Kerrang! accepting letters of support for Billie - share them here!

M1KEY

Kerrang Magazine Tweeted the following earlier today:

Kerrang! Magazine ‏@KerrangMagazine

Want to send your support to Billie Joe Armstrong? Email your letters/drawings/pics to feedback@kerrang.com for inclusion in next weeks mag!

Since the vast majority of submissions will not end up in the magazine, please share your submission with everyone here if you would like!

The following is what I wrote...

Billie,

In my life I have countless things to thank you for. First off, you changed my life in 1994 when I heard Basket Case and When I Come Around on the radio, Green Day opened my eyes to a whole new genre of incredible music... music that was open and accepting and helped a young gay teen like me feel like I wasn't alone. You inspired that kid to learn to play guitar and sing. You pulled that man on stage to sing Longview (and dry hump) in 2009, and in 2011 you chatted with that man at a party in New York City. Those are just a few reasons I am thankful for you and everything you have given me and the world.

Now, I (and everyone else) want you to know how much we love and support you as you take this difficult step in bettering yourself and your health. You are living proof that even the best of us have moments of weakness, and when you overcome this obstacle you will have once again inspired and given hope to countless individuals who are struggling with similar demons.

All My Lovin',

Michael Aaron Keith

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great letter, and what a great way for Billie Joe to really feel the support from all his fans. Kerrang does Green Day pretty well!

Mine's cheesy as shit, but, eh.

Billie Joe, you and Green Day changed my life. I know that's cheesy, but it's true. As someone who grew up solely on Top 40 and Adult Contemporary music, I only knew of Green Day via "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)." Then, in what was a rare move for me at age 15, I bought a rock album: "American Idiot." I will never forget the first time I heard "Jesus of Suburbia;" I had never heard anything like it in my life and I haven't since. It was the first song I really paid full attention to, parsing out each line, each chord, each beat of the drum. My passion for Green Day waned in later years, but on a whim, I bought a ticket to the 21st Century Breakdown Tour in 2009. Even though I was in the last row of the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan, the show was so intense and engaging, I felt as though I was on the floor. You showed me a real concert. Ever since, I've devoted much of my life to Green Day. The band was the soundtrack to my final two years of college and talking about Green Day music as well as you, Mike and Tre set the stage for many nights of procrastination on schoolwork. In addition, I have met so many wonderful friends through your music, and I'm eternally grateful for that. They've made my life brighter, just as you made theirs brighter.

I know that you're probably receiving a lot of these messages, and they probably all sound similar, which can be overwhelming and tiring at a time like this. But I think that's a testament to how much people care about you and what you do. We've listened to and related to your musical confessions for years, and when you're ready to talk about your life again through music and on the road, we'll be waiting for you. We're here for you now, and we will always be there for you.

Here's mine, sorry if its off but it's nearly midnight over here. :lol:

Dear Billie,

I could go on for ages & ages about how your lyrics and the band's music changed my life, but I'll save that for another day.

I just wanted to let you know that, whatever help you are seeking out, you have the support of hundreds of dedicated Green Day fans, including myself. Whatever demons you're working through, we'll be right behind you, handing you swords and armor and cannons and lightsabers and whatever else you need to overcome them.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with whatever help you are seeking out. It takes balls of steel to ask for outside help, and the fact that you did is extremely honorable. Hopefully all is well is with you, your family, and friends, and just know that we'll (the crazy Green day fanbase) be waiting, be it days, weeks, or months. There's hundreds of days for you guys to rock our faces off, don't feel pressured to return if you're not feeling ready. Take as much time as you need, and I can't wait to see you sprinting your skinny ass around on a stage again!

Rage & Love

Deb A.

Dear Billie Joe

I became a fan of your music in 2005 shortly after the release of American idiot. This record was one of the most influential to me especially hard time. In August of 2005 hurricane Katrina hit and my aunt, uncle and cousins lost their home and we took them in. Just shortly after they moved out my best friend died in a car crash. This was also on top of severe bullying. I don't know what i would have done with out your records. Even in high school your records helped. When I was a junior in High School I grew severely depressed and started cutting myself and even was suicidal. Your records were sometimes the only things that were keeping me from putting a gun to my head

Please understand that I understand how hard shit happens.I just want to let you know that you'll overcome your problems. Look at me, I'm an successful university student who over came severe Depression. Please focus on your health and understand that you are doing the right thing and that there is nothing wrong with seeking help.

You'll pull through, I promise

With lots of love

Amy

There is too much I want to say. Green Day has helped me through so much... I need to do this to give some of that back.

