Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I absolutely hate the abbreviation "RevRad", it makes me cringe every time. Probably because it's an awful hashtag term rather than an actual abbreviation which would probably be RR. So I refuse to use it and rather use the full album name instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaddi. said:

I absolutely hate the abbreviation "RevRad", it makes me cringe every time. Probably because it's an awful hashtag term rather than an actual abbreviation which would probably be RR. So I refuse to use it and rather use the full album name instead.

It just makes me think of the Rev from FBHT era. I'm used to the term so doesn't really bother me. Imagine if we abbreviated other albums the same way though. #Insom #AmerIdi #21CenBreak

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

It just makes me think of the Rev from FBHT era. I'm used to the term so doesn't really bother me. Imagine if we abbreviated other albums the same way though. #Insom #AmerIdi #21CenBreak

#Kerp #Doo don't you think it's beautiful? :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenn. said:

oh my god, same! The first 'gun' is alright but he NEVER knows how to finish the second one and it annoys me :lol: that said I still prefer the live version, with the piano bit near the end :wub: 

Edit: Neither beat the musical version though :tired: 

OK hate me for this: I don't like the musical version at all (at least the parts the cast sings, Billie's parts are fine). To be honest, I don't like any musical version of the AI cast. I haven't seen the musical and I would definitely watch it if it was in my country, but I don't know, I just hate the fact that other people sing MY beloved Green Day songs :lol: I know, I'm weird.... but I have the same thing with GD cover bands, I just don't like them. One thing I love most about GD music is Billie's special, outstanding voice, especially live, and I wanna hear that one and nothing else. I guess I'm just extremely sensitive when it comes to cover versions, I have the same thing with other bands, too...

And I absolutely LOVE the way Billie sings 21 guns live. Unfortunately I saw it only once during 21CB tour, but I hope it'll be back on the setlist soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

OK hate me for this: I don't like the musical version at all (at least the parts the cast sings, Billie's parts are fine). To be honest, I don't like any musical version of the AI cast. I haven't seen the musical and I would definitely watch it if it was in my country, but I don't know, I just hate the fact that other people sing MY beloved Green Day songs :lol: I know, I'm weird.... but I have the same thing with GD cover bands, I just don't like them. One thing I love most about GD music is Billie's special, outstanding voice, especially live, and I wanna hear that one and nothing else. I guess I'm just extremely sensitive when it comes to cover versions, I have the same thing with other bands, too...

And I absolutely LOVE the way Billie sings 21 guns live. Unfortunately I saw it only once during 21CB tour, but I hope it'll be back on the setlist soon.

I really enjoyed the musical when I saw it and I'd also go see it again if it ever came to Germany, but I completely understand your point. I have the musical CD at home, but I never listened to it. One reason (probably the most important one) why GD is my favorite band is Billie's voice and the songs aren't really the same if he's not the one singing them.

• Like 2

I don't like the musical versions at all. I never listened to the whole thing - I really didn't like what I heard with only exception of Letterbomb. 

And finally: I don't like 21 Guns and don't mind they don't play it. Same goes for WMUWSE. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

I understand that completely! I'm sure loads of people feel the same. I feel the same about cover bands :lol: but the musical is different somehow. I don't know if it's just because I've seen it so many times, but it feels like a different entity to Green Day (though on the soundtrack it is them playing.) I just really like the arrangements and harmonies on certain songs and can appreciate them separately. That said, 21 Guns is the only one I prefer to the studio version.

40 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't like the musical versions at all. I never listened to the whole thing - I really didn't like what I heard with only exception of Letterbomb. 

And finally: I don't like 21 Guns and don't mind they don't play it. Same goes for WMUWSE. 

Definitely agree about WMUWSE

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Oh, I'm happy I'm not the only one then. Once I was in a bar with jukebox and chose Jesus of Suburbia. What I didn't see was that I accidentally chose the musical version. Awfully long 9 minutes - expecting one of my favourite GD songs and getting this :lol: Maybe that's why I don't like it.

