Guitar picks straight from the studio - Idiot Club exclusive

Australian1diot

This would've made the Idiot Club even a tiny bit worthwhile, but no. Bit of a joke really.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I feel bad for those outside of the US/UK, but people really don't realize how much more expensive and complicated anything is when it becomes international. Contests for shows and big merch is costly enough, but to bring in someone from say the East? Yea fucking forget it, that's just insanely costly and leaves the company much more liable. I'm more than a bit exasperated by those "well only USA again lame" comments. I do agree that making this 3-4 month old pick contest US only is stupid, but jesus you all, stop bitching about it! I think us USA fans got pretty fucked over by more than half of our tour being totally demolished from this fiasco, so I think you'll be okay if you miss these silly promotions that are, very often, for really small things like picks or a shirt, maybe a CD.

All they have to do is stop lying about what they're offering on the sign up page. If they can't offer contests to those outside the US (and UK in this case) for legal reasons that's fine - just tell people that before they sign up. They know they can't offer it to everyone, but they're choosing to continue promising it to everyone in order to get more people to sign up. They're 100% to blame for that and they deserve to be bitched at. If they were upfront about what they can and can't offer less people would be disappointed and complain.

If someone's going to tell people to stop complaining maybe it shouldn't be someone who's paid less for their membership but gets more for it and who hasn't been falsely advertised to?

All they have to do is stop lying about what they're offering on the sign up page. If they can't offer contests to those outside the US (and UK in this case) for legal reasons that's fine - just tell people that before they sign up. They know they can't offer it to everyone, but they're choosing to continue promising it to everyone in order to get more people to sign up. They're 100% to blame for that and they deserve to be bitched at. If they were upfront about what they can and can't offer less people would be disappointed and complain.

If someone's going to tell people to stop complaining maybe it shouldn't be someone who's paid less for their membership but gets more for it and who hasn't been falsely advertised to?

I couldn't agree more. Especially with the last point you made.

I don't think I will renew either. The only good thing I ever got from IC was Early Entry.

It's still a shame. Especially with all these new members from the box set, they could've made some serious changes around there to make it more appealing to all members, so they'd renew.
At this point, I won't renew it, since I have the feeling nothing useful happened at IC since got the free membership in July/August. I still have a few months though, so I wonder if they got anything planned for the US tour (early entry/soundcheck).
But seriously, they announced these picks in October, and there's still no news about it. It's getting ridiciulous.

They are apparently in the midst of setting up a new site, perhaps that has set things back.

As for the other stuff, I know the site isn't amazing but it's probably not been a priority for anyone in the band's camp these last few months.

Thank God that my membership was free but if I have to renew my account it's only for the t-shirt

They should make GDA the official Green Day site ^^
It's reliable, it's fun, it's up to date etc.

:D

Yeah because of this and just the lameness of the site, I don't think I'll be renewing either. Besides the pre-sale they have done nothing else for me, but make me aggravated.

They are apparently in the midst of setting up a new site, perhaps that has set things back.

As for the other stuff, I know the site isn't amazing but it's probably not been a priority for anyone in the band's camp these last few months.

I understand what you're saying, but they put this up in October. It's not like it was right before everything came to a halt and then they couldn't decide what to do. No, it was after that to obviously keep some interest in the site. Which is fine. But they didn't come through even when they said soon, a second time.

New site or not, this was in the works before that and should have been finished instead of just putting it out there and and then forgotten about.

Sorry the IC, new site or not, isn't winning any points with me at all on this issue.

Where do they lie? I don't see it on the site that any and all contests are guarenteed to all users of the site no matter what country. It's an American site for an American group, do foreigners join this site NOT knowing that some services might not be available to them because they're international?! It's not something that needs to be put up in huge bold letters, it's common sense. I don't join Rammstein fansites or Daft Punk fansites then get confused when I can't participate in 98% of the things they do, why? Because I live in America, and they are German/French respectively. I can't feel bad for anyone who acts as if this was something they didn't see coming. I'm fairly confident that if you read the fine print on every document on that site for every contest/giveaway and when you sign up, it would state that some services aren't available to foreigners. This is 2013, just google it, or ask on this FREE fansite that is more than accomodating to foreigners.

The site guarentees access to any and all members, but it does exclude some services to international fans. They don't "lie", they put it in the terms and conditions, something you have to click agree to when creating an account. It's not their fault no one reads that.

Also, on your last note, you know what I got from the IC? I got to pre-order tickets to a show (that was cancelled), I got offered a contest (that never happened), and I get scraps of news sometimes days after GDA has already posted them, or I read already on Google news. So yea, even though I didn't pay for it (which some could say you did, as it was included in the Ultimate Boxset), it isn't worth it. Which is what I said before, that it's not worth it. Unless you REALLY want that renewal gift, then don't waste the money. End of story.

What I said before is that it gets really tiring reading anything about a contest then seeing dozens of people complain about it not being international. I do feel bad for the fellow fans who can't participate, but must they rain on everyone elses parade in the process every time? They can complain all they want, I (and no one else) can't stop them from doing that, I just get tired of reading it. Quite a downer. This is mostly a repeat of what I said before, but clearly had to explain again. In short, there is no lie or scam to get our $25 membership fee when you get a gift for renewing that would be 15-20 anyways. If that is a scam, it's a bad one.

