Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

Is that unpopular? That's easily one of their best songs.

THANK YOU. (and no not really unpopular but people either really love it or really hate it.)

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief.

Unpopular opinion: I LOVE Restless Heart Syndrome. The lyrics are heart wrenching and the way it ties into Know Your Enemy gives me chills every time I hear it. Because Know Your Enemy begins with rallying against other people, knowing that "they" are the enemy. So for Restless Heart Syndrome to turn that around and say "I am my own worst enemy - know your enemy" UGH I just got chills even typing it out. It's just a brilliant piece of writing.

His voice in that song gives me chills.

i mean that ending when the guitars just pound how can you not get chills

I've posted this before, but here's what I wrote in a review for 21CB about Restless Heart Syndrome. Sums up my feelings pretty well.

Then there’s Restless Heart Syndrome. Unquestionably the most powerful song on the album, it begins as a mid-tempo piano ballad with a string section, with lyrics tackling the mental breakdown of Christian - "So what ails you / Is what impales you / I feel like I’ve been crucified / To be satisfied." The song gradually builds with layer upon layer of arpeggiated guitar, which, combined with Armstrong’s haunting vocals, a descending bassline and glissando interjections from the strings creates an unfathomable amount of tension. The band get under the listener’s skin for almost three minutes, meandering through countless false releases which create a physical itch. The song finally bursts at the seams as the music stops dead and Armstrong’s processed voice darkly instructs the listener to "Know your enemy," and a rocket fuelled wah-guitar solo with enough power to blow the roof off the White House hits us full in the face, before a syncopated coda containing no fewer than four harmonised guitar parts bring the song to a pounding close.

I've posted this before, but here's what I wrote in a review for 21CB about Restless Heart Syndrome. Sums up my feelings pretty well.

Then there’s Restless Heart Syndrome. Unquestionably the most powerful song on the album, it begins as a mid-tempo piano ballad with a string section, with lyrics tackling the mental breakdown of Christian - "So what ails you / Is what impales you / I feel like I’ve been crucified / To be satisfied." The song gradually builds with layer upon layer of arpeggiated guitar, which, combined with Armstrong’s haunting vocals, a descending bassline and glissando interjections from the strings creates an unfathomable amount of tension. The band get under the listener’s skin for almost three minutes, meandering through countless false releases which create a physical itch. The song finally bursts at the seams as the music stops dead and Armstrong’s processed voice darkly instructs the listener to "Know your enemy," and a rocket fuelled wah-guitar solo with enough power to blow the roof off the White House hits us full in the face, before a syncopated coda containing no fewer than four harmonised guitar parts bring the song to a pounding close.

And this is where Butch Vig seems awesome

I am trying hard to think of an unpopular opinion so we have something to tallk about in the GD world.

I even think billie said it was a great song but just didn't want to ever sing - cut too close to home.

Same deal with Lazy Bones, I imagine. Has he ever sung 27th Ave. Shuffle?

Same deal with Lazy Bones, I imagine. Has he ever sung 27th Ave. Shuffle?

He's sung it with the Tubbies 16 times since 2008:

He's sung it with the Tubbies 16 times since 2008:

Aw this makes me sad cause i know I will never get a chance to see the tubbies play. sorry i know wrong thread :(

Aw this makes me sad cause i know I will never get a chance to see the tubbies play. sorry i know wrong thread :(

Move to the bay area and hope for another one in a million club show

Move to the bay area and hope for another one in a million club show

Well I will need a green card since I live in Australia :D

The bridges/finales of GD's songs are really fantastic. Especially on 21cb. Ones that immediately stick out like Restless Heart Syndrome, 21 Guns (live), Viva La Gloria?, the Static Age* and 21cb (song). They build up so wonderfully and that wall of sound with the guitars is just fantastic for creating explosive finishes.

*edit

I experience an irrational amount of hatred toward that Lady Cobra tattoo on Tre's arm. Is that unpopular?

The bridges/finales of GD's songs are really fantastic. Especially on 21cb. Ones that immediately stick out like Restless Heart Syndrome, 21 Guns (live), Viva La Gloria?, and 21cb (song). They build up so wonderfully and that wall of sound with the guitars is just fantastic for creating explosive finishes.

I love The Static Age and Stay The Night for that reason.

I love The Static Age and Stay The Night for that reason.

God damn Static Age belongs in my post.

What's the latest way that a man can die?

Screaming hallelujah?

Singing out "the dawn's early light"

absolutely love this part.

God damn Static Age belongs in my post.

What's the latest way that a man can die?

Screaming hallelujah?

Singing out "the dawn's early light"

absolutely love this part.

That's one of the most brilliant bits of Green Day lyrics, overall. That entire bridge, that is.

I see a new member who probably isn't used to getting verbally mauled by Irish smart mouths.

All if Ceadogs post will now be read in a heavy irish accent in my head

Castaway is the catchiest song they have EVER done.

Lyrics from heaven sent directly to my brain...

I havent read enough of this thread to know if amy is a liked song or not? personally i really do.

Ah yes, the emotional rollercoaster that is one drug addict crying about another dying because he really wants to be her friend. Complete with the most awkward sounding bridge ever composed.

Delightful tune.

General (unpopular) consensus is that Amy kind of sucks. Personally, I do like the lyrics (Ceadagh, don't kill me!) but the vocals/guitar aspect of it is uninventive and boring.

fair enough, it did have some growing on me to do but eventually i came to enjoy it. (without forcing myself to) lol

Not the hugest fan of Amy on its own just because I'm not hugely into acoustic songs, but I like the lyrics and the charmingly imperfect way Billie sings them (:P), and I think it's a brilliant end to Dos. Crashing back to reality with that song after the party adds a much darker edge to the whole thing.

1) "Is everyone on this thread so submerged in their own incompetence here?" Way to make friends and influence people.

2) "It's not lousy on their part, it's lousy on ours." I'm sorry, that's bullshit. The Trilogy is objectively far weaker lyrically than other GD albums. It's not that I'm not trying to like and connect to "The Forgotten", it's that it's made of shitty, vague cliches that don't mean a damn thing. An artist is capable of failure, and in this case Green Day failed, not us the listeners.

3) "Don't criticize what you can't understand." Ooh, forgive me, wise one. I understand just fine. I understand that I hate the Trilogy because the lyrics are often, quite frankly, abysmal compared to GD's previous standard. I don't care how much they connect to what was going on in the band's lives when they wrote the songs, they're juvenile and cliched and uninspired. It's not that I'm lyrically illiterate or am unaware of what was going on in the band's lives when they wrote it.

In short, don't be so condescending, and welcome to the forum.

You thinking something is worse than something else doesn't make it objectively worse than something else. If you're gonna call someone out for being condescending it might not be the best idea to state your subjective opinion as objective fact while you're doing it :P. It works both ways, whether it's a positive or negative opinion of an album it's still just an opinion.

You thinking something is worse than something else doesn't make it objectively worse than something else. If you're gonna call someone out for being condescending it might not be the best idea to state your subjective opinion as objective fact while you're doing it :P. It works both ways, whether it's a positive or negative opinion of an album it's still just an opinion.

Oh, damn, that is brainfood... :wacko:

Archived