Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Don't kill me, but I just can't like boulevard of broken dreams as hard as I try. I mean it's certainly not bad, but it just does not stand out for me compared to their other song, and the lyrics do not really touch me as well. Here in the Netherlands we have a top 2000 (of all time songs) every year and everyone can vote, and boulevard of broken dreams is always in the list, but .. no it just does not feel special to me

• Like 1

How is there even a loose theme? How are any of the songs on Uno connected to the idea of preparing for a party save Nuclear Family and Oh Love?

To be honest you could turn any lyrics into any bullshit interpretation you want:

Stay the Night - is about hoping the party 'stays all night' - i.e. goes on forever

Carpe Diem - ?? I dunno, it's like a party for worn-out crappy cliches, so there's that maybe?

Kill the DJ - ?? Why would you kill a dj if you're going to a party? God knows. Or Billie does, at least.

Fell for you - referring to a party not a girl?

Troublemaker - I dunno, you're gonna cause trouble at the party? :lol:

Yeah, I dunno. You can basically make anything up and make it fit the 'theme'. But I haven't listened to those songs in a while, so I've no idea if their lyrics fit what I just said :lol:

How is there even a loose theme? How are any of the songs on Uno connected to the idea of preparing for a party save Nuclear Family and Oh Love?

Didn't he say that Uno was supposed to be a throwback to their earlier style, Dos was supposed to be the party theme and I forgot what Tre was supposed to be, maybe a new style, something like that.
Even if that was the case, the songs don't fit the theme. Kill the DJ should be on Dos, Oh Love should probably be on Tre, Stray Heart should be on Uno, etc. I know they said there were loose themes, but it does seem like a second hand, feeble attempt to fit a theme concept.
I still contend that there are alot of good songs on the Trilogy, but there are also alot of shitty ones as well. They would have been better off if someone grew some balls and told Billie half the songs suck.
It seemed to me he was trying to describe the difference between the three albums more than anything. And I think it's true that in a general sense Uno is more poppy/catchy which could be seen as setting a "getting ready for a party" mood, Dos more garage-y and like a party, and Tre has more reflective songs and a couple of more "epic" ones. He didn't claim it's an opera about someone going to a party or anything, it's just a loose description.

That's what I'm saying. If anything, I feel like the situation is similar to a literature analysis where the teacher asks you to identify all the metaphors, etc. in a piece of writing, and essentially a reader (or in this case, a listener) can interpret something to mean whatever they want. It becomes a situation of, "did the writer intend for this to be there, or are we just reading what we want to read?"

I don't think this is much different. Like I said, I think after the fact, once the songs were written, Billie realized there were a few themes that they could use to organize songs, but I hardly believe it influenced songwriting, in the sense that songs were written to "tell a story." And as someone else said, a lot of the themes — regret, love, meltdown, partying, etc. — aren't necessarily unique or new when it comes to Green Day.

TL;DR I think Billie is full of shit when he says most things, including that the trilogy tells a story.

• Like 3

On the subject of the whole "red lights" thing, I think it should be mentioned that he first used the line "stop when the red lights flash" in his cover of That's Alright that was on the iTunes 21CB, so it's definitely not something he made up for the Trilogy.

• Like 3

That's what I'm saying. If anything, I feel like the situation is similar to a literature analysis where the teacher asks you to identify all the metaphors, etc. in a piece of writing, and essentially a reader (or in this case, a listener) can interpret something to mean whatever they want. It becomes a situation of, "did the writer intend for this to be there, or are we just reading what we want to read?"

I don't think this is much different. Like I said, I think after the fact, once the songs were written, Billie realized there were a few themes that they could use to organize songs, but I hardly believe it influenced songwriting, in the sense that songs were written to "tell a story." And as someone else said, a lot of the themes — regret, love, meltdown, partying, etc. — aren't necessarily unique or new when it comes to Green Day.

