How much do your parents know?

Jean

Umm...well I'm a parent and I know a lot about Green Day haha.

I would never care about what my son listens to as long as he knows the difference between reality and expressing your feelings. It's the same way with movies, it's the same way with video games.

I think that there's an age appropriate thing I have to keep in mind...I don't let my 6 year old son play "Call of Duty" or "Halo" nor do I let him watch "Saw" or "Nightmare on Elm Street". I don't think Green Day promotes out and out violence in a serious way, but sometimes the lyrics go so fast, he doesn't understand what they say or mean anyway.

When I was younger my parents kind of knew what I was listening to, but after my mom read my book about all my adventures involving Green Day she kept saying, "I had no idea you had done all that stuff!!", so I guess there was a certain aspect of privacy I kept from my mom.

I really just hope that my son doesn't do HALF the stupid stuff that I did because I was pretty god damn lucky I didn't die or lose a limb....

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holiday is nothing. I haven't shown my parents the Oh Love video and my mom actually likes that song so I'm surprised she hasn't asked me to put the video on for her.

I showed my mother the video on Playboy, actually. It was quite funny, she kept saying "How do their wives feel about this??"

Also side note, the unedited version was hella better than the other two versions.

When I first got AI from my father he said I should make a copy of the CD with just the songs I liked and leave off the songs with swearing. But I told him I liked ALL the songs so that never happened. I used to listen to AI as I fell asleep and my mom walked into my room right when Billie said "subliminal mindfuck America" and said I couldn't listen to that song anymore, basically. I cried. But now she is totally cool with them! Yay :D

Pfft. Just like as if.

Really, though, they've heard a bunch of songs (carefully picked) and know how much [?] I like them. I think my mom has watched BIAB.

My parents know nothing, they don't even care; neither my brother and sisters.

My mom still thinks they're from England... :mellow:

Edit: Although what they do know is how much I love them. And that they shouldn't mess with me when they talk about Green Day.

Holiday is nothing. I haven't shown my parents the Oh Love video and my mom actually likes that song so I'm surprised she hasn't asked me to put the video on for her.

I know. My father would have made a heart attack if I had seen the Oh love video :lol: so yeah Holiday is ok compared to Oh love but still, my father is kind of prude, especially with me.

Well, everytime my family listen to or watch something on TV related to Green Day they tell me: HEY!!! It's GREEN DAY!! xD

They know that I'm a big fan and they don't have any problem with that.

My Dad doesn't have any idea of what kind of music Green Day play. However he picked me up to go to the stadium, he left me there because I didn't know how to arrive there (Yes, we live in different cities). My mom was very tolerant when I started to listen to Green Day in 2000 (I was 15). Also, in 2010 when it was announced GD will come to Chile my mom gave me as a present a ticket to go to that concert. That was my gift for finishing my university career. I felt like a little child on christmas receiving a new toy at that moment, hillarious!! xD

Green Day grew on my family because of my obsession :D

They know a lot of things about them because of me, especially current news. You can say we're sort of a Green Day family now lol

My parents are starting to get sick of my obsession after 8 years, but ehh. Oh well. I'll always be a fan.

They know about Billie's rehab and him pulling his pants down on stage and they don't care. But they don't know about him humping the stage or the Hitchin' a Ride part in BIAB. I'll keep those things to myself..

They don't mind me liking Green Day, even though I talk about them all the time. I drew my older brother away actually.. He used to be a fan.

Anyways, My parents don't know about the inappropiate things they do, but I keep it that way.

That's it. Lol.

Mine have banned me from listening to the band and deleted all their music from my computer. As soon as I leave for college in a few months, that'll change.

all I know is that they don't know nothin'....

haha kidding.

I have been a GD fan for so long, and they have been subjected to so much GD over the years that my mom and dad both can easily pick out Billie Joe's voice from a song, and if there is anything about Green Day in the newspaper (album review, anything) she cuts it out and saves it for me :lol:

Mine have banned me from listening to the band and deleted all their music from my computer. As soon as I leave for college in a few months, that'll change.

Damn... That sucks.

My parents know about my gd addiction, and my mum is totally supportive! And I love it. She keeps telling me whenever she hears a song on the radio or sth like that.
Haha, I find quite funny how she asked me the other day how is Billie now (she was thinking about he's rehab), and it felt like she asked for some friend of mine or neighbour :lol:

All of my family knows I love Green Day and they support it a lot! I remember when I was 14 and I got on stage with Billie, everybody in my family wanted to see the video haha. Most of my close friends also love Green Day, but I have had some problems with people at school making fun of me for it. But I never really gave a fuck when it came to that. My mom likes Green Day a lot too :)

my parents know everything. my mom went with me to my first two concerts, and both my parents were going to roadtrip with me to Portland for the tour. they know i want to go to europe, and they know i was doing 3 shows for this tour.

it's not like i want/can hide it from them anyway tbh.

