Unpopular Green Day Opinions

Kayfabe

I had to listen so fucking hard just to hear that. How can that bother anyone that much :P

Starting to really like Peacekeeper, Billie's vocal runs are fantastic. I still think 21CB is their second best album. Has some very weak points (KYE, See the Light, Christian's Inferno, LOTAG) but songs like 21cb, viva la gloria!, murder city, American Eulogy, and others are so strong to me that they outweigh the low. The songs kick fuckin ass live too. One of their only albums that I could say top to bottom I would probably want to hear a live version before the studio (more a credit to how well they did that tour, then a insult to the studio version)

Peacemaker is absolute genius. Here's what I wrote about it in a review at the time: As the album progresses, Green Day’s musical diversity really shines through, with Peacemaker being particularly outstanding. On the face of it, it’s a bog standard punk song that just happens to be driven by an acoustic guitar, but when you stop and really listen to it, the crafting involved is masterful. An obvious Spanish flair acts as the backbone to this song which, when combined with Mike Dirnt’s walking bassline and Tre Cool’s rock solid drumming, provides the perfect bed for Armstrong’s emotive and soaring vocals. Throw some well harmonised backing vocals into the mix, along with a twisting yet smooth lead guitar part based around the natural minor scale, and the result can only be described as an unlikely yet incredible combination of The Offspring, Gogol Bordello, The Beatles and a James Bond theme tune. Staggering.

So yeah. I quite like it.

I'd be really interested in a live version of the album too. The songs they do play live from it are vastly superior to the album versions, especially Know Your Enemy.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of 21CB, if any song should be brought back to the regular setlist from that album (or any album for that matter) it needs to be ¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl). Hands down.

I had to listen so fucking hard just to hear that. How can that bother anyone that much :P

Because this is GDC

I feel like I always heard something there, but I never realized what it was until it was very clear in the musical version.

I'll always like LOTAG. It should have been a hit on Top 40 radio.

I feel like I always heard something there, but I never realized what it was until it was very clear in the musical version.

There was always something that felt restrained in that song.

There was always something that felt restrained in that song.

I agree. Billie's definitely holding back on the vocals, and the guitars are so over compressed the expression is totally crushed out of them. The live version from Last Night On Earth is a lot better in that respect, it sounds like they're really going for it for the most part.

On the topic of 21CB, if any song should be brought back to the regular setlist from that album (or any album for that matter) it needs to be ¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl). Hands down.

I'd rather have Before the Lobotomy, 21CB, or Murder City (no knock on Little Girl :) )

I understand that 99 Revs has required the removal of 21CB, but the middle section is sooo fun to jump around to.

Peacemaker is absolute genius. Here's what I wrote about it in a review at the time: As the album progresses, Green Day’s musical diversity really shines through, with Peacemaker being particularly outstanding. On the face of it, it’s a bog standard punk song that just happens to be driven by an acoustic guitar, but when you stop and really listen to it, the crafting involved is masterful. An obvious Spanish flair acts as the backbone to this song which, when combined with Mike Dirnt’s walking bassline and Tre Cool’s rock solid drumming, provides the perfect bed for Armstrong’s emotive and soaring vocals. Throw some well harmonised backing vocals into the mix, along with a twisting yet smooth lead guitar part based around the natural minor scale, and the result can only be described as an unlikely yet incredible combination of The Offspring, Gogol Bordello, The Beatles and a James Bond theme tune. Staggering.

So yeah. I quite like it.

I'd be really interested in a live version of the album too. The songs they do play live from it are vastly superior to the album versions, especially Know Your Enemy.

That's a damn good review. Yeah the diversity of the music as you venture deeper in to the album is really what makes it. Sure it isn't overly complex but it certainly is a step outside GD's comfort zone. I think both Viva La Glorias are fantastic live, Last Night On Earth was too (surprisingly sharp vocal from Billie), 21 Guns is miles better live, etc. Peacemaker would be interesting to see live. I can easily see them rushing through the song and not allowing for the vocal expression to shine through (See: Church On Sunday). Or I can see it shining like Viva La Gloria? really did. Speaking of that Viva La Gloria? performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYUOv469vQ Viva La Gloria?

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkySGM7gysg She circa 1994.

Am I the only one who can't believe its the same fuckin guys? Incredible evolution

definitely both, so why is everyone getting so uptight? xD see what i did there xD

No thanks, I just wanna see the light.

That's a damn good review. Yeah the diversity of the music as you venture deeper in to the album is really what makes it. Sure it isn't overly complex but it certainly is a step outside GD's comfort zone. I think both Viva La Glorias are fantastic live, Last Night On Earth was too (surprisingly sharp vocal from Billie), 21 Guns is miles better live, etc. Peacemaker would be interesting to see live. I can easily see them rushing through the song and not allowing for the vocal expression to shine through (See: Church On Sunday). Or I can see it shining like Viva La Gloria? really did. Speaking of that Viva La Gloria? performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSYUOv469vQ Viva La Gloria?

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkySGM7gysg She circa 1994.

Am I the only one who can't believe its the same fuckin guys? Incredible evolution

Yeah, people go on about how they're not great because they're simple, but that's really not the case. Sure it might be simple in terms of chords and melodies, but the range of influences that are obvious from a song like Peacemaker, and how they glue them all together, is incredible. In fact I'm gonna stop typing now because I agree 10000% with your entire post. Especially the bit about Last Night On Earth, that's clearly his best vocal performance ever.

Really? I have never heard that. Ever.

Don't worry, you won't the only one. Which is why I don't understand how it actually bothered people. To me it's so subtle, it's genius.

For some reason my sister and I always hear it playing on the radio when we're shopping at Kohl's in Sandusky. :lol:

Who sings it is a bit moot. It's still a horrific blemish on a great song :P

I would have rather had them yelling "don't wanna be an american idiot" for like 10 lines instead of rock and roll girlfriend

Yeah, people go on about how they're not great because they're simple, but that's really not the case. Sure it might be simple in terms of chords and melodies, but the range of influences that are obvious from a song like Peacemaker, and how they glue them all together, is incredible. In fact I'm gonna stop typing now because I agree 10000% with your entire post. Especially the bit about Last Night On Earth, that's clearly his best vocal performance ever.

very easily his best vocal. So consistent in his higher registers, and in the runs. It sounds wonderful.

very easily his best vocal. So consistent in his higher registers, and in the runs. It sounds wonderful.

This version really impresses me because of the obvious lack of studio trickery. He's so good I can't even...

They recently played Peacemaker live right?

Yeah, at the Dreamforce conference thingy last month. No recording of it has turned up though :(

Never really got into peacemaker for some reason. Probably should, though.

I would have rather had them yelling "don't wanna be an american idiot" for like 10 lines instead of rock and roll girlfriend

And remove the only lighthearted part of AI? No thanks.

And remove the only lighthearted part of AI? No thanks.

I'd say St Jimmy is pretty light hearted. "That's my name and don't wear it out" has an amusing child like quality to it. Obviously it takes on a bit of a different tone live when mixed with Billie's aggression.

I'd say St Jimmy is pretty light hearted. "That's my name and don't wear it out" has an amusing child like quality to it. Obviously it takes on a bit of a different tone live when mixed with Billie's aggression.

Now you're just being persnickety :P

It's pernickety, actually :tired:

It's persnickety in America, which is silly. But there we go, undeniable evidence that Ceadog's just trying to be one of the cool kids :P

Archived