TL;DR I think Billie is full of shit when he says most things, including that the trilogy tells a story.

That could be the case but why would that be a bad thing? Organizing an album is part of the creative process and I'm not sure why it matters if a story is formed during that part of it or during the actual songwriting. Especially since I don't believe Billie has ever said it was part of the songwriting, or even said that it's a story. Him saying "Uno is like getting ready for the party, Dos is like the party and Tre is like the consequences/reflection afterwards" or whatever doesn't mean it literally tells that story in the lyrics, it's just a way of loosely describing the three albums.

• Like 2

That could be the case but why would that be a bad thing? Organizing an album is part of the creative process and I'm not sure why it matters if a story is formed during that part of it or during the actual songwriting. Especially since I don't believe Billie has ever said it was part of the songwriting, or even said that it's a story. Him saying "Uno is like getting ready for the party, Dos is like the party and Tre is like the consequences/reflection afterwards" or whatever doesn't mean it literally tells that story in the lyrics, it's just a way of loosely describing the three albums.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but so many people on here preach the "story" concept as if it's gospel... that's what I was referring to.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but so many people on here preach the "story" concept as if it's gospel... that's what I was referring to.

Ahh fair enough. I do think the "story" is reasonably strong on Dos, the partying, resisting and giving into temptation and then the bad consequences in the last song. And also the way the trilogy ends with "don't look away from the arms of love", concluding quite nicely that love is what really matters in the end. But yeah overall I think it's more of a loose thing, if I'd been told it was meant to tell the story literally, rock opera style, then I'd definitely think it'd failed.

• Like 3

Ahh fair enough. I do think the "story" is reasonably strong on Dos, the partying, resisting and giving into temptation and then the bad consequences in the last song. And also the way the trilogy ends with "don't look away from the arms of love", concluding quite nicely that love is what really matters in the end. But yeah overall I think it's more of a loose thing, if I'd been told it was meant to tell the story literally, rock opera style, then I'd definitely think it'd failed.

would you consider Demolicious, to fix all those loose ends? cause it's way more raw, and each and every song is placed right!!

would you consider Demolicious, to fix all those loose ends? cause it's way more raw, and each and every song is placed right!!

It is raw, maybe Trilogy would get more success if songs were raw. Even more rawer. Well, many of songs that I consider bad are thrown out, so, yes, I agree with you ; every song is placed right.

I don't think there are loose ends, The Forgotten concludes the very vague story/journey of the albums fine, and they weren't going for a literal story so it doesn't matter that there isn't one. I like all the songs and the albums as a whole so I have no complaints! I like Demolicious as well but I see it as more of a separate thing, just some awesome raw demos we get to hear as a bonus.

The Forgotten is a good summary of the Trilogy. Cringy, overlong, nonsensical, and boring.

just like you? :dry:

• Like 3

Yes, your mother frequently tells me that I'm overlong.

honorable person, kindly don't go onto family, say to me whatever you wanna say, you resident evil

Always found Dos to be a hilariously bad representation of garage rock as a genre

honorable person, kindly don't go onto family, say to me whatever you wanna say, you resident evil

Sounds like he's already on family, mate ;)

• Like 2

Sounds like he's already on family, mate ;)

let's see this half burn piece of crap.

Milla Jovovich is your mother?

no but Sunny Leone said that she was yours, so where's your birthday party??

whatever it was, now peace!

let's see this half burn piece of crap.

no but Sunny Leone said that she was yours, so where's your birthday party??

In the bouncy castle we always get.

And by bouncy castle I mean prostitute.

And by prostitute I mean your mother.

Oh I didn't know you had PMS. My bad.

first go and get some Grammar Coaching. you're simply a disgrace to your country

first go and get some Grammar Coaching. you're simply a disgrace to your country

i will ..........,,,,,,,, try!!!!! Thanks for the,,,..,,, advice!!!!!!! CHeers!!!!!!!!

• lizziebix featured this topic