Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

I don't read instagram comments. And they most likely don't either  (and so their kids) :P

I agree the daddy thing is creepy when it's meant sexually. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spark in the night said:

So we know the release date is October 7. Isn't that the same day as 80's birthday? 

Her birthday is the 6th. I know this because it's also my mum's birthday :P 

This moment at 3:48 when they transion to Basket Case and you can see happiness on Tre's and Billie's face and how proud they are will forever be my favorite Green Day moment.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

This moment at 3:48 when they transion to Basket Case and you can see happiness on Tre's and Billie's face and how proud they are will forever be my favorite Green Day moment.

seeing as how Bang Bang was already written at the time of their induction, I wonder if that was on the back of their minds the whole time and just really excited for the next era of GD

I rewatched the HoF induction night a few days ago and I was thinking the same thing, it's probably one of my favourite videos to watch ever :lol: 

Especially watching them perform makes me feel all :happy:

25 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Her birthday is the 6th. I know this because it's also my mum's birthday :P 

Oh I was so close! :lol:

3 hours ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

To whoever runs the @green-day-bread Tumblr: I fucking love you.

Omg. I can't pick my favorite. This is genius.

6 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

seeing as how Bang Bang was already written at the time of their induction, I wonder if that was on the back of their minds the whole time and just really excited for the next era of GD

Really? Shit that was ages ago...could very well be a possibility in that case. Excited for the new album. I'll learn to love the next era/phase of GD whether it takes 6 months or 6 years

13 minutes ago, N A I said:

The fact that no one in my real life can share the excitement about GD coming back is just frustrating.

Yeah that sucks.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 10:21 PM, JJ1964 said:

The lyrics are dribble and the music sounds like a funeral dirge.  It is a beautiful gift to his wife and I think it should have stayed between the two of them.  And then he reused the music and made it WMUWSE which is another song I don't like

I think Last Night on Earth is far superior

All the slow songs like that are just incredibly "meh". Last Night On Earth is one of the worst songs they've done though, without a doubt. WMUWSE would be a good song if it wasn't incredibly overplayed. Wonder how many people actually know what it's about (obviously Green Day fans do, but I meant people who listen to them from a casual point of view), it just means so much to Billie, must be weird for a song like that to be incredibly popular from his point of view. 

In terms of songs in the same vein as that, could you count Misery as one? That's the most under-rated "slow-ish" song they've done. We'll never hear it live, crimnal haha

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

All the slow songs like that are just incredibly "meh". Last Night On Earth is one of the worst songs they've done though, without a doubt. WMUWSE would be a good song if it wasn't incredibly overplayed. Wonder how many people actually know what it's about (obviously Green Day fans do, but I meant people who listen to them from a casual point of view), it just means so much to Billie, must be weird for a song like that to be incredibly popular from his point of view. 

In terms of songs in the same vein as that, could you count Misery as one? That's the most under-rated "slow-ish" song they've done. We'll never hear it live, crimnal haha

I have to disagree on Last Night on Earth, I think it is one of the most beautiful ballads they have ever done.  Musically, I find it beautifully serene and calming.  I find the lyrics heartfelt and mature.  Where WIT's lyrics sound like they were by a 5th grader and musically pretty much the same.  

WMUWSE is pretty much the exact same song musically.  I agree that most casual fans would not understand what the song is about if they didn't know the back story, which is one of the reasons I don't think the song works.  

I don't consider Misery a ballad.  Usually ballads are of a romantic nature.  It is a slower song.  FYI, I love Misery.   

• Like 2

In love with Cigarettes and Valentines at the minute (the song, I don't have a secret copy of the album :P )

I'm usually pretty serious when it comes to the whole iHeart incident, but my boyfriend seems to think that it was a pre-planned thing gone wrong.
And normally I get pretty huffy when he says stuff like that, but then i got to thinking...

To advertise iHeart Music Festival 2016, the radio STILL uses Green Day's promo recordings from 2012 ("Hey this is Tre Cool of Green Day" etc) instead of treating the incident as something that is never to be spoken of again. Which means in a 4 year span, regardless of all the other artists who have played for them since, they still use Green Day to promote their festival.
Now they're working together with Q&A sessions and album/single promotions??

