....Until they got famous

Sanket

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the first article goes, I hate three of the four people who say things like that. For the second article, I'm sure those bands didn't steal anything, most likely sampled and gave credit to the originators.

The first article really does explain the stupidity of people who are selfish or totally zoned out of the world.

The second one is just stupid. As they say someone copies when 3 chords are played in the same order. Its so stupid as no matter what an artist there is always going to be some similarities to a song that has been made in the past.

Remove that second link, it gave me a virus...

Like a computer virus or it's so horrible it hurts you? It's a cracked article, it wouldn't be carrying any viruses .

Cracked.com it's full of shit, really -_-

I love the site, but they do have, as all sites, their fair share of shit writers that jump onto bandwagons far too often.

Cracked.com isnt meant to be taken seriously have a laugh

The writer of the first article actually writes about Green Day quite a bit. He usually pokes fun at them, but he is definitely a fan. Check out his bit on Billie in this article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-celebrities-who-get-more-hate-than-they-deserve-part-3_p2/

Like a computer virus or it's so horrible it hurts you? It's a cracked article, it wouldn't be carrying any viruses .

Computer virus. I clicked on the link and I got a message telling me that my computer had a virus and was in serious danger...

Computer virus. I clicked on the link and I got a message telling me that my computer had a virus and was in serious danger...

Did you also get an email from someone in the Nigerian government, telling you they have millions of dollars waiting to be transferred into your bank account?

Seriously though, it was possibly one of those pop-up spam ad things. If there was something dodgy on that site it would have affected everyone who clicked the link.

Did you also get an email from someone in the Nigerian government, telling you they have millions of dollars waiting to be transferred into your bank account?

Seriously though, it was possibly one of those pop-up spam ad things. If there was something dodgy on that site it would have affected everyone who clicked the link.

haha I think he was being ironic :P

The writer of the first article actually writes about Green Day quite a bit. He usually pokes fun at them, but he is definitely a fan. Check out his bit on Billie in this article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-celebrities-who-get-more-hate-than-they-deserve-part-3_p2/

Although I don't think its possible in any way that he gets more hate than Justin Bieber

Both these articles are almost a year old. Just sayin'.

Yeah, sorry bout that, I read them just today

There are only so many chords in the world. It figures that sooner or later someone is going to write a song that sounds pretty similar to one that's already been written. Anyway Im pretty sure that most of the bands (including Green Day) give credit, where credit is due, to the bands that have helped inspire their own material.

there are so many of these out there: a lot of Foxboro hot tubs sounds just like other songs. "I'm not your stepping stone". Just think of how many songs are out there in the world. An infinite number. so there are probably a few million that have the same beat, same guitar riff, and even similar lyrics. Doesn't mean a thing.

"Green Day was only a good band on those first two albums where all the songs sound exactly the same because they're all the same song."

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

This.

Seriously, this.

I really don't want to offend you guys, but come on. They do. I love every album with all my heart but REALLY. SO SIMILAR. And I truly think it goes beyond 1,039 and Kerplunk.... Like, I specifically remember the moment when I was at work and we always play the Top 40 hits and all of a sudden Oh Love comes on (for the first time, and I had been on a Green Day hiatus so I had no idea they were even back around). And I obviously recognize it's Green Day and I just turn to some lady shopping and say "Dammit Green Day, LEARN A DIFFERENT SONG." Again, I do love every song in its own way, but like... Ugh.

That's why I think songs like Lady Cobra and Nightlife and things are so important. Even if you don't like them, they really change it up for Green Day. Sometimes you don't wanna hear Oh Love again on the trilogy.

*I need to get back in the Unpopular Opinions thread*

"Green Day was only a good band on those first two albums where all the songs sound exactly the same because they're all the same song."

THIS

THIS

THIS

THIS

This.

Seriously, this.

I really don't want to offend you guys, but come on. They do. I love every album with all my heart but REALLY. SO SIMILAR. And I truly think it goes beyond 1,039 and Kerplunk.... Like, I specifically remember the moment when I was at work and we always play the Top 40 hits and all of a sudden Oh Love comes on (for the first time, and I had been on a Green Day hiatus so I had no idea they were even back around). And I obviously recognize it's Green Day and I just turn to some lady shopping and say "Dammit Green Day, LEARN A DIFFERENT SONG." Again, I do love every song in its own way, but like... Ugh.

That's why I think songs like Lady Cobra and Nightlife and things are so important. Even if you don't like them, they really change it up for Green Day. Sometimes you don't wanna hear Oh Love again on the trilogy.

*I need to get back in the Unpopular Opinions thread*

Apparently everyone's already saying this. That's what I get for going back and forth between work and typing this.

No, it was a message from my actual computer, not some pop-up thing.

No, it was a message from my actual computer, not some pop-up thing.

Sounds like your anti-virus software requires a sense of humour update =/

Amen to everything they said in the first one! A little pet peeve of mine is when people (especially successful musicians) make comments about how music these days is dead, simply based on their opinion of what they hear on pop radio. Music is not dead. Your opinion of pop radio makes you sound pretentious and narrow-minded. I saw a picture of Dave Grohl on the internet a couple of days ago, with captions from an interview saying (something like) there's no passion in rock music any more. I mean, really?

Could be a classic case of "don't believe everything you see on the internet" but still, there have been enough comments from rock musicians about the apparent apocalyptic state of the music industry "these days" to believe what he said could've been an accurate quote. It's such a fucking stupid thing to say. Just look at this forum, for example. 90% of the members (including myself) play instruments, and have been in rock bands inspired by Green Day. One look at this tiny section of internet and you have a treasure trove of passionate, hopeful musicians, while the guys who are supposed to be representing us are out there complaining about how rock is dead? No. If everyone stopped being so blinkered and up their own arses about the top 40 chart, then these opinions wouldn't exist.

I think I know the one you're referencing, or at least one of the Dave Grohl ones. He has one about American Idol that I agree with entirely, and felt the Cracked article got wrong.

Reaction to first article: HOLY SHIT! CRACKED IS ACTUALLY KIND OF DEFENDING GREEN DAY!. What a change!

I have read that second article before and thought that it was kind of not that big a deal if a song sounds kind of like another song. So fucking what? There are like zillions of songs out there. Of course there are going to be ones that sound alike. That does not mean that it's ripping another artist off.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-crazy-reasons-classic-albums-almost-never-got-made/ He admits it!

'Green Day, my absolute[background=

r(255,255,255)] favorite band in the world[background=rgb(255,255,2

55)] to write about'

He admits nothing. He simply establishes what we all already knew: he thoroughly enjoys attacking and occasionally defending Green Day. He implies somewhat that he maybe likes them more than he lets on, but this is far from a full blown admission of fandom :P

For God's sake, why don't we have a single thread for all Cracked articles that mention Green Day yet? There's like fifteen of them, including one just the other day about American Idiot. It had "classic albums" in the name, IDR what it was.

Archived