Random Green Day Thoughts

Fuzz

What mocking birds?

The style of the song itself. To me it´s meant as a reminscence, but with a cheeky twinkle in the eye. "Stop, when the red lights flash". :)

Just listened to "That´s all right". Having been an Elvis-Fan for many years (and still liking his music, especially Sun recordings and early RCA), Green Day´s version really made me laugh. Mocking birds! Haha! Such a funny interpretation. And I like Green Day´s cover of "Like a rolling stone". It´s "cleaner" than Dylan´s original, but nevertheless astonishingly fresh and catchy. Well sung. And listened to "Governator" and "Hearts Collide" and it was almost like falling in love again with the boys. Green Day rules! :D

Their Like A Rolling Stone is good taken on its own, but it misses everything that made the original brilliant.

• Like 1

Their Like A Rolling Stone is good taken on its own, but it misses everything that made the original brilliant.

Weird how some people like better production and not utterly crap singing.

I listened to Like a Rolling Stone recently for the first time but I had to force myself to listen to it til the end...

I don't know why I don't like it, I think maybe it's because it just doesn't fit their style at ALL...

• Like 1

It´s always difficult to keep up with the original, because the original is in our mind. All in all I find that covers by Green Day mostly are weaker, cleaner and smoother than the originals. Nevertheless I like their interpretation of Like a Rolling Stone. I like Dylan´s version as well, it´s rougher, earthier. It´s Dylan.

It´s always difficult to keep up with the original, because the original is in our mind. All in all I find that covers by Green Day mostly are weaker, cleaner and smoother than the originals. Nevertheless I like their interpretation of Like a Rolling Stone. I like Dylan´s version as well, it´s rougher, earthier. It´s Dylan.

Their cover of a quick one is far superior to the original. Working Class Hero is better as well

• Like 1

Their cover of a quick one is far superior to the original. Working Class Hero is better as well

Didn´t listen to Working Class hero yet. I like GD´s A quick one, but find the original more authentic in a way. Maybe just because the original version is in my mind (and simply because it´s the original version), and a cover has it´s own interpretation. E.g. I like Joe Cocker´s With a little help from my friends far more than the Beatles´ original. But I like Cocker´s voice better than the Beatles´voices anyway. :)

I think the opposite. In most cases Green Day's covers are way better than originals. the only ones I think are not as good as the originals are "Tired of Waiting For You" and "I Fought the Law"

• Like 1

I think the opposite. In most cases Green Day's covers are way better than originals. the only ones I think are not as good as the originals are "Tired of Waiting For You" and "I Fought the Law"

I fought the law is very weak, I find. But I can´t find that GD covers are way better than the originals. Except Shout, maybe. :)

Now I listened to Working Class hero as well. The GD version ist very rich and alive and touching. As is Lennon´s with his reduced version with just guitar. Very emotional and in the best manner simple, I think. But yes, to me both versions - GD and Lennon - are great stuff. I like both.

Weird how some people like better production and not utterly crap singing.

The thing is, Dylan's is better produced as well. What's great about the original, apart from the utter conviction in Dylan's vocals, is the fact that you can listen to the instruments as a unified whole or separately; you can pick out the piano, the organ, the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar and bass, and focus on each separately, which helps to generate multiple different listening experiences. In Green Day's version everything is just buried under a mountain of guitar; there's no nuance whatsoever.

• Like 2

The thing is, Dylan's is better produced as well. What's great about the original, apart from the utter conviction in Dylan's vocals, is the fact that you can listen to the instruments as a unified whole or separately; you can pick out the piano, the organ, the lead guitar, the rhythm guitar and bass, and focus on each separately, which helps to generate multiple different listening experiences. In Green Day's version everything is just buried under a mountain of guitar; there's no nuance whatsoever.

No amount of instrumentation can make such a grating, not even close to in tune vocal performance listenable. Dylan is an amazing songwriters, one of the best ever. He is not a vocalist.

• Like 1

World vs World is a great song that really should be released properly.

Not sure how many people wear a T-shirt of a band they are not a fan of, but I politely said yes anyway.

You could have been naked before and someone just gave you this shirt to cover your nudeness. :D

I love "We´re coming home again" and "Novacaine". And I loooove "Viva la Gloria (Little Girl)". Still I wonder why Novacaine gets me again and again, I feel this song in my whole body. More than any other song.

They should do "Puff, the Magic Dragon". Just for me. It´s been my alltime favourite for... don´t know... 30 years or more. :)

• Like 1

I remember when my brother was 13 and he had Dookie. I always hung out with him when he was listening to music. I kept staring at the cover being really intrigued by it. I was 3 at the time. Who knew that 20 years later that album would be one of my favorites. Then I remember my other brother asking for Dookie for Christmas back about 10 years ago and I wrapped it and I kept thinking I've seen this before. Dookie is the only album both my brothers and i have all gotten at different times and now I'm the only one who loves it.

• Like 1

You could have been naked before and someone just gave you this shirt to cover your nudeness. :D

I love "We´re coming home again" and "Novacaine". And I loooove "Viva la Gloria (Little Girl)". Still I wonder why Novacaine gets me again and again, I feel this song in my whole body. More than any other song.

They should do "Puff, the Magic Dragon". Just for me. It´s been my alltime favourite for... don´t know... 30 years or more. :)

Puff - me too! <3

• Like 1

Puff - me too! <3

Don´t believe it. Really? Awwww.... it always gets me and makes me sad...

• Like 1

I had to tell him that he didn't exactly quit.

Was he kicked out?

Finally! I didn't know 21CB's story and now I know! Here it is!: (Taken from Uncyclopedia)

So apparently there is a story in here. Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking exploded trying to figure it out, but I'll give it a shot I guess. So we start out in the 21st Century and everything's great, then bam everybody gets herpes and forgets their enemies. Next thing you know some emo chick named Gloria is running around cutting herself because she hates the seasons, then a guy gets a lobotomy. Then Christian is filled with seething rage so he writes a heartfelt love song, then Jesus makes him angrier. Then he goes out and buys a Pacemaker, but mistakenly reads the label. All of the sudden all of the chicks in America die except one so she is forced to breed endlessly in the Murder City, this causes Christian to run around screaming Gloria? Then Obama tries to change health-care, and everyone is forced to eat prescription drugs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Next the couple plays a friendly game of Horseshoes and Hangrenades because they can't see a thing in the Static Age. Then the cops shoot twenty-one guns at everyone so they sing the American Eulogy, then the sun blows up and their is a big light. The obvious message of it all is: Don't be born in the 21st century, and if you were, (mistake or not) please commit suicide, so you do not have to listen to this album.

Thanks Uncyclopedia!

• Like 3

• Hermione changed the title to Random Green Day Thoughts
  • Liam unpinned this topic
  • Hermione pinned this topic