I should start a new thread entitled: How much do your kids know?

Yeah ! Time for mums and dads to take over this thread. :D Writes him who has given his daughter green hair spray. :happy:

Yes! Writes someone who has taken their 11 year old son to see American Idiot the musical (in Chicago last February). The time of our lives!

I also have four tickets just waiting for USA concert dates. Of course I'm taking my 18 year old daughter!

I sometimes get shit from my kids about being a Green Day fan.

Page Owned! :toocool:

My mother walks around singing Kill the DJ when she's stressed. She's heard most albums, and she's quasi-supportive of my fangirlish grief over Billie's rehab. She's taking me and my friends to a concert when we get US tour dates.

My dad has heard breakdown and likes it, and would probably get along really well with Billie ebcause they have the same attitudes toward teh government. He finds "I'M NOT F**ING JUSTIN BIEBER YOU MOTHER F***CKERS" hilarious.

...I have weird parents.

My dad absolutely doesn't care about music...

My mom knows almost everything...I told her even that Billie took off his pants on stage. She thinks he's an idiot because of repeating y'know so much.

She suspects me of being fangirl, but I'm not :D I'm trying to force her to go with me to see them this year and I pray to god they aren't going to do something awkward...

If there is one thing I wouldn't tell my parents about it's Tré's unicycle accident, masturbation on stage or something like that :)

I got really into Green Day when I was still so young I could barely speak English. Green Day inspired me to study harder so that I could understand their interviews and lyrics and so on. I remember telling my mom about translating their songs and developing my English skills, because I was so excited to understand more. She asked me if Green Day's songs were suitable for a little girl... I was like uhhhhh yes. She was all like allllrighty then, good for you.

Later on my mom heard Basket Case (with lyrics on screen) on some TV show. She was shocked. :lol:

Me too! I started learning English just because of Green Day few years ago. My teacher is sometimes surprised of some words I know :D

Btw: Basket Case's lyrics are IMHO quite alright, besides the whore part of course :) many Green Day's songs are much worse

My parents know that I love Green Day but I don't know if they know how much I love Green Day. And I think I won't tell my mother about things they do on stage xD She thinks they are nice little guys that look cute and thats a good thing. I watched Bullet in a bible with my dad a few weeks ago. It was really a little bit awkward, but he just said: 'they're not even better than Guns n Roses.' So I think he doesn't care. He often say Imma little freak but he's a freak too.

And my friends like Green Day too but I don't think that they know how much I love them.

My parents know that I love Green Day but I don't know if they know how much I love Green Day. And I think I won't tell my mother about things they do on stage xD She thinks they are nice little guys that look cute and thats a good thing. I watched Bullet in a bible with my dad a few weeks ago. It was really a little bit awkward, but he just said: 'they're not even better than Guns n Roses.' So I think he doesn't care. He often say Imma little freak but he's a freak too.

And my friends like Green Day too but I don't think that they know how much I love them.

They're better than guns and roses... well you could argue Slash but GD has more talent than Axel...

They're better than guns and roses... well you could argue Slash but GD has more talent than Axel...

Yeah I think so too. but I can't say sth bad about GnR.. My Dad would start a war.

Me too! I started learning English just because of Green Day few years ago. My teacher is sometimes surprised of some words I know :D

Btw: Basket Case's lyrics are IMHO quite alright, besides the whore part of course :) many Green Day's songs are much worse

Awesome! It's good to hear Green Day has inspired you like that too. :happy:

Yeah Basket Case isn't bad, but I guess the whore part is what shocked my mom. I don't think she knows there are things that could shock her more, haha. She doesn't care anymore though, I'm grown up now and I didn't turn out completely fucked up because someone said 'whore' in a song. :lol:

Awesome! It's good to hear Green Day has inspired you like that too. :happy:

Yeah Basket Case isn't bad, but I guess the whore part is what shocked my mom. I don't think she knows there are things that could shock her more, haha. She doesn't care anymore though, I'm grown up now and I didn't turn out completely fucked up because someone said 'whore' in a song. :lol:

:dry: well, neither of my parents speaks English so I have no idea what would they say :lol: but you're right there's no reason to freak out just because you hear "whore".

but my dad hates Green Day, he says that Green Day is a band for kids

Band for Kids?

That made me Chuckle.

Personally because if my parents remotely knows what Green Day sings about,or what they have done and do at concerts.

I probably would be stuck listening to instrumentals/Classical music. haha.

Archived