Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular, indeed. Considering sending an army of raving fangirls to your house to tear you to bits, a fitting end for one who dares to say what you just said.

In anticipation of this, I have my speakers blaring Biffy Clyro, a well known cure for rabid Green Day fangirling.

Unpopular Opinion: I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Green Day don't break up / Billie Joe doesn't go solo within 5 years.

Are you being serious or just trying to troll? (Stupid question. I know.)

Someone's finally lost the plot entirely...

It's not even a case of wishful thinking or denial or whatever. Just... How could you actually think they're gonna split up, like, fundamentally?

Unpopular, indeed. Considering sending an army of raving fangirls to your house to tear you to bits, a fitting end for one who dares to say what you just said.

Someone has to analyze the situation objectively. :P

It's not even a case of wishful thinking or denial or whatever. Just... How could you actually think they're gonna split up, like, fundamentally?

Fundamentally? Well Green Day has increasingly been becoming Billie Joe's baby, I don't think even the most insane of fans can deny that. I can see Mike sticking around if Billie continues on his ego trip, but Tré? Not so much. I don't think him and Billie have anything near the same connection that Mike and BJ have, and, at this stage, there's not much left for him but showing up for some gigs and collecting his royalty cheques. He's not bringing anything to Green Day's sound anymore that countless 14 year olds on Youtube haven't mastered with a few months of drum lessons, so what's in it for him?

Plus stuff I've mentioned before, with Billie perhaps not feeling the same love for the rock & roll life now that he's sober, might lead him to calling time on his participation in Green Day.

Biffy is incredibly overrated

Pretty sure a band that's barely selling out clubs in the US can't be overrated :P

Billie clearly isn't feeling it on stage anymore. They've fallen into a rut and can't come up with anything new anymore without breaking out of their four-chord format, which they won't do. I'm sure Mike and Tre are tired of playing second fiddle to Billie when he's holding them back and basically turning the band into "Billie Joe Armstrong and Some Backup Musicians". And rehab is obviously a huge factor.

EDIT: Dammit, Ceadog, beat me to it.

Fundamentally? Well Green Day has increasingly been becoming Billie Joe's baby, I don't think even the most insane of fans can deny that. I can see Mike sticking around if Billie continues on his ego trip, but Tré? Not so much. I don't think him and Billie have anything near the same connection that Mike and BJ have, and, at this stage, there's not much left for him but showing up for some gigs and collecting his royalty cheques. He's not bringing anything to Green Day's sound anymore that countless 14 year olds on Youtube haven't mastered with a few months of drum lessons, so what's in it for him?

Plus stuff I've mentioned before, with Billie perhaps not feeling the same love for the rock & roll life now that he's sober, might lead him to calling time on his participation in Green Day.

Billie clearly isn't feeling it on stage anymore. They've fallen into a rut and can't come up with anything new anymore without breaking out of their four-chord format, which they won't do. I'm sure Mike and Tre are tired of playing second fiddle to Billie when he's holding them back and basically turning the band into "Billie Joe Armstrong and Some Backup Musicians". And rehab is obviously a huge factor.

But... most of these points are assumptions. I see no evidence that Tre isn't still loving what he's doing. We might not be so impressed with their recent output, but that doesn't mean they're not loving it. They're as good live as they've always been, minus Billie making more mistakes on stage than normal, but I don't think we can read too much into that. Besides, Mike and Tre did more on the Trilogy than they did on AI or 21CB. I don't see how Billie is holding them back, they kind of need him as a bandleader, and there's nothing to prove Billie is rejecting any of their songwriting contributions. I really have no idea what all this is about. And the live shows are the same as always, just with a couple of newer songs thrown in. I see no evidence for anything either of you are saying, and you know for a fact I'm not a crazy fanboy and can see things realistically.

But... most of these points are assumptions. I see no evidence that Tre isn't still loving what he's doing. We might not be so impressed with their recent output, but that doesn't mean they're not loving it. They're as good live as they've always been, minus Billie making more mistakes on stage than normal, but I don't think we can read too much into that. Besides, Mike and Tre did more on the Trilogy than they did on AI or 21CB. I don't see how Billie is holding them back, they kind of need him as a bandleader, and there's nothing to prove Billie is rejecting any of their songwriting contributions. I really have no idea what all this is about. And the live shows are the same as always, just with a couple of newer songs thrown in. I see no evidence for anything either of you are saying, and you know for a fact I'm not a crazy fanboy and can see things realistically.

I see no evidence for most of what you're saying either Mr. Assumptions ;)

How he's not holding them back? Mike's been playing root notes for the last decade. Even in the Trilogy, his bass solos are what, two notes? And we know for a fact he can do way more than that. Same for Tre—while he's not one of the best drummers in the world by any means, we know for damn sure he can do better than what he did on the Trilogy (Ceadog's brother aside :P). Your statement that they both need Billie as a leader is an assumption just like the ones you said we made. And as for rejecting their songwriting contributions, let's face it—only one song written solely by Mike has ever made it onto an album, when we know he's capable of great work. I have a hard time believing he's written nothing since "Nobody Likes You". As for the live shows—watch Reading. Watch Rock am Ring. Billie looks bored and listless. He is not happy, at least as far as I can tell.

