Liam

omg. That held note in Brutal Love. :wub:

*dies*

I konw right???????? *also dies*

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Trotsky

yes I know, but it feels like it might as well be a cover, musically. And I love Sam Cooke, I'm so glad they did it, but.... this is more me wishing Green Day had that kind of original inspiration on their own. But there's nothing new under the sun anymore, and they definitely have their own sound. I just sort of wish they were capable of stretching that "own sound" more into Cooke territory without quite so much melodic copying.

I'll get over it though, it's all glorious.

Even Beatles have copied Sam Cooke in the past.He was always inspiration even for legends of music like Beatles.Brutal Love It's a beautiful song and nothing changes this.At least for me. :)

Even Beatles have copied Sam Cooke in the past.He was always inspiration even for legends of music like Beatles.Brutal Love It's a beautiful song and nothing changes this.At least for me. :)

True, the Beatles 'stole' a lot of music :) Doesn't make me feel much better about them though :lol: Ever watch the original version of Come Together? I was like, "Damn guys.... that's just stealing."

I cannot even express how much I fucking LOVE an album that makes you FEEL. Like when I listen to Brutal Love, I just want to lay there, turn the volume up and let the music consume me and get completely lost in it. I love songs like this.

And I love "Dirty Rotten Bastards" in a way that is probably inappropriate to love a song.

I am feeling so full of.....I don't know what. Gratitude, I guess is the best word.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you to this amazing band for this amazing trilogy. Thank you.

True, the Beatles 'stole' a lot of music :lol: Ever watch the original version of Come Together? I was like, "Damn guys.... that's just stealing."

seriously..... are we trying to "destroy" all bands now or? :lol:

seriously..... are we trying to "destroy" all bands now or? :lol:

It'll make me feel better about Green Day... all bands do it :P It's like steroids :lol: You just need to accept the juice.

Guest Trotsky

True, the Beatles 'stole' a lot of music :lol: Ever watch the original version of Come Together? I was like, "Damn guys.... that's just stealing."

I told as an example to show you that even those who are legends of music have done in the past.Let's not ruin other bands today.haha :D

It'll make me feel better about Green Day... all bands do it :lol: You just need to accept the juice.

loooool xD

Yeah it makes me feel better about GD too. Even though all bands makes songs with similar melodies, they all make them their own songs because of the lyrics and the meaning.

My copy of "Insomniac" is spelt "Insomaniac" on the cover :P

hahahaha well that one is okay, it kinda means the same :lol:

Finally listened to it for the first time earlier this afternoon, and holy shit, Dirty Rotten Bastards might be in my top 3 Green Day songs ever. It's fucking incredible. 99 Revolutions is also fucking awesome, and I've had it in my head all day. I also liked Brutal Love a LOT more than I thought I would, because I'm not usually a fan of the slower songs. Unfortunately, the album does have some weak points. Sex, Drugs & Violence could have easily fit on Uno, though it is a fun song. I barely even remember what Walk Away or Little Boy Named Train sound like, though I do really like them.

Finally, am I the only one who feels X-Kid is a bit overrated? I was expecting to absolutely love it with all the hype you guys were giving it, but I don't even think it's top 5 on the album. It is pretty catchy though.

Best fuckin album on the trilogy followed by UNO.
DRB, X-kid, 99 revolution and missing you are my favorites.

This is not an album with a whole story as AI or 21CB, but its different and more fun.

AND HAPPY GREEN DAY HOLIDAY :)

I was looking at the linear notes to Tre, and I noticed that Brutal Love is credited as being written by Billie Joe Armstrong and Sam Cooke. Seems they didn't "rip off" the opening melody but borrowed it.

On a similar note, does anybody know why the licensing for Carpe Diem, Kill the DJ, and Loss of Control is different on Uno than the rest of the songs?

Actually, I think i like Tre more than Dos. Seriously, everytime i listen to Tre i like it more and more. Still Uno is my fav.

I was looking at the linear notes to Tre, and I noticed that Brutal Love is credited as being written by Billie Joe Armstrong and Sam Cooke. Seems they didn't "rip off" the opening melody but borrowed it.

