Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

I have never got whats wrong with the production of the Trilogy. (Or more correctly I get why some people think it's bad but personally I disagree). Some songs are better on Demolicious, for sure, but as a whole the production on Trilogy has never bothered me. What bothers me are the lyrics (especially on Dos) and the derivative music (especially on Dos and sometimes on Uno).

Tre actually is pretty good album, both song-wise and production-wise.

The guitars are too low and clean, the bass doesn't cut through enough, the vocal filters are too high and the snare is a bit weak.

• Like 2

Alright, that is a good point. I never really thought it that way, that it actually about celebrities. Damn me :P but yes, the whole child/teen actor/singer/star thing is creepy, especially the way media treats them and all that shite.

Anyway it IS a good song, but lyrics are nothing special.

At least it is lyrically better than Makeout Party which must be one of the most lyrically embarrassing things they have ever done.

To be fair I probably wouldn't have worked out it's about that if Billie hadn't said so :lol: (back before 21st CB came out, before they took it off the track listing and replaced it with Murder City, he talked about the song meanings in a couple of magazines).

The guitars are too low and clean, the bass doesn't cut through enough, the vocal filters are too high and the snare is a bit weak.

Yes, but it doesn't bother me :P Personally I have never been that hot about production anyway plus cleaner guitars are actually a nice change. I agree when it comes to the bass though.

I don't like Walk Away but it's not awful. I've never understood the hate for Drama Queen though.

I just literally can't get past the period line. And I'm someone who will freely talk about periods IRL at any moment, and doesn't mind when men or anyone else does... but I still cringe every time. But I must congratulate Billie on evoking such a strong emotional reaction from people with his lyrics... it's not easy to truly get that reaction even if you're trying.

He sings about masturbation at every concert as well.

Yeah, that's just funny and it's about him, so it's not that weird.

For some reason Red Tide doesn't bother me as much as the Drama Queen line (probably because it's less literal), although it's also creepy in a similar way.

This all coming from a man who once said in an interview, completely unprovoked, "Have you ever eaten a clump of a woman's period?" So maybe Billie has a fetish that I really, really don't want to know more about. (And I normally would want to know everything about Billie's sexual fetishes, so that's saying something).

There is no such thing as "bad production" on the trilogy, it's just that they decided to go with different sound nothing wrong with that. The production fits the songs.

• Like 2

I think the "daddy's little bundle of joy" line is just as creepy, the whole chorus is. If it was meant literally and sincerely, like he was talking about a daughter or something, then it would totally make me cringe. But since it's meant to depict something creepy (young women being exploited) it's appropriate that it's creepy, so it doesn't.

• Like 3

There is no such thing as "bad production" on the trilogy, it's just that they decided to go with different sound nothing wrong with that. The production fits the songs.

*cough* St Anger *cough*

There is such a thing as "bad production" when the vocal effects are too loud. They tried to do a "live-sounding" album and it sounds totally unnatural.

damn you changed your profile picture to Hayley, beat me to it ;) but agreed, of course there's such a thing as bad production.
  • Like 2

damn you changed your profile picture to Hayley, beat me to it ;) but agreed, of course there's such a thing as bad production.

Obviously there is but what qualifies as bad production is entirely a matter of opinion :P

• Like 1

I am not sure how people can honestly compare the trilogy's production to any of their other albums' production. It makes me want to punch a hole through a wall sometimes ha just kidding. But just listen to other albums' songs with the the trilogy's in the same playlist. It sounds like listening to kerplunk and EDM back to back. Anyway, the songs aren't horrible but imo the production or sound however you look at it ruins it.

Other unpopular opinions I have: I find myself enjoying chump over having a blast or burnout almost every time now. I don't know whether I'm just bored of the other two or i just relate lately so much more to chump's lyrics. I also find 21CB to have strong production at some points but on like 5-6 songs it seems horrible to the point where i can't through it all. I usually substitute live versions or studio 880 demos for those songs in a playlist.

• Like 1

Obviously there is but what qualifies as bad production is entirely a matter of opinion :P

True true, although there is a point where bad production is a fact rather than opinion, the trilogy production isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things but for Green Day it's pretty weak.
  • Like 1

There is such a thing as "bad production" when the vocal effects are too loud. They tried to do a "live-sounding" album and it sounds totally unnatural.

It sounds great. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the production is bad. It's done by professionals who know what they are doing. If they want more vocal effects then they'll add more vocal effects. An artist makes music too please himself not a bunch of forum haters.

I don't know anything about production but I know I've always loved Uno Dos and Tre's. You can hear every instrument/bit of singing/element of the music so clearly, which I've craved but not got on other albums. I enjoy it.

• Like 1

Such argument from authority. Very fallacy. Wow.

Seriously, saying "they're professionals, they know what they're doing" is possibly the worst argument you could make. Professionals fuck up all the time; if that weren't the case, there would be no such thing as a bad record, which there are plenty of.

Also, if we aren't allowed to complain about anything because "an artist makes music for himself", you have no right to constantly complain about AI. Of course, that argument is bullshit for reasons I shouldn't have to spell out, but I'll spell them out anyway: they're selling that music to us. If they're marketing music to us, we should expect to be pleased with the product. And if not, we have every right to complain.

Go jack off to AI then and leave the trilogy to the people who like it. Simple as that. :toocool:

Seriously, saying "they're professionals, they know what they're doing" is possibly the worst argument you could make. Professionals fuck up all the time; if that weren't the case, there would be no such thing as a bad record, which there are plenty of.

Also, if we aren't allowed to complain about anything because "an artist makes music for himself", you have no right to constantly complain about AI. Of course, that argument is bullshit for reasons I shouldn't have to spell out, but I'll spell them out anyway: they're selling that music to us. If they're marketing music to us, we should expect to be pleased with the product. And if not, we have every right to complain.

I don't think the fact that they're selling it really matters, they have no obligation to us in terms of how it sounds whether they're marketing it to us or not. But we're not obligated to like it either. Basically they can do what they want and we can think what we want.

Go jack off to AI then and leave the trilogy to the people who like it. Simple as that. :toocool:

Or let people who like AI say they like AI and people who like the trilogy say they like the trilogy, and let people who dislike AI say they dislike AI and people who dislike the trilogy say they dislike the trilogy. And let people say why they agree or disagree without making it personal or taking it personally. It's a recipe for a thread!

• Like 1

I'll expect you to extend the same courtesy to those of us who jack off to AI, then.

I do actually enjoy the guitars on the trilogy and you can like Billie said "hear the wood of the guitars". The levels are fine too, its just how they used the same tone for every single song and the vocals by far are the worst thing about the songs.

It sounds great. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the production is bad. It's done by professionals who know what they are doing. If they want more vocal effects then they'll add more vocal effects. An artist makes music too please himself not a bunch of forum haters.

Appeal to authority…yawn

Edit: Dammit Darth

I do actually enjoy the guitars on the trilogy and you can like Billie said "hear the wood of the guitars". The levels are fine too, its just how they used the same tone for every single song and the vocals by far are the worst thing about the songs.

I don't like the guitars but my real gripe is with the vocals. Billie's voice is an iconic one and the trilogy production just didn't work vocally.

• Like 1

To be fair to Seagull, I do remember having a heated discussion on this thread maybe a year ago in which the majority of GDCers said that Green Day only made music for themselves and it didn't matter what the fans thought or if it was any good or if anyone listened to it. I was called a troll for disagreeing.

• lizziebix featured this topic