Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

1 hour ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

A lot of people say it's too conceptual and clichéd to be punk, but I think the conceptual aspects, paired with the subject matter, make it punk.

That's ridiculous, being clichéd can't stop a thing being punk when pretty much every Buzzcocks album is exactly the same thing and being conceptual can't stop it when Sandinista exists.

Not sure this is an unpopular opinion, but it certainly frustrates the fucking hell out of me. sorry, but like, Green Day vinyl records are fucking horrible. I have no idea what the fuck is up with whoever is producing them, but like, can they do a decent job for once? Every single Green Day record I have either skips horribly and is impossible to listen to or drags out the music and the instruments sound like shit and badly out of tune. I bought three vinyls when I was in Hamburg and now that I'm back home and can listen to them on my record player, the first one (GFB) already skips and drags way too fucking much. I'm so angry and disappointed and I seriously want to cry or break this fucking thing altogether. It makes me never want to buy another vinyl ever again. I spend so much money on them and then I can't even be sure they're okay quality. It's just frustrating as hell that I can't give them back now because I'm at the other end of the country and I won't be going to Hamburg anytime soon. I've never had a problem with my other vinyls, it's always just something Billie Joe is involved with.

11 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Not sure this is an unpopular opinion, but it certainly frustrates the fucking hell out of me. sorry, but like, Green Day vinyl records are fucking horrible. I have no idea what the fuck is up with whoever is producing them, but like, can they do a decent job for once? Every single Green Day record I have either skips horribly and is impossible to listen to or drags out the music and the instruments sound like shit and badly out of tune. I bought three vinyls when I was in Hamburg and now that I'm back home and can listen to them on my record player, the first one (GFB) already skips and drags way too fucking much. I'm so angry and disappointed and I seriously want to cry or break this fucking thing altogether. It makes me never want to buy another vinyl ever again. I spend so much money on them and then I can't even be sure they're okay quality. It's just frustrating as hell that I can't give them back now because I'm at the other end of the country and I won't be going to Hamburg anytime soon. I've never had a problem with my other vinyls, it's always just something Billie Joe is involved with.

I don't have a vinyl reader, so I don't know... I have a friend who has bought a few GD vinyl records and she never told me they were dysfunctional. Maybe your vinyl were damaged during the trip from Hamburg? 

3 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

I don't have a vinyl reader, so I don't know... I have a friend who has bought a few GD vinyl records and she never told me they were dysfunctional. Maybe your vinyl were damaged during the trip from Hamburg? 

They were still in the packaging, so no.  I had wrapped them securely in a blanket and they didn't break or anything and the travel hardly could have damaged the very very thin lines on the vinyl that makes them skip. I didn't get all of my vinyls in Hamburg either, one I got in the Green Day fan shop, another two on amazon... and they're all fucked, so...

4 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

They were still in the packaging, so no.  I had wrapped them securely in a blanket and they didn't break or anything and the travel hardly could have damaged the very very thin lines on the vinyl that makes them skip. I didn't get all of my vinyls in Hamburg either, one I got in the Green Day fan shop, another two on amazon... and they're all fucked, so...

Only GD vinyl I have is blue Tune In Tokyo and that has had a warp in it since it arrived but you can only hear it if you really try, it doesn't affect the sound much.

I've heard Gd vinyl have some issues. I remember hearing people complaining about the red Revrad one. Personally I've never had any issues and I have 4 of them. 

On 3/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, Libertine Angel said:

I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider AI punk, it has its quiet moments but so does every Clash album except Give 'Em Enough Rope and nobody says London Calling isn't punk.

Agreed. It's always hilarious to me how many "punk purists" complain that GD or someone else isn't punk and their argument basically means that The Clash aren't punk either. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

5 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

Only GD vinyl I have is blue Tune In Tokyo and that has had a warp in it since it arrived but you can only hear it if you really try, it doesn't affect the sound much.

Perhaps the company that commercializes the vinyls (it must be Warner?) can be contacted via its website, to indicate the problems? It seems weird to me because if issues with GD vinyls are a recurrent thing the band should have been aware of it from now, and would have done something about it...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MiksuSH said:

I still can't fucking stand Forever Now.

Me either. I hate it only slightly less than somewhere now.

54 minutes ago, MiksuSH said:

I still can't fucking stand Forever Now.

25 minutes ago, E X H A U S T E D said:

Me either. I hate it only slightly less than somewhere now.

Why?? And what's wrong with Somewhere Now?

8 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Everything. From start to end. Especially the end where everything (lyrics, instruments) is complete mess and I can't enjoy it at all.

16 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Just not a fan. Sounds very... waily. Not my sound, but okay.

Honestly I just find Somewhere Now boring, the drumming is admittedly fantastic but I find the song devoid of any real fire or passion, the sound may be big and anthemic with lyrics to go along with that but it doesn't have the feeling to make that real rather than just trying to be powerful. When I first put the album on the day it arrived I was describing the first few tracks and genuinely forgot it even happened by the time the title track finished.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion...Worrying about if Green Day is punk whether your friends  or critics  tell you they are not punk, is stupid. Worry about more important things in life! :lol: 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

Honestly I just find Somewhere Now boring, the drumming is admittedly fantastic but I find the song devoid of any real fire or passion, the sound may be big and anthemic with lyrics to go along with that but it doesn't have the feeling to make that real rather than just trying to be powerful. 

The drumming IS great. I agree that it's boring, too. Didn't really click with me. =/

• Like 1

Just now, Hermione said:

:o Somewhere Now is my all time favourite Green Day song. And coupled with Forever Now it's perfection. "Hallelujah I found my soul under the sofa pillows" yes :wub: 

I agree. It reminds me American Idiot on the way it conveys a story using similar repeating motives in 2 different songs, but it's more abstract. AI has Jesus and Homecoming with defined characters and quite straightforward lyrics, SN and FN are revrad's version of the same principle, but more abstract and left to listener's imagination. I can't say anything negative about these two songs. 

But I still insist SN sounds like Boston's More Than a  Feeling. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree. It reminds me American Idiot on the way it conveys a story using similar repeating motives in 2 different songs, but it's more abstract. AI has Jesus and Homecoming with defined characters and quite straightforward lyrics, SN and FN are revrad's version of the same principle, but more abstract and left to listener's imagination. I can't say anything negative about these two songs. 

I love how it comes back to it and brings the album full circle like that. It's just a wonderful song.

Oh my god don't ruin it for me :lol: 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The end of Christie Road sounds like More Than a Feeling.  Well, if More Than a Feeling mated with Wild Thing.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

FIRST THING I THOUGHT WHEN I LISTENED TO THE ALBUM.

• Haha 2