I also went to a Queen musical once and hated it because I thought "It's supposed to be Freddie singing." Maybe musicals just aren't my kind of thing, I don't know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMwhatsername said:

Oh, I'm happy I'm not the only one then. Once I was in a bar with jukebox and chose Jesus of Suburbia. What I didn't see was that I accidentally chose the musical version. Awfully long 9 minutes - expecting one of my favourite GD songs and getting this :lol: Maybe that's why I don't like it.

I also went to a Queen musical once and hated it because I thought "It's supposed to be Freddie singing." Maybe musicals just aren't my kind of thing, I don't know.

I don't like musicals as a whole genre so it's no surprise I'm not into the musical versions. 

That would disappoint me too. I don't like what they did with jos at all. 

• Like 1

I don't listen to the musical album often, but I LOVE their version of Boulevard. I wish Green Day would actually adapt their live version to match it, because I think inserting City of the Damned into the bridge is absolutely breathtaking. Gives me goosebumps every time. 

Other than that, I don't care to listen to that soundtrack. It was a phenomenal show to see live, but I don't enjoy listening to Green Day covers in general. A huge part of why I love Green Day's music is that I love Billie's voice, and don't care hearing other people sing their songs. 

--

On the subject of RevRad, I took about a week-long break from it last week. It was pretty much all I'd been listening to since it came out (*cough* actually a couple weeks before it came out, too *cough*). Getting some distance from it made me appreciate it all over again. I still absolutely think it's one of their best albums. It is so personal and warm that I can't help but love it. And I seriously believe Say Goodbye, Still Breathing, Troubled Times, and Forever Now are some of my all-time favorite songs of theirs. I adore it all.

• Like 2

Tony Vincent has the voice of angels. The only musical version I actively seek out to listen to is LNOE, and only because of Tony. That AOL music performance used to move me to tears every single time I listened to it back then :wub: I wonder whether my hardcore love for LNOE is because of Tony, since I can't remember a time before I'd heard the cast recording :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jenn. said:

oh my god, same! The first 'gun' is alright but he NEVER knows how to finish the second one and it annoys me :lol: that said I still prefer the live version, with the piano bit near the end :wub: 

Edit: Neither beat the musical version though :tired: 

Musical version of Green Day songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> regular version of Green Day songs

2 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Tony Vincent has the voice of angels. The only musical version I actively seek out to listen to is LNOE, and only because of Tony. That AOL music performance used to move me to tears every single time I listened to it back then :wub: I wonder whether my hardcore love for LNOE is because of Tony, since I can't remember a time before I'd heard the cast recording :lol:

Tony Vincent as Saint Jimmy was the best choice. Billie did a fantastic job, but holy FUCK when he sings the first part of Homecoming I should shut up because these comments belong in the fangirl's confession thread.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zelda said:

Musical version of Green Day songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> regular version of Green Day songs

Tony Vincent as Saint Jimmy was the best choice. Billie did a fantastic job, but holy FUCK when he sings the first part of Homecoming I should shut up because these comments belong in the fangirl's confession thread.

Tony has one of those rare (for me) voices that can evoke the deepest emotional reactions no matter what he's singing. What I wouldn't give for him singing lead on all the male vocals on the cast album 😭 Please feel free to flail at me about his voice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wretched & Divine said:

My St. Jimmy is Lucas Rush (he did the West End run and the UK tour) and I think he's amazing :D

Regarding the musical, it's not so much the individual singing I like, it's the chorus and the harmonies they make. @stories and songs, that bit in BOBD gives me shivers too! Whatsername is incredible, especially "and in the darkest night" and the string ending. The Give Me Novacaine solo gives me chills in the original version, but the musical version is another level (because they combine it with some harmonies too) just.... :thumbsup::wub: 

• Like 1

I saw the musical and liked it, but I wouldn't listen to their versions. It works fine for the musical, but if you want to hear the songs you've got the actual songs.

