bands -if they mixed it up GD wouldn't get bored & seem like they are just going through the motions. I will never see a small show but hopefully will see many more arena shows. They should have faith that their back catalogue can stand up against their greatest hits.

As has been said, the majority of people who go to shows are more casual fans of Green Day, not hardcore listeners like the folks on here who know their entire discography and thensome from back to front. Even for people who may or may not be repeat attendees, there's a high chance they only own or know of American Idiot, Dookie, etc. The ones that sold the most copies and/or had the most radio hits. Not to mention, I've been to 11 Green Day shows so far (and I know there's people in here who've clocked way more than that), and I can safely say that I have yet to go to a show that was even 50% familiar faces. And every one I've had people on the line or in my general vicinity inside who were first-timers. Green Day gets new fans all the time. And those fans have to start somewhere. Then you get the parents dragging their kids, kids dragging their parents, boyfriends dragging girlfriends, girlfriends dragging boyfriends, etc etc etc. Hell, at my own first Green Day show, the only thing I owned was International Superhits. That was all I knew. But it was enough to get by, and I thoroughlyenjoyed myself and chose to come back for more and to investigate further, which is why I am here now. You're never going to have a full arena singing along to 2000 Light Years Away or Walking Alone or some likewise obscure album track. Not like you do for the hits. And that's why those songs are always going to have a place on the setlist. Unfortunately, when you have as much material as Green Day does, the list of hit singles versus rarities becomes longer and longer and longer. I give them credit for trying to mix it up by throwing a curveball or two in every now and then, but they're always going to emphasize the crowd-pleasers at the big shows.

As has been said, the majority of people who go to shows are more casual fans of Green Day, not hardcore listeners like the folks on here who know their entire discography and thensome from back to front. Even for people who may or may not be repeat attendees, there's a high chance they only own or know of American Idiot, Dookie, etc. The ones that sold the most copies and/or had the most radio hits. Not to mention, I've been to 11 Green Day shows so far (and I know there's people in here who've clocked way more than that), and I can safely say that I have yet to go to a show that was even 50% familiar faces. And every one I've had people on the line or in my general vicinity inside who were first-timers. Green Day gets new fans all the time. And those fans have to start somewhere. Then you get the parents dragging their kids, kids dragging their parents, boyfriends dragging girlfriends, girlfriends dragging boyfriends, etc etc etc. Hell, at my own first Green Day show, the only thing I owned was International Superhits. That was all I knew. But it was enough to get by, and I thoroughlyenjoyed myself and chose to come back for more and to investigate further, which is why I am here now. You're never going to have a full arena singing along to 2000 Light Years Away or Walking Alone or some likewise obscure album track. Not like you do for the hits. And that's why those songs are always going to have a place on the setlist. Unfortunately, when you have as much material as Green Day does, the list of hit singles versus rarities becomes longer and longer and longer. I give them credit for trying to mix it up by throwing a curveball or two in every now and then, but they're always going to emphasize the crowd-pleasers at the big shows.

With a setlist of 30 songs - they could easily play half hits & half rare - with the same effect - mix it up for the hardcore fans & the newbies will still love it - their catalogue is that good.

With a setlist of 30 songs - they could easily play half hits & half rare - with the same effect - mix it up for the hardcore fans & the newbies will still love it - their catalogue is that good.

But they *do* mix it up. Or they have in the past. On the American Idiot tour, not so much. But the 21st Century Breakdown tour had plenty of older material and less frequently played tracks. Some of those, like 2000 LYA and Paper Lanterns have returned to being a regular part of the rotation. Likewise, songs that were staples at one point can get phased out and become "rarities". But still, no matter which way you slice it, old songs versus new, radio songs versus album tracks, they're not going to cover everything, which means that there are always going to be certain songs that seem, for one reason or another, to be given the shaft over others. With the trilogy tour, they had three new albums to promote, and could easily have filled a set with that material alone, but they still made time to include other things. I think, had the tour gone more normally, we would've seen longer sets and more variety in the second leg. But as it was, there was no second go around to speak of at all. In any case, Green Day is hardly the only band that deals with this. All groups, especially those with extensive material, have songs that get played more often and songs that get played less often. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. Try thinking about it this way: If all the songs got equal time and play (or mostly equivalent), nothing would ever be special.

But they *do* mix it up. Or they have in the past. On the American Idiot tour, not so much. But the 21st Century Breakdown tour had plenty of older material and less frequently played tracks. Some of those, like 2000 LYA and Paper Lanterns have returned to being a regular part of the rotation. Likewise, songs that were staples at one point can get phased out and become "rarities". But still, no matter which way you slice it, old songs versus new, radio songs versus album tracks, they're not going to cover everything, which means that there are always going to be certain songs that seem, for one reason or another, to be given the shaft over others. With the trilogy tour, they had three new albums to promote, and could easily have filled a set with that material alone, but they still made time to include other things. I think, had the tour gone more normally, we would've seen longer sets and more variety in the second leg. But as it was, there was no second go around to speak of at all. In any case, Green Day is hardly the only band that deals with this. All groups, especially those with extensive material, have songs that get played more often and songs that get played less often. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. Try thinking about it this way: If all the songs got equal time and play (or mostly equivalent), nothing would ever be special.

