Billie Joe on new Lonely Island album

Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

I don't know why Billie has this sudden thing with rap..

I didn't like nightlife at all, and even this song doesn't impress me..

He should try experimenting, but at least the experiment should be good

He once said in an interview 'I don't buy rap music'. What's happened now?

I think you're taking it a little seriously. This song is meant to be a bit of fun, it's not a serious artistic endeavour. You may not like the fun and that's okay but it's not meant to be impressive, just a laugh. Nightlife was a more serious creative experiment, but not all experiments tick the boxes for everyone (personally I think it's a great song, I love the rhythm to it and how dark it is). Unless they release something where they are seriously trying to be rap artists, there is nothing to worry about.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard that quote before. Link to the interview? The only time I've heard Billie talk negatively about rap was when he said he didn't like some of Eminem's lyrics a decade ago. Since then he's praised Eminem (he even said his music was one of many influences on American Idiot) and praised rap music, saying he's impressed by how rappers come right out and say what they want to say. They've always respected it as far as I can see, Tre was a huge NWA fan and once picked their album as his favourite album of all time in an interview, and he wrote Like A Rat Does Cheese by quoting/stealing lines from rap songs, and they've praised Tupac and the Beastie Boys before. Just because some Green Day fans are closed-minded towards rap music it doesn't mean Green Day are.

But all that's beside the point really. THIS IS A JOKE SONG :P. It doesn't matter if they like rap music or not because this isn't supposed to be a serious attempt at rap music. It's just a joke.

But all that's beside the point really. THIS IS A JOKE SONG :P. It doesn't matter if they like rap music or not because this isn't supposed to be a serious attempt at rap music. It's just a joke.

Hermione...prepare to laugh at Go Kindergarten by Lonely Island:

Even though I have to admit that hearing this was kind of weird first, I now find myself liking Billie's parts. At least a little. It's a lot of fun to listen to this song, really :P

When I first heard it I was like...is this real? But now I think it's just a really fun song. I guess I kind of expected it to be goofier, but I really love Billie's part! I hope there's a music video :3

Finally listening to this on Spotify. It cracks me up so much. It's so true. You couldn't pay me to be mayor of this city, lol.

Totally just bought the song Billie's on. I love how grr his voice is in it. Yes. "grr."

Why have I been humming this song all day today? I don't even like it. Grr. :pinch:

Success, on their part. :lol:

Edit: This is my 1,500th post. Whoops. How lame of me. Ha.

Same goes for me, totally! It really isn't my kind of song but I've been humming it ever since I had my first listen :lol::pinch:

He finally saw the light and realized music snobbery is bullshit and rap music is amazing.

I've loved the Lonely Island since their first album, so naturally I think this song is fantastic. Billie sounds fucking awesome in it.

On the Wack Album on iTunes, I Run NY is tied for second most downloaded.

Billie Joe is The Boss! :lol:

I really like this, his voice sounds amazing!

I love that city, the Lonely Island are hilarious, and I love Billie Joe, so I hyped it up quite a lot in my head. I tried not to, but couldn't help it.

The song leaked about a week ago online, and I couldn't resist downloading it. I haven't been able to stop listening to it since!

I think it's fucking hilarious! Especially the parts about how crowded and covered in garbage NYC is, fighting mutant rats in the subway, and the cheif of police bullying.

I've seen a lot of people saying that Billie Joe doesn't sound like himself. I didn't have a problem recognizing that it was his voice. It just has an effect on it, similar to "Nightlife" (which is a similar song in terms of composition, minus the lyrical content, actually). Almost like he's singing through a megaphone. I think he sounds totally badass, love it!

I wasn't disapointed.

W U T is this I am listening to.

I'm not familiar with New York at all, so I have difficulty understanding the humor in it. But it's funny anyway, was probably fun to make. All in all I'd say it's all right!

I think its kind of funny that Billie Joe sings about apples in both his rap songs.

I've never heard that quote before. Link to the interview? The only time I've heard Billie talk negatively about rap was when he said he didn't like some of Eminem's lyrics a decade ago. Since then he's praised Eminem (he even said his music was one of many influences on American Idiot) and praised rap music, saying he's impressed by how rappers come right out and say what they want to say. They've always respected it as far as I can see, Tre was a huge NWA fan and once picked their album as his favourite album of all time in an interview, and he wrote Like A Rat Does Cheese by quoting/stealing lines from rap songs, and they've praised Tupac and the Beastie Boys before. Just because some Green Day fans are closed-minded towards rap music it doesn't mean Green Day are.

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=232

I'm pretty sure its somewhere over here

Hermione...prepare to laugh at Go Kindergarten by Lonely Island:

:lol: Excellent.

http://larrylivermore.com/?p=232

I'm pretty sure its somewhere over here

Ahh that's true, he did say this in part three of that:

"To tell you the truth, I don’t really buy rap music. The way that it sounds, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I’m sure some rap artists are saying great things, but I’ve just never been into that sound. I like guitars. I like bands. And I like rock and roll. I don’t want to come across like a purist. I respect rap music and hip hop, but it’s not something that really appeals to me."

But even there he just said it didn't appeal to him, and that he still respected it. And since then it seems he's opened his mind to it more anyway, saying things like "Looking at a guy like Eminem, the way he put his records out and how he goes from character to character and how a lot of hip-hop artists use different names, conceptually, I think that's why a lot of hip-hop records become so eventful. All of a sudden a character will come up. A dialogue will come up. The ambition a lot of hip-hop records have, that's something I can relate to". In more recent times he's had nothing but good things to say about it, (I sadly can't find the quotes, but he's definitely said he was listening to Eminem among other things while making American Idiot, and that he's impressed by how rap artists come out and say exactly what they want to say better than a lot of rock artists). So I don't think it's fair to act like he's been against rap music up until now, that clearly isn't the case.

But of course this is still just a joke song so it still doesn't really matter :D

Archived