How can you know he´s sober...?

How can you know he´s sober...?

If he's not sober he'll just fall back into the same processes that resulted in the Trilogy and iHeart. Addicts are sadly very predictable.

I see no evidence for most of what you're saying either Mr. Assumptions ;)

That's exactly the point, we don't know either way.

How he's not holding them back? Mike's been playing root notes for the last decade. Even in the Trilogy, his bass solos are what, two notes? And we know for a fact he can do way more than that. Same for Tre—while he's not one of the best drummers in the world by any means, we know for damn sure he can do better than what he did on the Trilogy (Ceadog's brother aside :P). Your statement that they both need Billie as a leader is an assumption just like the ones you said we made. And as for rejecting their songwriting contributions, let's face it—only one song written solely by Mike has ever made it onto an album, when we know he's capable of great work. I have a hard time believing he's written nothing since "Nobody Likes You". As for the live shows—watch Reading. Watch Rock am Ring. Billie looks bored and listless. He is not happy, at least as far as I can tell.

If Mike and Tre wanted to play more complex parts I'm sure they could. Mike's proved time and time again that he can throw some crazy basslines into any of Billie's songs, but on the opposite end of the spectrum there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the bass as a supporting instrument, since that's exactly what it is. Tre has said himself in recent years, "play the song, not the instrument," and I think it's a very mature and wise approach, musicianship wise. My statement about Billie being a bandleader is just a fact. They wouldn't be Green Day without Billie's direction to some extent, since it's been primarily his vision since the beginning. It makes perfect sense since he's the primary songwriter. Not every band can or should be like Queen or The Beatles, with every band member writing loads of songs. Mike has a creative outlet with The Frustrators, and the songs he's written outside of Green Day wouldn't necessarily suit Green Day. I don't know about you, but I have no desire to hear an album that sounds like Governator. Maybe he doesn't really want to write many songs, and it's not necessary for him to do so when he's in a band with fucking Billie Joe Armstrong. Most bands have a primary songwriter with the rest of the members filling out the arrangements, as the case has been for Green Day for a long time. I don't get why it's suddenly a problem. As for Reading, I simply disagree. I can't comment on Rock am Ring as I haven't seen it, but Billie looks no more bored than he did during the Nimrod/Warning era at Reading.

tumblr_mbdz86urH41r1yyhoo1_500.gif

You don't know that, he'd probably find it funny and take it in the spirit it was intended ;)

So how do you know he´s sober? Addiction doesn´t necessarily mean that he has to go nuts again like in IHeart. In the end - we don´t know anything. But staying sober in this business, that´s really something.

For some reason Ceadog wants to see Green Day (especially Billie) crash and burn.

That's exactly the point, we don't know either way.

If Mike and Tre wanted to play more complex parts I'm sure they could. Mike's proved time and time again that he can throw some crazy basslines into any of Billie's songs, but on the opposite end of the spectrum there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the bass as a supporting instrument, since that's exactly what it is. Tre has said himself in recent years, "play the song, not the instrument," and I think it's a very mature and wise approach, musicianship wise. My statement about Billie being a bandleader is just a fact. They wouldn't be Green Day without Billie's direction to some extent, since it's been primarily his vision since the beginning. It makes perfect sense since he's the primary songwriter. Not every band can or should be like Queen or The Beatles, with every band member writing loads of songs. Mike has a creative outlet with The Frustrators, and the songs he's written outside of Green Day wouldn't necessarily suit Green Day. I don't know about you, but I have no desire to hear an album that sounds like Governator. Maybe he doesn't really want to write many songs, and it's not necessary for him to do so when he's in a band with fucking Billie Joe Armstrong. Most bands have a primary songwriter with the rest of the members filling out the arrangements, as the case has been for Green Day for a long time. I don't get why it's suddenly a problem. As for Reading, I simply disagree. I can't comment on Rock am Ring as I haven't seen it, but Billie looks no more bored than he did during the Nimrod/Warning era at Reading.

"Play the song not the instrument" sounds like a cop out from someone who's happy taking orders from someone else for $$$ :P

The Governator point is bullshit, since you picked the one terrible song Mike has been part of, haha.

And if Green Day can't experiment with Mike and Tré on what's meant to be a fun project for them, when can they? Either Billie Joe shut them out, or they didn't care enough.

For some reason Ceadog wants to see Green Day (especially Billie) crash and burn.

I'd like to see Ceadog crash and burn.

"Play the song not the instrument" sounds like a cop out from someone who's happy taking orders from someone else for $$$ :P

The Governator point is bullshit, since you picked the one terrible song Mike has been part of, haha.

And if Green Day can't experiment with Mike and Tré on what's meant to be a fun project for them, when can they? Either Billie Joe shut them out, or they didn't care enough.

I think it's great advice, his attitude of "I was never allowed cymbals when I was learning drums so now I've got them I'll use them all the time whether it's appropriate or not" in the early days was bullshit and childish.

You say that, but it's not like there are many to choose from. Nobody Likes You is hardly a work of genius. Is Governator not the only song he's been fully responsible for?

Counterpoint: Nightlife. Green Day can experiment whenever they want. Why is it so unreasonable to think they were just happy with what they were doing, whether you like the output or not?

Archived