I understand what you're saying, but they put this up in October. It's not like it was right before everything came to a halt and then they couldn't decide what to do. No, it was after that to obviously keep some interest in the site. Which is fine. But they didn't come through even when they said soon, a second time.

New site or not, this was in the works before that and should have been finished instead of just putting it out there and and then forgotten about.

Sorry the IC, new site or not, isn't winning any points with me at all on this issue.

They should work with GDA more, somehow this free fansite has more relevant information than the actual bands site! That should tell them something.

Where do they lie? I don't see it on the site that any and all contests are guarenteed to all users of the site no matter what country. It's an American site for an American group, do foreigners join this site NOT knowing that some services might not be available to them because they're international?! It's not something that needs to be put up in huge bold letters, it's common sense. I don't join Rammstein fansites or Daft Punk fansites then get confused when I can't participate in 98% of the things they do, why? Because I live in America, and they are German/French respectively. I can't feel bad for anyone who acts as if this was something they didn't see coming. I'm fairly confident that if you read the fine print on every document on that site for every contest/giveaway and when you sign up, it would state that some services aren't available to foreigners. This is 2013, just google it, or ask on this FREE fansite that is more than accomodating to foreigners.

The site guarentees access to any and all members, but it does exclude some services to international fans. They don't "lie", they put it in the terms and conditions, something you have to click agree to when creating an account. It's not their fault no one reads that.

Also, on your last note, you know what I got from the IC? I got to pre-order tickets to a show (that was cancelled), I got offered a contest (that never happened), and I get scraps of news sometimes days after GDA has already posted them, or I read already on Google news. So yea, even though I didn't pay for it (which some could say you did, as it was included in the Ultimate Boxset), it isn't worth it. Which is what I said before, that it's not worth it. Unless you REALLY want that renewal gift, then don't waste the money. End of story.

What I said before is that it gets really tiring reading anything about a contest then seeing dozens of people complain about it not being international. I do feel bad for the fellow fans who can't participate, but must they rain on everyone elses parade in the process every time? They can complain all they want, I (and no one else) can't stop them from doing that, I just get tired of reading it. Quite a downer. This is mostly a repeat of what I said before, but clearly had to explain again. In short, there is no lie or scam to get our $25 membership fee when you get a gift for renewing that would be 15-20 anyways. If that is a scam, it's a bad one.

They should work with GDA more, somehow this free fansite has more relevant information than the actual bands site! That should tell them something.

"A one year membership is $20 and gets you everything below....

.... -Periodic contests with prizing and random giveaways"

How hard would it be to add "(where applicable)" to this? They might contradict the lie in the small print but they've still chosen to mislead people with that wording. They also post about IC contests on greenday.com to try and lure people into joining, again not mentioning that the contest they're using to advertise it to the whole world is only available in the US. They've changed the wording of the sign up page several times but they still continue to keep the fact that contests are only for the US hidden, and then once people join and find out the truth and are disappointed they claim they're doing everything they can to sort it out!

I'm not saying it's the biggest con in the world or that they're breaking the law or anything, just that they're choosing to be misleading about one of the things they're offering on purpose because they'd rather more people joined than be upfront and lose business. They're selling themselves as an international site. They might not legally have to be more honest to their international members, but they should be if they don't want people to be disappointed when they join and complain that's all I'm saying.

I paid $28 to renew and I received some postcards btw, I don't think they're worth $15-$20 :P. But I'm not bothered about that, I know what the IC is offering and was happy to join just for a presale not expecting anything else. I just think it would be nice if they made sure everyone who joins has a more realistic idea of what's on offer before they join.

When they'll do it we will think it's better late than never ;) <I hope.. :ermm:

Anyway, the only reason I would renew my membership is to see if it helps me at some concert here, if they come back

That's A LOT of picks to have all been used in the studio...and the bag looks unopened. Sorry if I'm being a downer, but the chances are slim that those really came from the studio =/

"A one year membership is $20 and gets you everything below....

.... -Periodic contests with prizing and random giveaways"

How hard would it be to add "(where applicable)" to this? They might contradict the lie in the small print but they've still chosen to mislead people with that wording. They also post about IC contests on greenday.com to try and lure people into joining, again not mentioning that the contest they're using to advertise it to the whole world is only available in the US. They've changed the wording of the sign up page several times but they still continue to keep the fact that contests are only for the US hidden, and then once people join and find out the truth and are disappointed they claim they're doing everything they can to sort it out!

I'm not saying it's the biggest con in the world or that they're breaking the law or anything, just that they're choosing to be misleading about one of the things they're offering on purpose because they'd rather more people joined than be upfront and lose business. They're selling themselves as an international site. They might not legally have to be more honest to their international members, but they should be if they don't want people to be disappointed when they join and complain that's all I'm saying.

I paid $28 to renew and I received some postcards btw, I don't think they're worth $15-$20 :P. But I'm not bothered about that, I know what the IC is offering and was happy to join just for a presale not expecting anything else. I just think it would be nice if they made sure everyone who joins has a more realistic idea of what's on offer before they join.