On a similar note, does anybody know why the licensing for Carpe Diem, Kill the DJ, and Loss of Control is different on Uno than the rest of the songs?

Pretty sure Heather was referring to that specific note, because she did acknowledge that it was "legally" borrowed.

I was just thinking about it, and with Uno and Dos, even though there aren't really specific characters, I can sort of imagine a loose narrative from the songs... But ironically, with Tre being touted as the one closest to American Idiot (musically), I don't really get such a narrative at all. It's just a simple, solid record full of great songs, that go well together but without any additional binding force.

I need to buy this album

Yes, you do :P.

I noticed that as I get older (and I'm still not even twenty) I can understand his lyrics a little more. He has said that he writes from personal experiences or places he's been in his life, and so as I gain different experiences certain songs click. I love it when that happens - something happens that I've never dealt with before and then I think "Billie wrote something about this! Now I can relate!" Honestly, when I was but a wee girl of 13 listening to American Idiot, I couldn't really relate. But the stuff he'd written like in 1039/Smooth and Kerplunk, I totally got.

It really helps with the whole "growing with the band."

I. Love. This. Band. Aaaaaghh

Ohh the same thing happens to me, as I grow older I start to understand some songs more, and to this day I listen to some of them and think "oh, so that's what he really means".

It's so funny though cause my friend was like "OH MY GOD HAVE YOU LISTENED TO X KID? IT'S SO DAMN GOOD!" And he was listening to it during lunch without me and I was like "OH MY GOD NO WAY WOW FUCK YOU"

he hardly likes green day and he listened to it before me omg.

Pretty sure Heather was referring to that specific note, because she did acknowledge that it was "legally" borrowed.

I was just thinking about it, and with Uno and Dos, even though there aren't really specific characters, I can sort of imagine a loose narrative from the songs... But ironically, with Tre being touted as the one closest to American Idiot (musically), I don't really get such a narrative at all. It's just a simple, solid record full of great songs, that go well together but without any additional binding force.

Yes, you do :P.

I agree, Tre is the least cohesive in terms of topical songwriting. It's all over the place. I guess it's just the music that serves the AI epicness, not so much the storyline. Uno and Dos definitely "make more sense" as albums. It's incredible how much I love Tre and how much it DOES feel like AI to me, and I can't imagine how much more I would connect with it if it DID have that kind of clearer connective tissue between all the songs. Honestly, I don't feel that common core like I do with the first two, but it's still my favorite. Ironically, it's the weaker part of the album between X-Kid and Amanda where the songs have the most in common---childhood struggles and regrets. The stuff surrounding it are grown-up bookends, I guess. It's pretty interesting now that I think about it.

I agree, Tre is the least cohesive in terms of topical songwriting. It's all over the place. I guess it's just the music that serves the AI epicness, not so much the storyline. Uno and Dos definitely "make more sense" as albums. It's incredible how much I love Tre and how much it DOES feel like AI to me, and I can't imagine how much more I would connect with it if it DID have that kind of clearer connective tissue between all the songs. Honestly, I don't feel that common core like I do with the first two, but it's still my favorite. Ironically, it's the weaker part of the album between X-Kid and Amanda where the songs have the most in common---childhood struggles and regrets. The stuff surrounding it are grown-up bookends, I guess. It's pretty interesting now that I think about it.

Yes, musically it does do the AI stuff for sure. I'm not sure I have a favorite of the three albums... But it is definitely in the top two :lol:. I just found it ironic that as far as song topics it is the least cohesive of all, even though it was always meant to be most like the more cohesive among their past albums.

Best fuckin album on the trilogy followed by UNO.

DRB, X-kid, 99 revolution and missing you are my favorites.

This is not an album with a whole story as AI or 21CB, but its different and more fun.

AND HAPPY GREEN DAY HOLIDAY :)

Similar taste to me.

Those 4 are my favorites as well and I also think this is the best of the trilogy followed by UNO!.

Great minds think alike.....

Just changed my text message alert to "siii yoooooo ohh" from Missing You :lol: Now I'm waiting for someone to text me

Archived