Maybe BJ was needing to check into rehab no matter what, and knew that they weren't going to be able to do as much with the album while he was away,  so they tried to pull off a huge publicity thing right beforehand and tie it in? I'm all for a good conspiracy theory.

Ultimately, though, I think iHeart chose to bury the hatchet because the band is just too lucrative to write off.
Green Day is the second biggest band in the world (sorry don't be butthurt, Metallica still holds the title) and it's impossible to not kiss their ass when a comeback album is announced.

6 minutes ago, Maid Meringue said:

Green Day is the second biggest band in the world (sorry don't be butthurt, Metallica still holds the title) 

how are they the second biggest band in the world?

Just now, WhiteTim said:

how are they the second biggest band in the world?

Because Metallica is the biggest band in the world. I just said that :lol:

They're more accessible, they paved the way for multiple genres of music and continue to do so, and by sheer record sales alone they blow Green Day out of the water.

Green Day is the Metallica of alternative music. But to say that Metallica is the Green Day of thrash/metal is an insult.

1 minute ago, Maid Meringue said:

Because Metallica is the biggest band in the world. I just said that :lol:

They're more accessible, they paved the way for multiple genres of music and continue to do so, and by sheer record sales alone they blow Green Day out of the water.

Green Day is the Metallica of alternative music. But to say that Metallica is the Green Day of thrash/metal is an insult.

100 other artists blow GD out of the water by sales alone GnR (nearly double GD's sales) U2 Bon Jovi Van Halen Coldplay Led Zeppelin Beatles Queen etc 

• Like 1

I don't buy that theory. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. 

iHeart surely wasn't angry at them for making their festival very topical. It made much better promo for the festival than for the band. iHeart is happy to play a band that made their event go viral. 

The "scandal" just didn't work well for the band. It wasn't a badass thing that would draw attention to the albums, it was a huge-ass flop. That's why I don't doubt it was unintentional. This just isn't what you do if you want to minimize the consequences of going to rehab instead of doing proper promo. Jesus Christ, they wiped off any publicity the albums could have gotten with this.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

100 other artists blow GD out of the water by sales alone GnR (nearly double GD's sales) U2 Bon Jovi Van Halen Coldplay Led Zeppelin Beatles Queen etc 

You bring up a good point. I think as far as influence and pure talent, Queen would be the cream of the crop. However Metallica continues to be relevant even when they're inactive which i think allows them to hold the title. It's impossible to avoid them, because they've established themselves as a brand as well as musicians. You can't walk into any mall, grocery, venue, bar, etc without seeing at least 3 people wearing their shirt that they bought at Sears.

42 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I don't buy that theory. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. 

iHeart surely wasn't angry at them for making their festival very topical. It made much better promo for the festival than for the band. iHeart is happy to play a band that made their event go viral. 

The "scandal" just didn't work well for the band. It wasn't a badass thing that would draw attention to the albums, it was a huge-ass flop. That's why I don't doubt it was unintentional. This just isn't what you do if you want to minimize the consequences of going to rehab instead of doing proper promo. Jesus Christ, they wiped any publicity the albums could have gotten with this.

Exactly, that's why i said that it was something that completely backfired. I hate that it happened just as much as the rest of us.

I'm stuck in a McDonald's now because it's raining like crazy out there:dry: good I have my ipod with me so I have GD music for company :) it's all I feel like listening to these days :D

11 hours ago, Maid Meringue said:

Exactly, that's why i said that it was something that completely backfired. I hate that it happened just as much as the rest of us.

That's why I think it really wasn't a publicity stunt. Like, what would they think it would be good for? 

• Like 1

Just watched heart like a handgrenade. My three major takeaways are:

1. Holy shit 12 string banjos exist I'm in love

2. I knew when it's time was old but I had no idea Billie presented it to Rob for possible inclusion on American idioti

3. Tre is way more talented than I remembered. He can play guitar and piano fairly well. I've always loved tres country-Ish joke songs and if he released a solo album it'd like it way more than foreverly 

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic