Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Billie Joe is old. He needs to stop wearing makeup. it's his fault everyone thinks Green Day is a bunch of gay emo dudes.

And I play KYE all the time, it gives me something to tap my fingers to when I do my homework, but doesn't overly distract me like good music does

and Stray Heart is the second best song of the trilogy, under Loss of Control

Uh.......he's not OLD.......you're freakin young.......just wait kiddo...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nimrod is a creative album and it was their most creative album till the trilogy came out. Nimrod had a whole lot of songs with varying compositions. But the trilogy had all of that and a lot more stuff. Power Pop, Garage Rock, Dance Punk etc

How could you even call 21st CB a creative album? It was a rip off of all the old green day records, mostly American Idiot. The only new things we saw were Viva La Gloria and Last Night on Earth.It was a over-produced, over-hyped record which survived on the success of American Idiot.

The songwriting you're talking about is nothing different from that of Nimrod or Warning or basically any other GD record. Then why is it that Nimrod is deemed a creative record for using the same format as the trilogy but the latter is not? The Trilogy had 37 songs. Maybe not all were good, but a majority of them were amazing. And tbh, the trilogy's sound was different in comparison to the other GD records. I have always loved Nimrod more than any other GD album and it is their best record. But being the best does not mean it has to be more creative. Creativity is all about trying out new things and the trilogy was full of it.

I never said the trilogy was a perfect musical record. But if you think it sucked as a whole just because of a few songs, I recommend you to lookout for an orthopedist before I reduce your bone count to 203, one bone for each element of the trilogy.

1. Poor promotion, even before Billie's rehab

2. Billie's rehab.

4. The negativity around it just because people thought releasing 3 album worth of songs would make the record suck.

1) New stuff on Nimrod: Strings, acoustic tracks, ska, hardcore punk, surf punk, instrumental songs, new song structures.

New stuff on the Trilogy: Um. They wrote a song in 3/4? And they attempted a ripoff of The Clash. Oh yeah, and a dire attempt at rap.

Wonderful.

2) Tom covered 21stCB better than I ever could so that's fine.

3) I'd say there's about 10 really good songs on the Trilogy. Maybe 15 with some reworking. Hardly a majority. And of those 10 good songs, only about 5 could be considered anything near amazing.

4) As I've clearly stated plenty of times, it's not because a few of the songs are crap, it's because most of them are crap. And resorting to threats of violence is a really great way to undermine yourself, well done.

5) The only one of those that could actually have affected the Trilogy is Billie's rehab. The promotion was pretty adequate in my opinion. As for people being negative about 3 albums of stuff coming out, that's a crock of shit. I was as excited as anyone about new GD, and got swept away on the "new music from my favourite band" wave of emotion. It was only a couple of months later that I began to really realise just how bad so much of it is.

Also you said somewhere that it was well recieved by critics. Pretty much everywhere gave it 2/3 stars, which is basically the kiss of death of music reviews. It's not good enough for people to run out and buy, and not bad enough for people to be interested in what all the fuss is about.

Were they THAT major though? Most of the songs have good bones and some songs are 1 or 2 lines away from pretty good. Dos doesn't count because aside from Lazy bones, Amy and Ashley those songs should have been foxboro hot tubs.

When it comes to Green Day, lyrics are always a big deal. It's the thing Billie is best at, and they're a big part of what makes a band good when they tend to rely on repetitive strong structures and four chords. As for Dos/Foxboro, I don't know why people insist that Dos should have been a Foxboro album. It would have sounded exactly the same, what does it matter whose name is on it?

While AI might not be creative musically, I'd argue that in other aspects it was very creative. The lyrics are a huge part of why I believe that. I mean Holiday is so layered with vitriol and ambiguity all bundled up in to this almost poetic violence. It is probably the most creative lyric they have. Compare that to something like JAR (has great lyrics) which is far more straightforward. Jesus of Suburbia is another example. Lyrically, it is far and away one their most creative pieces. Fitting a narrative of that size in to one song without dragging it on, while simultaneously spitting out instant classic lines is impressive.

Besides the lyrics, I think choosing to write a punk-opera that tells of this troubled protagonist and his life, and manages to also be a huge social commentary is creative.

And then there's the song Homecoming, which is just a clusterfuck of creativity.

You could argue that the Trilogy is, in terms of trying something new, their most creative album since Warning. That doesn't make it good though.

When I say Dos should have been a tubbies album I mean it should have been done and had the sound of the tubbies, it would have been better because the tubbies have less of a standard to hold up really

When I say Dos should have been a tubbies album I mean it should have been done and had the sound of the tubbies, it would have been better because the tubbies have less of a standard to hold up really

That doesn't change the album though... just plasters a different name on the cover, which I don't really see the point of, especially if the guys want to stand behind it and present it as theirs.

While AI might not be creative musically, I'd argue that in other aspects it was very creative. The lyrics are a huge part of why I believe that. I mean Holiday is so layered with vitriol and ambiguity all bundled up in to this almost poetic violence. It is probably the most creative lyric they have. Compare that to something like JAR (has great lyrics) which is far more straightforward. Jesus of Suburbia is another example. Lyrically, it is far and away one their most creative pieces. Fitting a narrative of that size in to one song without dragging it on, while simultaneously spitting out instant classic lines is impressive.

