Green Day remixing trilogy guitars

jacknovella

Listen-able I'd agree with. I know you said poppiest, which is relative, but none of them are poppy. Catchiest maybe. With the exception of Wild One, those are some of my favourite tracks from the trilogy.

If they throw in Let Yourself Go and Kill the DJ it would be perfect!

Stay the Night

Stray Heart

Missing You

99 Revolutions

These ones are all poppy, and would do well as singles.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just talking about how they didn't let go 21CB go for a long time because they were tweaking it making sure it was absolutely perfect, especially with the pressure of following up American Idiot. They're by no means a band that will record half-heartedly and release just to make a quick buck.

Oh, yeah, I agree with that. I was talking about the mixing/production and stuff and just basically saying that sound-wise they'd bite the bullet for the label's sake.

I hope it's more than just remixing the guitars. I hope the songs are completely re-written, reworked, completely differnet animals. Remixed guitars just sounds....kind of boring. Like the the song is the song, just slightly different.

I hope it's more than just remixing the guitars. I hope the songs are completely re-written, reworked, completely differnet animals. Remixed guitars just sounds....kind of boring. Like the the song is the song, just slightly different.

Unfortunately a green day song is a green song, same as a hot tubs song, so I don't see that happening. Not that it is a horrible thing. But more than half of their songs are almost exactly the same. So, even if they were acoustic or electronic or something they'd still basically be the same. Maybe lyrically they could mix things up but the songs are what they are. So, maybe I'm confused as to what you mean?

Unfortunately a green day song is a green song, same as a hot tubs song, so I don't see that happening. Not that it is a horrible thing. But more than half of their songs are almost exactly the same. So, even if they were acoustic or electronic or something they'd still basically be the same. Maybe lyrically they could mix things up but the songs are what they are. So, maybe I'm confused as to what you mean?

I mean this: I hope if they release new versions of Trilogy songs, that there more of a difference than the guitar parts being slightly altered.

I mean this: I hope if they release new versions of Trilogy songs, that there more of a difference than the guitar parts being slightly altered.

I hear what you're saying...I am among those that think that the Trilogy was fantastic (my iPod tells me that I've listened to nothing but the Trilogy about 95% of the time since September, which is probably unhealthy on many levels), but I do think that some parts could have been condensed or reworked to be made even better. Then again, I'm sure we've all created things- in work, school, etc.- that in retrospect could have been improved upon, so I am conflicted on this topic. Yes, it would be really interesting to see what the Trilogy would sound like if reworked, but at the same time, I think it definitely stands on its own merits as a fantastic release. Whatever they choose to do is fine by me...after all, they're Green Day. I can honestly say they've never, ever dissapointed me after 20+ years of being a fan. I can't say that about anything or anyone else.

Some people are going on like trilogy was horrible mess. Wanting new songs to be rewritten. What a joke

If they did that I'd be unhappy that they released them in the first place be such an unprofessional thing to do

Some people are going on like trilogy was horrible mess. Wanting new songs to be rewritten. What a joke

If they did that I'd be unhappy that they released them in the first place be such an unprofessional thing to do

Well some people were disappointed with the trilogy, they have just as much right to express their opinion than people who liked it do. That being said, I think most peoples criticism are aimed at the MIXING of the songs rather than the actual songs themselves. I don't think it would be unprofessional thing to do at all, Green Day have always been a band that will do what they like and what they feel is right despite backlash from peers, critics, fans, etc.

If they decide that they want to experiment with their own work, so be it :) I for one am excited to hear what they come up with should they choose to release it :)

Haven't weighed in on this yet, but count me among those that love this idea.

I enjoy the trilogy for the most part. My one complaint was the guitar tones they got for this batch of songs. It just wasn't that signature Gren Day sound, to me. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that there are now two distinct playing styles on the recordings, but that's not what I'm looking at.

Billie mentioned (maybe in the Guitar World piece?) that they were taking a different approach to the sounds; they were using a wider variety of amps instead of the usual, high-gain Marshall tone. The guitars are fucking LOUD, but they're also very clean. The intro in Stay the Night is a good example- you can almost hear the way the wood of the guitar body colors the tone. It's just that clean.

Anyway, if the intention is to beef up the tones in the left side of my headphones on a handful of songs, then I'm all for it. This isn't a simple remixing though; that would mean they were just being panned, raised or lowered in the overall mix. Seems like Billie is redoing his parts, so I'm interested in comparing the final product to the original recordings. Hopefully we get that chance.

Well some people were disappointed with the trilogy, they have just as much right to express their opinion than people who liked it do. That being said, I think most peoples criticism are aimed at the MIXING of the songs rather than the actual songs themselves. I don't think it would be unprofessional thing to do at all, Green Day have always been a band that will do what they like and what they feel is right despite backlash from peers, critics, fans, etc.

If they decide that they want to experiment with their own work, so be it :) I for one am excited to hear what they come up with should they choose to release it :)

Unlikely, but maybe they are working on sort of a compilation of the three albums, with all the songs that are the most radio-friendly and trying to make them even bigger and better so more people will get to hear the amazing Trilogy songs. An album called Nuclear Family. !

Nuclear Family:

1. Stay the Night
  2. Let Yourself Go
  3. Kill the DJ
  4. Oh Love
  5. Rusty James
  6. F Time (or Wild One)
  7. Lazy Bones
  8. Stray Heart
  9. Amy
  10. Stop When the red lights flash
  11. Brutal Love
  12. Missing You (or Dirty Rotten Bastards)
  13. 8th Avenue Serenade
  14. X-Kid
  15. 99 Revolutions

Haven't weighed in on this yet, but count me among those that love this idea.

I enjoy the trilogy for the most part. My one complaint was the guitar tones they got for this batch of songs. It just wasn't that signature Gren Day sound, to me. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that there are now two distinct playing styles on the recordings, but that's not what I'm looking at.

Billie mentioned (maybe in the Guitar World piece?) that they were taking a different approach to the sounds; they were using a wider variety of amps instead of the usual, high-gain Marshall tone. The guitars are fucking LOUD, but they're also very clean. The intro in Stay the Night is a good example- you can almost hear the way the wood of the guitar body colors the tone. It's just that clean.

Anyway, if the intention is to beef up the tones in the left side of my headphones on a handful of songs, then I'm all for it. This isn't a simple remixing though; that would mean they were just being panned, raised or lowered in the overall mix. Seems like Billie is redoing his parts, so I'm interested in comparing the final product to the original recordings. Hopefully we get that chance.

When I think of billie's tone, even per trilogy, I thought of that lightly overdriven punchy tone. It's nothing new, (Waiting, AI, KYE, Horeshoes, Homecoming) its been used a lot and no ones said anything before.

When I think of billie's tone, even per trilogy, I thought of that lightly overdriven punchy tone. It's nothing new, (Waiting, AI, KYE, Horeshoes, Homecoming) its been used a lot and no ones said anything before.

I think the difference is you're listing a song or two from other albums (although I don't agree outside of maybe Waiting), which you could consider to be anomalies. I'm talking about the tonal scope of the trilogy, where that's just how he decided his guitars were going to sound. Off the top of my head, the only deviations from that are the acoustic tracks, Amy and maybe Lady Cobra.

I think the difference is you're listing a song or two from other albums (although I don't agree outside of maybe Waiting), which you could consider to be anomalies. I'm talking about the tonal scope of the trilogy, where that's just how he decided his guitars were going to sound. Off the top of my head, the only deviations from that are the acoustic tracks, Amy and maybe Lady Cobra.

Makeout Party too (it's still the tone but it has a hard fuzz on top)

Anybody know wehn the remixed guitar songs release??

Nuclear Family:

1. Stay the Night
  2. Let Yourself Go
  3. Kill the DJ
  4. Oh Love
  5. Rusty James
  6. F Time (or Wild One)
  7. Lazy Bones
  8. Stray Heart
  9. Amy
  11. Brutal Love
  13. 8th Avenue Serenade
  14. X-Kid
  15. 99 Revolutions

I think it's possible that they are doing a compilation. Funnily enough you talk about a compilation called Nuclear Family but with no Nuclear Family on it :lol: I'd love it if they made a compilation with the best from the trilogy, with re-recorded and upgraded versions that sound different (maybe not so overproduced, lower vocals?). But if they were doing it, I'd say it would be called ¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! or something like that. Maybe ¡Cinco!, although I think that name would be better for a live CD/DVD.

There's a pretty high chance of it.

I Hope so...!

Unlikely, but maybe they are working on sort of a compilation of the three albums, with all the songs that are the most radio-friendly and trying to make them even bigger and better so more people will get to hear the amazing Trilogy songs. An album called Nuclear Family. !

Nuclear Family:

1. Stay the Night
  2. Let Yourself Go
  3. Kill the DJ
  4. Oh Love
  5. Rusty James
  6. F Time (or Wild One)
  7. Lazy Bones
  8. Stray Heart
  9. Amy
  11. Brutal Love
  13. 8th Avenue Serenade
  14. X-Kid
  15. 99 Revolutions

What a fantastic selection of songs! If they just released that as one album it would have been amazing!

Nuclear Family:

• Stay the Night
  • Let Yourself Go
  • Kill the DJ
  • Oh Love
  • Rusty James
  • F Time (or Wild One)
  • Lazy Bones
  • Stray Heart
  • Amy
  • Stop When the red lights flash
  • Brutal Love
  • Missing You (or Dirty Rotten Bastards)
  • 8th Avenue Serenade
  • X-Kid
  • 99 Revolutions
That's perfect for me! Where's the title track though?

If they're gonna make a recopilation I'd rather have them put 18 songs on it. Small difference from 15, but y'know. Maybe it could be:

1. Nuclear Family

2. Stay the Night

3. Let Yourself Go

4. Kill the DJ

5. Oh Love

6. Rusty James

7. Wild One

8. Lazy Bones

9. Stray Heart

10. Amy

11. Stop When the red lights flash

12. Brutal Love