Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones unveil Duets LP of Everly Brothers covers

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't really sound that refreshing to me. It may be refreshing for him to have played in a different style, but I felt that the actual song sounded like it could've been performed by anyone. I think refreshing means to give something a new lease of life but I just didn't really get that from Long Time Gone.

Having just listened to it myself (2 hours after opening the thread, heh), gotta agree with you. It's a nice song, but there's nothing new happening there. Probably won't even download the album, considering it's probably all just boring folky stuff.

At first I thought the Everly brothers did all these songs themselves and was a bit meh, but it's nicer to know these are all classic American folk songs brought back into the 21st century. Will be nice for a new audience, me included, to hear them :)

Lmao my mum makes fun of Green Day by saying they sound like the Everly Brothers. And to be honest I can't stand Norah Jones' MOR dinner party music/singing. Buuut I suppose I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.

What is MOR? All I knew of Norah Jones before this was her Come Away With Me album which I did love. I understand she's branched out a bit since then? This seems to be different for both of them which is why I'm interested.

The song has a kind of a Johnny Cash & June Carter vibe to it. I like it. :)

Corbett Redford, of the Bay Area punk band Bobby Joe Ebola posted this on FB and someone in the comments made the same comparison. I don't know much about Johnny & June but he replied with this

"I don't see that at all. The long harmonies, for one. Two songwriters paying tribute to the Everly Brothers and their lost album of country covers. Not a Cash cover in the bunch. I am a fan of Cash and Carter but I don't see the simliarity."

Doesn't really sound that refreshing to me. It may be refreshing for him to have played in a different style, but I felt that the actual song sounded like it could've been performed by anyone. I think refreshing means to give something a new lease of life but I just didn't really get that from Long Time Gone.

They wanted the song to sound like it could be performed by anyone. I've heard a few Norah Jones songs and her voice has a lot more energy as compared to this. As I said before, they just wanted to keep this simple.

The song is 'refreshing' when you compare it to the stuff Green Day usually does. It's a bit different from The Forgotten/Brutal Love and their other experiments and not even close to I Run NY.

Having just listened to it myself (2 hours after opening the thread, heh), gotta agree with you. It's a nice song, but there's nothing new happening there. Probably won't even download the album, considering it's probably all just boring folky stuff.

The music might be mellow enough but it doesn't sound like it will be boring. Folk songs stood the test of time because they tell interesting stories about characters and events that are usually forgotten about. These are obviously captivating enough to still be enjoyable today and I'm looking forward to hearing them. I

The music might be mellow enough but it doesn't sound like it will be boring. Folk songs stood the test of time because they tell interesting stories about characters and events that are usually forgotten about. These are obviously captivating enough to still be enjoyable today and I'm looking forward to hearing them. I

Well I was already zoning out after about 20 seconds of that song, so I'm not optimistic. I'm not a fan of 99.99% of folk music, so a covers album that does nothing new with the songs really doesn't appeal to me.

as country music fan, i love this :D

also love how the album comes out a day before my birthday lol

Pretty sure he meant refreshing from the way they usually have to do albums. This was no-pressure, lets just cover these great songs and get more people interested in the work. There was no stressful schedule to try and record the thing over a months-long process, no hectic planning for a tour and marketing. It was just a couple people going into the studio for 9 days and recording some simple songs from the 50's and 60's because they appreciated the music for what it was, and wanted more people to hear it.

I love it. I think they sound great and I love weird side-projects like this.

Well I was already zoning out after about 20 seconds of that song, so I'm not optimistic. I'm not a fan of 99.99% of folk music, so a covers album that does nothing new with the songs really doesn't appeal to me.

I'm surprised, a big Frank Turner fan like you should love this! While it's not a radical change from the original recordings, it brings two very well known voices in which gives the songs a new feel. Plus to have a woman and man singing together makes it unique. Not groundbreaking at all, but a nice touch.

I'd forgetten how much of an Everly Bros fan I used to be. This is a very nice reminder.

I'm so super excited, this brings back childhood memories! I can't wait to hear the rest of the album. This song is already stuck in my head. I always did like Norah Jones' voice. This collaboration is perfect in my opinion. Can't wait for leaks :)

Edit: I'm really not that old, only half a century haha!

I'm surprised, a big Frank Turner fan like you should love this! While it's not a radical change from the original recordings, it brings two very well known voices in which gives the songs a new feel. Plus to have a woman and man singing together makes it unique. Not groundbreaking at all, but a nice touch.

Don't even go there :P

If they'd done something a bit new with them, like made them a bit upbeat, or gave them more of a rock 'n' roll vibe, I would probably like it a lot more. It just makes me feel like they ignored 60 years of musical creativity.

Anyway, as Cat said, it's not for everyone.

When I heard this song for the first time, I bursted out laughing. It's not my cup of tea. I'd better seen Green Day tour.

I haven't listened to the interview, was just replying to what the post said. :) Sure it is, and I'm sure it was a nice change for him. I still feel the same about the music. :lol:

It's a written interview and I do think it's worth reading. Quite interesting, especially to hear how it was Billie's idea and he pushed for it.

They had to hire a bassist and a drummer for this. Couldn't they just call Mike and Tre'? OMG ARE THEY SPLITTING!!!!

Before the butthurt begins,this was a joke

So what was my status yesterday about a new album being released all of the sudden with no warning? This is good enough for me! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm kind of shocked by how well Billie and Norah's voices compliment each other. I'm also surprised by how much I actually like this. Probably going to preorder it.

What...the...fuck...is...this...shit...

Oh come on!

I prefer an album like this than even just even ONE SONG like nighlife (brrr)

Don't even go there :P

If they'd done something a bit new with them, like made them a bit upbeat, or gave them more of a rock 'n' roll vibe, I would probably like it a lot more. It just makes me feel like they ignored 60 years of musical creativity.

Anyway, as Cat said, it's not for everyone.

Well you're making the assumption based on one song. The interview states that they did add some of their own flair.

Nice to see Billie looking smart for once - it suits him! I'll give this a listen later.

Well you're making the assumption based on one song. The interview states that they did add some of their own flair.

I said earlier in the thread that it's "probably" all folky stuff. And that's what the first release is meant to do, isn't it? Give people an idea of what to expect?

And before you cry "Oh Love" that told us exactly what to expect: disappointment :P

Not everyone has to like this kind of music, because if you're not in the 50's, 60's music you're not gonna like that album, I guess. Or maybe you do. But don't say it's shit. Say that you don't like it, that's all.

Archived