Besides the lyrics, I think choosing to write a punk-opera that tells of this troubled protagonist and his life, and manages to also be a huge social commentary is creative.

And then there's the song Homecoming, which is just a clusterfuck of creativity.

A thematically crisp and relatable album, with transcendent lyrics is one thing, but musically, it's just a rebranded product. Production was great, but I didn't see much exploration from the fundamental formulas.

When it comes to Green Day, lyrics are always a big deal. It's the thing Billie is best at, and they're a big part of what makes a band good when they tend to rely on repetitive strong structures and four chords. As for Dos/Foxboro, I don't know why people insist that Dos should have been a Foxboro album. It would have sounded exactly the same, what does it matter whose name is on it?

Apart from Lazy Bones, I feel like Dos took the FBHT motif and made it more juvenile. I admit that Fuck Time was written for the Hot Tubs, but that at least seemed a bit satirical.

Lyrically, their best songs are Peacemaker and Hitchin' A Ride. The wordplay in the second verse of the later...good lord, that's clever!

Lyrically, their best songs are Peacemaker and Hitchin' A Ride. The wordplay in the second verse of the later...good lord, that's clever!

Cold turkey's getting stale, tonight I'm eating crow is probably one of the best lines Billie has ever written.

Walking Contradiction, Platypus, and Deadbeat Holiday

Apart from Lazy Bones, I feel like Dos took the FBHT motif and made it more juvenile. I admit that Fuck Time was written for the Hot Tubs, but that at least seemed a bit satirical.

Really? I think the lyrics on Dos go much darker, and explore more serious, personal and adult themes than SD&R. Both albums have their frivolous lyrics of course but I think Dos is deeper at its deepest points than SD&R is at its deepest points. SD&R is more of a fun party album (with some darker stuff thrown in) while Dos is more of a dark side of the party, mid life crisis album, which I'd say is less juvenile.

The difference is, Dos explores those themes in a much more juvenile and inelegant manner than SD&R.

I'd agree it's less elegant, but then I'd say having a mid life crisis isn't a particularly elegant thing and that's what's reflected in the crassness of some of the lyrics.

Thanks for letting us know about your pee fetish.

Lol, or wanking fetish (can't help but think the chorus is about anything but that when I listen to it!)

DON'T EVEN EXPLAIN THIS.

My beef with this theory is that Billie is far, far too good of a lyricist to have to resort to writing shitty lyrics in order to get the idea of a shitty time of life across to the listener.

I don't think they're shitty though :P. But that's a matter of opinion.

Thanks for letting us know about your pee fetish.

Yes, glad you caught on to that.

I agree. I think it's clever and adorable.

I know it's not that amazing but "I'm a mess and you're a work of art" gripped me

Really? I think the lyrics on Dos go much darker, and explore more serious, personal and adult themes than SD&R. Both albums have their frivolous lyrics of course but I think Dos is deeper at its deepest points than SD&R is at its deepest points. SD&R is more of a fun party album (with some darker stuff thrown in) while Dos is more of a dark side of the party, mid life crisis album, which I'd say is less juvenile.

Dark Side of Night and 27th Ave. Shuffle beg to differ

Yes, glad you caught on to that.

I know it's not that amazing but "I'm a mess and you're a work of art" gripped me

I love that! And I love the chorus too even though it makes me think "I fell for you" is a euphemism for masturbating :P

Dark Side of Night and 27th Ave. Shuffle beg to differ

Those are wonderfully deep and dark! I love that aspect of both albums. But I think of the two Dos goes even deeper and darker, has a much darker feel to it when I listen to it especially with Amy at the end.

Stop Drop and Roll is darker than DOS and presents its themes in a much more metaphorical, humorous way. This makes SD&R a much better album.

Stop Drop and Roll is darker than DOS and presents its themes in a much more metaphorical, humorous way. This makes SD&R a much better album.

Just when I think we'll never ever agree on something, you manage to surprise me. :P

That doesn't change the album though... just plasters a different name on the cover, which I don't really see the point of, especially if the guys want to stand behind it and present it as theirs.

But I'm not saying keep the songs the same. Change them to be done and produced in the Foxboro Hot Tubs fashion and have the band release it (either before or after Uno and Tre) as the Hot Tubs.

But I'm not saying keep the songs the same. Change them to be done and produced in the Foxboro Hot Tubs fashion and have the band release it (either before or after Uno and Tre) as the Hot Tubs.

And ruin the Foxboro Hot Tubs?! Never!!!

I'd agree it's less elegant, but then I'd say having a mid life crisis isn't a particularly elegant thing and that's what's reflected in the crassness of some of the lyrics.

I concur, I like looking at the trilogy as a piece of art not just for the music but for what it really shows about Billie's state of mind. Its like the art of the mid life crisis and the faults the album has almost strengthens the crisis theme

DON'T EVEN EXPLAIN THIS.

My beef with this theory is that Billie is far, far too good of a lyricist to have to resort to writing shitty lyrics in order to get the idea of a shitty time of life across to the listener.

I don't think Hermoine meant it as he did it on purpose and I don't think he did I think he was just fucked up

Archived