• Like 1

Anything that brings Green Day and an orchestra together gives me great joy, honestly. The opening of LNOE with strings is stunning, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wretched & Divine said:

Tony has one of those rare (for me) voices that can evoke the deepest emotional reactions no matter what he's singing. What I wouldn't give for him singing lead on all the male vocals on the cast album 😭 Please feel free to flail at me about his voice.

I checked out some of his solo work and was honestly sad to find that I didn't dig it. But I could listen to his AI vocals all day erry day. :wub:

We should petition for a redo of AI with Tony playing every role. I think it could work. :cool:

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

I dig Davey Havok's version of Homecoming as well. (And love his voice.)

He was a great choice as well! The only one I was kinda disappointed with was Melissa. Female St. Jimmy is a fantastic idea, but as I recall they had to change the key (? I don't speak music) to a higher one to work with her voice. I tend to prefer deeper voices, so that's why I wasn't too fond of the change.

Off the top of my head, Pink and Miley Cyrus have the right kind of voice (just looking at the voice, not the singer) that I have in mind for female St. Jimmy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zelda said:

I checked out some of his solo work and was honestly sad to find that I didn't dig it. But I could listen to his AI vocals all day erry day. :wub:

We should petition for a redo of AI with Tony playing every role. I think it could work. :cool:

He was a great choice as well! The only one I was kinda disappointed with was Melissa. Female St. Jimmy is a fantastic idea, but as I recall they had to change the key (? I don't speak music) to a higher one to work with her voice. I tend to prefer deeper voices, so that's why I wasn't too fond of the change.

Off the top of my head, Pink and Miley Cyrus have the right kind of voice (just looking at the voice, not the singer) that I have in mind for female St. Jimmy.

I never heard her version so I can't say what I think about it but I agree the idea of a female St. Jimmy is a brilliant one. Key is the right word btw. 

I agree Pink and Miley would be both good. I liked Pink's version of Basket Case.  

16 hours ago, Zelda said:

I think there's an essence to Tony's voice that gets lost somewhere in the production of studio recordings because, while I do love the album recordings, there's just that something missing. Listen to the album version of LNOE and then this straight after and you might see what I mean.

So perfect. And the way he and Rebecca harmonize, oh my god 😭 (also, unrelated, but I'm so attracted to his St Jimmy look)

21 hours ago, stories and songs said:

On the subject of RevRad, I took about a week-long break from it last week. It was pretty much all I'd been listening to since it came out (*cough* actually a couple weeks before it came out, too *cough*). Getting some distance from it made me appreciate it all over again. I still absolutely think it's one of their best albums. It is so personal and warm that I can't help but love it. And I seriously believe Say Goodbye, Still Breathing, Troubled Times, and Forever Now are some of my all-time favorite songs of theirs. I adore it all.

Same here, I listened to it at least once (rather more) a day since October 7th and didn't care much about other music since then. This week I started listening to some other stuff again. Although I overplayed RevRad, I didn't feel like that, I still enjoy the record like the first time whenever I listen to it. Now I'll be occupied with the new Rolling Stones album that will be released tomorrow for a couple of days, but RevRad (I love the abbreviation, it's so cute when Billie says it:P) will still be my companion when I'm driving. It's just so great to listen to it when you're driving, traffic sucks less.

I can say that I still listen to the new record from start to finish every time without skipping any song, that hasn't happened since AI. With 21CB, I started skipping some songs quickly, especially Last of the American Girls, which is one of the few absolutely meh-GD-songs for me (although I like the lyrics, but the song - nah). RevRad is definitely up in my top 3.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:29 AM, MMwhatsername said:

I can say that I still listen to the new record from start to finish every time without skipping any song, that hasn't happened since AI. With 21CB, I started skipping some songs quickly, especially Last of the American Girls, which is one of the few absolutely meh-GD-songs for me (although I like the lyrics, but the song - nah). RevRad is definitely up in my top 3.

I usually can never make it through AI completely. Homecoming is one of my favorite songs, but other than that, I don't like the album.

I love Still Breathing but don't like the way Billie says "first" in the line "I'm like a soldier coming home for the first time." It's like, the tiniest thing to criticise in a song but I notice it every single time :lol: 

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic