Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

AI (the single) is important. To deny that is simply an individual looking for ways to be controversial. Warning was a commercial flop. The band was on the cusp of retiring. The public simply wasn't interested in Green Day anymore. Then, in the middle of an era where Bush was POPULAR (he got re-elected, btw), Green Day release their first single, American Idiot. The song immediately captured the public's attention, amassing radio play and sales in large quantities. AI was the first GD song to be featured on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at 61.

Bottom line is, the song made an impact.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alienation.

This line garnered a lot of praise from critics everywhere. AI served it's purpose perfectly. It got GD back on the map, it captured the public's attention. It made a statement.

• Like 4

AI (the single) is important. To deny that is simply an individual looking for ways to be controversial. Warning was a commercial flop. The band was on the cusp of retiring. The public simply wasn't interested in Green Day anymore. Then, in the middle of an era where Bush was POPULAR (he got re-elected, btw), Green Day release their first single, American Idiot.

Agreed completely. And it is for these very reasons I think that 'don't wanna be an American idiot' as the opening line to that song is the best, if not the most important, line Billie's ever written.
  • Like 1

On the subject of Warning, I think it's one of the most overlooked and underrated albums of all time. I guess it is the most un-Green Day album overall, but I don't even think that matters, the songwriting is fantastic. I think they changed up their style at the right time though, as I'd be surprised if they'd have been able to squeeze another decent album out of that style. I just hate how they were written off after putting a genuinely good album out though, and I'll never understand that.

• Like 3

On the subject of Warning, I think it's one of the most overlooked and underrated albums of all time. I guess it is the most un-Green Day album overall, but I don't even think that matters, the songwriting is fantastic. I think they changed up their style at the right time though, as I'd be surprised if they'd have been able to squeeze another decent album out of that style.

I've always wondered what would've happened if they'd written another Warning-style album rather than C&V or AI. Could've been pretty awesome.

I've always wondered what would've happened if they'd written another Warning-style album rather than C&V or AI. Could've been pretty awesome.

I think Viva La Gloria (Little Girl) is kind of Misery-esque, so I find the blend of styles between Warning and Breakdown very interesting. I'd love a full album of that kind of stuff. But they still had to evolve from Warning.

On the subject of Warning, I think it's one of the most overlooked and underrated albums of all time. I guess it is the most un-Green Day album overall, but I don't even think that matters, the songwriting is fantastic. I think they changed up their style at the right time though, as I'd be surprised if they'd have been able to squeeze another decent album out of that style. I just hate how they were written off after putting a genuinely good album out though, and I'll never understand that.

I think if they had made better single choices it would have done better. Castaway and Church On Sunday were made for the radio, and they could've been pretty successful.

• Like 1

The whole warning album is fantastic. It may not be that popular but real GD fans know how great that album really is.

The whole warning album is fantastic. It may not be that popular but real GD fans know how great that album really is.

Waiting and the title track Warning are nothing compared to anything from their more recent catalog.

Waiting and the title track Warning are nothing compared to anything from their more recent catalog.

Hmm... yeah how about no.
  • Like 1

Explain to me what a "real" fan is. But yes, it's brilliant start to finish.

Explain to me what a "real" fan is. But yes, it's brilliant start to finish.

One who conforms to his ideals and his ideals only

Hmm... yeah how about no.

Blew me away with that reasoning.

• Like 3

Explain to me what a "real" fan is.

As far as I understand a real fan is one who agrees with Steven. I should have a grade in ornithology.

• Like 3

Warning's alright. It's got some good songs on it. It's just not really my type of music.

I used to think Misery was the best Green Day song when I listened it for the first time. Now that thought just makes me laugh but I think what initially caught me was the different ambition and the overall diversity from all their other songs. They wanted to do something very different with many different instruments and that's great considering the result. Also the lyrics sound amazing to me, and how they try to describe what misery is through those 4 odd mini-stories related to each other.

Probably not even the best song on Warning, but still great!

• Like 1

Best song on Warning is Blood Sex and Booze. Possibly as good as all the other songs put together.

• Like 2

Best song on Warning is Blood Sex and Booze. Possibly as good as all the other songs put together.

It was a great choice to delete the Macy's Day Parade part! :D

It was a great choice to delete the Macy's Day Parade part! :D

Haha just couldn't be bothered as I don't even dislike it, just prefer the other songs. But I'll say it again: Macy's Day Parade is the worst song on Warning, come at me :P

• Like 1

Haha just couldn't be bothered as I don't even dislike it, just prefer the other songs. But I'll say it again: Macy's Day Parade is the worst song on Warning, come at me :P

BURN! >: (

I'm not alone!!! :dance: I don't hate the song at all, it just doesn't match up to the brilliance that is the rest of the album. It also just seems like a bit of an attempt to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was "Good Riddance".

I'm not alone!!! :dance: I don't hate the song at all, it just doesn't match up to the brilliance that is the rest of the album. It also just seems like a bit of an attempt to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was "Good Riddance".

It's mostly just the extremely monotonous guitar that spoils it for me, does fit the theme and mood of the song to be fair but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable to listen to.

• lizziebix featured this topic