I can still say that making the pick contest US/UK only is just plain silly. I mean, how much could it possibly cost to send 3 pics internationally? 5-10?

That's A LOT of picks to have all been used in the studio...and the bag looks unopened. Sorry if I'm being a downer, but the chances are slim that those really came from the studio =/

I don't think the ones in the picture were used, just that those were the same pics they used. The band probably had a dozen bags of each album made and just played them while recording. What we get are the left overs ;)

I think they should have had a bit flexible joining price for people like us. Green Day isnt touring India any time soon. So my IC membership will go to a waste. No contests, no tickets, nothing. Why am I even going there? Thank God I don't have the membership.

Well think about it, there is Billie Joe, Jason and Mike, they all use picks and let's say they use 1 pick per song and they all use their own pick, there are 37 songs, 37x3 = 111, plus all the band practices they had. Have you already seen 111+ picks at the same time? That's A LOT of pics.

Well think about it, there is Billie Joe, Jason and Mike, they all use picks and let's say they use 1 pick per song and they all use their own pick, there are 37 songs, 37x3 = 111, plus all the band practices they had. Have you already seen 111+ picks at the same time? That's A LOT of pics.

True, but do you really think they use a different pick everytime?

I do yea. When recording a song I will go through any number of picks to find the right tone/feel for the song, or just for comfort. I keep a huge stock of picks near me so I can always grab one and go. Some artists even change strings on the guitar for every single song, just to make sure they have the original bright bounce to them! picks, being a fraction of that cost, are easily forgettable and replacable. If I were them and had 2-300 custom picks I would have tons of fun playing em. Plus, any one who doesn't play guitar wouldn't understand how unrealistically easy it is to lose a pick XD Again, I don't think they literally played these EXACT picks in the studio, I think these are the leftovers of the picks they had made up.

Yes I do, they get them for free and a pick is not something that you take care of, you end up losing your picks and over time they also tend to wear off so you take a new pic. And you have to keep in mind that a song does not represent one take , they probably had to play the same riffs over and over again god knows how many times, and they probably also had to record demos of the songs.

Let's face it, half of you have a membership because of the box set. No other reason. So realistically speaking, you got your membership as icing on the cake. It's not like you would have paid $20 for an IC membership otherwise. So why complain about guitar picks?

Let's face it, half of you have a membership because of the box set. No other reason. So realistically speaking, you got your membership as icing on the cake. It's not like you would have paid $20 for an IC membership otherwise. So why complain about guitar picks?

I think the actual complain is having to wait SO long for something they said "coming soon" :lol:

I do yea. When recording a song I will go through any number of picks to find the right tone/feel for the song, or just for comfort. I keep a huge stock of picks near me so I can always grab one and go. Some artists even change strings on the guitar for every single song, just to make sure they have the original bright bounce to them! picks, being a fraction of that cost, are easily forgettable and replacable. If I were them and had 2-300 custom picks I would have tons of fun playing em. Plus, any one who doesn't play guitar wouldn't understand how unrealistically easy it is to lose a pick XD Again, I don't think they literally played these EXACT picks in the studio, I think these are the leftovers of the picks they had made up.

good point

Yes I do, they get them for free and a pick is not something that you take care of, you end up losing your picks and over time they also tend to wear off so you take a new pic. And you have to keep in mind that a song does not represent one take , they probably had to play the same riffs over and over again god knows how many times, and they probably also had to record demos of the songs.

also a good point

I'm kinda maybe sorta changing my mind now....

When do you think they started using them though? I mean, technically they could've started playing with them not too long after 21st Century Breakdown if they knew in advance that they were going to do a trilogy. Just because Billie Joe didn't announce it then, doesn't mean he already had it all planned out and was just waiting for the right moment to start............

.just a thought I wanted to put out there

good point

also a good point

I'm kinda maybe sorta changing my mind now....

When do you think they started using them though? I mean, technically they could've started playing with them not too long after 21st Century Breakdown if they knew in advance that they were going to do a trilogy. Just because Billie Joe didn't announce it then, doesn't mean he already had it all planned out and was just waiting for the right moment to start............

.just a thought I wanted to put out there

I think they had em made over the summer time. They have the Trilogy faces on em, meaning they couldn't have been made too long ago, as we saw in the footage when they decided to do a trilogy and how they got to the faces. So yea, I'm pinning these as made, at the earliest, March though. They announced the trilogy in April according to wiki, with a release date of September.

I'm just guessing, they could have made these November 2011 for all we know, I'm just thinking that Late Spring/Early Summer seem most likely.

I think they had em made over the summer time. They have the Trilogy faces on em, meaning they couldn't have been made too long ago, as we saw in the footage when they decided to do a trilogy and how they got to the faces. So yea, I'm pinning these as made, at the earliest, March though. They announced the trilogy in April according to wiki, with a release date of September.

I'm just guessing, they could have made these November 2011 for all we know, I'm just thinking that Late Spring/Early Summer seem most likely.

I guessed around that time, that would make the most sense.

But you never know, Billie could've been planning this for years :ninja:

Archived