Recently they toured australia & I basically saw the same concert 3 times - I was excited when they slipped in nuclear family. Don't get me wrong I loved it but I knew everything that was going to happen.

At least they play their old songs unlike *cough* Biffy Clyro *cough*

Recently they toured australia & I basically saw the same concert 3 times - I was excited when they slipped in nuclear family. Don't get me wrong I loved it but I knew everything that was going to happen.

That's because you saw them three times in the same tour :P They don't change their set super drastically from show to show. Some bands do, and I understand if you wish Green Day were one of those bands. But they *do* change their setlist somewhat between different legs of a tour (especially if they're hitting the same continent twice) and certainly between completely different tours. If you compare the setlists from past tours (or future ones), you'll find more variation. If you compare three mostly close together dates, though, they're going to be mostly similar.

You really would've hated the American Idiot tour, as that had literally the exact same setlist for 2 years, pretty much :lol: Apart from those few times when they'd decide to play the whole album front-to-back instead. I saw them three times that tour and, apart from one or two song changes, the show was identical throughout. But then I saw them 5 times on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and got 5 mostly different shows, with certain chunks that were sameish, but not 100% identical. One was a smaller club gig, but the other 4 were all arena/amphitheater shows. I only saw them twice on the trilogy tour and saw two different shows from that, though, again, one was a smaller gig. If they had hit up North America a second time, I'd've expected that setlist to be different too, and I was jealous of some of the songs they played while in Europe, but all in all, I understand why they packed it in early this time around.

That said, there are certain songs, certain bits, that have existed in their setlist for years and years, and every time a new tour comes out, there is debate about whether it's time to let those bits go or not. So, yeah, I do understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting them to shake things up more, but it's not necessarily a matter of them saving certain songs specifically for club shows.

That's because you saw them three times in the same tour :P They don't change their set super drastically from show to show. Some bands do, and I understand if you wish Green Day were one of those bands. But they *do* change their setlist somewhat between different legs of a tour (especially if they're hitting the same continent twice) and certainly between completely different tours. If you compare the setlists from past tours (or future ones), you'll find more variation. If you compare three mostly close together dates, though, they're going to be mostly similar.

You really would've hated the American Idiot tour, as that had literally the exact same setlist for 2 years, pretty much :lol: Apart from those few times when they'd decide to play the whole album front-to-back instead. I saw them three times that tour and, apart from one or two song changes, the show was identical throughout. But then I saw them 5 times on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and got 5 mostly different shows, with certain chunks that were sameish, but not 100% identical. One was a smaller club gig, but the other 4 were all arena/amphitheater shows. I only saw them twice on the trilogy tour and saw two different shows from that, though, again, one was a smaller gig. If they had hit up North America a second time, I'd've expected that setlist to be different too, and I was jealous of some of the songs they played while in Europe, but all in all, I understand why they packed it in early this time around.

That said, there are certain songs, certain bits, that have existed in their setlist for years and years, and every time a new tour comes out, there is debate about whether it's time to let those bits go or not. So, yeah, I do understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting them to shake things up more, but it's not necessarily a matter of them saving certain songs specifically for club shows.

I had to they don't come here often - - I heard a lot of the songs on the breakdown tour & I will be happy if I never hear KFAD live again - but wrong thread for that comment.

Perhaps they dragged some of these songs out of the back catalogue and he relearned them for this event. It is possible that they just jammed along to random songs in the build up to the gig. No use getting bitter over it

It probably won't happen

But I'd love some more gigs with 2 & 1/2 men...

Idk why but I just love it. Idk maybe play Gilman or something.

(Don't question Gilman, Green Day's ban from Gilman was lifted as Mike needed to play there with The Frustrators.)

It probably won't happen

But I'd love some more gigs with 2 & 1/2 men...

Idk why but I just love it. Idk maybe play Gilman or something.

(Don't question Gilman, Green Day's ban from Gilman was lifted as Mike needed to play there with The Frustrators.)

Green Day still can't play at Gilman, but it's only because they have a rule against any major label bands playing, it's nothing personal. It's fine (and always has been fine) for the members of Green Day to go to shows there or play there in non major label bands, they weren't banned they just can't play there as Green Day. They might have felt unwelcome there when they first signed to a major label and got big because some of the people there had a problem with it but I'm pretty sure that was all over with years ago, Billie's played there with Pinhead Gunpowder as well and they support it and go to see shows there regularly. I agree it'd be cool to see this project play there!

Yeah but Green Day's old stuff is good.

Before the Opposites tour started they played Strung to Your Ribcage and Hope For An Angel at 5 concerts in a row. Yeah :cry:

You'd have to be deaf to think that this isn't amazing.

(They play it at every show for a reason :P )

so is Biffy's haha, it's like 1000 times better than their new stuff.

Before the Opposites tour started they played Strung to Your Ribcage and Hope For An Angel at 5 concerts in a row. Yeah :cry:

You'd have to be deaf to think that this isn't amazing.

(They play it at every show for a reason :P )

3 of their best songs

Archived