Here's the letter I'm sending in:

Billie Joe,

Thank you. That’s all I can really think of to say right now. Green Day has had an immense impact on my life, and thousands of others. But this isn’t the time for me to tell my story. This is about you, Billie. Everyone has their inner demons to concur. And to come out and ask for help with those problems is an extremely noble act. It takes an intense amount of courage to pour your heart into your lyrics, and share it with the world. Your lyrics are there to comfort us whenever we’re in times of trouble. And now your fans, friends, and family are here to support you during your hardships.

From my heart to yours, I hope that you make a safe recovery. Come back in time, when you think you’re ready. Then rock the shit out of us, as you never fail to do.

Always remember that the Green Day family is here to support.

We can’t even imagine life without you.

All my love,

Virginia Petry

Oh dear... I might just want to write one. That will be challenging, though.

Just sent mine in. It was hard getting my feelings into words, but I tried to keep it as short as possible:

Dear Billie,

First and foremost, thank you. Words cannot fully express the amount of love and utmost respect I have for you and Green Day as a whole. It's hard to explain how much you've truly meant to me growing up, but I'll do my best. Green Day has become somewhat of a family to me, something I look to for guidance and hope. Like most adolescents, I have had my fair share of dark moments; severe anxiety, depression and destructive thoughts to name a few. But your music helped me through it all. It gave me something to fight for. Everyone has a skeleton in their closet and your lyrics have helped millions cope with that realization. Green Day's fan base has become a community in itself, bringing people together from all over the world and starting friendships that would have otherwise gone unmade. You've literally changed our lives in the most positive way imaginable, and for that-I cannot thank you enough. At this moment in time, we can only hope to return the favor. I wish you nothing but the best on your road to recovery.

Rage and Love,

Chelsea Borbeck

I'm 26 now and I found your music when i was 13. Thanks for introducing me to not just punk rock, but a whole new way of thinking.

I dont know you Billie, but you seem like a strong man, husband and band mate. I'm sure you'll give the recovery progress the same tenacity you put in to every note you play.

Best of luck.

Matt

Kerrang Magazine Tweeted the following earlier today:

Kerrang! Magazine ‏@KerrangMagazine

Want to send your support to Billie Joe Armstrong? Email your letters/drawings/pics to feedback@kerrang.com for inclusion in next weeks mag!

Since the vast majority of submissions will not end up in the magazine, please share your submission with everyone here if you would like!

The following is what I wrote...

Billie,

You pulled that man on stage to sing Longview (and dry hump) in 2009

All My Lovin',

Michael Aaron Keith

I saw the video of that- that shit was pretty fuckin epic :toocool:

I hope this finds you well, Billie Joe for what It's worth.. I think everyone has their demons. It's not anyone's fucking business to be intrusive, only to be compassionate. The respect I have for you is unfathomable, I adore you guys. I grew up with your music, my father handed down his few worn and torn records that I've come to understand and cherish. Without having that stability, a place to hide, that one song to play when I was lost.. I wouldn't merely be half the person I am today. I thank you. Fuck what the majority say, I'll always stand by you guys.This is a positive thing, you guys will be back stronger than ever with a vengeance, ready to conquer the world once again! A wise man once said "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make alot of mistakes. Anything that's successful is a series of mistakes."

WHAT I SENT IN----

My Dearest Billie,

It might sound weird for me to call you "dearest", since we don't even know each other personally. But hell, I know you better than anyone. We've actually met once at a soundcheck before a show in Dallas, TX, during the end of the 21CB tour. Which was the best day of my life. Being able to meet you guys. You waved at me and I got the stupidest smile on my face. Jason and Mike were cracking up at me. I know it sounds crazy that someone waving at me could be the best moment of my life. But the fact that it was you, did make it the best moment of my life. Later that night was the concert. The most fun I've ever had in my life.

My point is, you are the biggest influence in my life. Your music has made me the person I am today, and You know what, I like that person. Thanks to you. I love you and Mike, Trè, and Jason with all my heart. For making the best music in the world, for making me so happy, and mainly for just being you and always being yourself and never fake.

I know you're fine and it seems ridiculous for me to be freaking out. But naturally, I'm gonna worry some. I just need you and your beautiful face back out there kicking ass and tearing up the stage. Because I need you. All of us idiots need you. We need our leader back. So hang in there, you'll be fine and I can't wait to see you performing some of the trilogy for us all. Because you're literally the most the most talented man there ever was. We love you.

Rage & Love,

Rachel

The Extraordinary Girl

They tweeted that about 16 hours ago. I hope sending them now isn't too late.

Oh well, I sent one anywayz.

I'll try what I sent here:

Billie,

I know we've never met, but I want you to know I view the phrase "dreams come true" as a phrase meant for your relationship between me and you and Green Day. The dream of meeting amazing fans from all over the planet. The dream of listening to songs, and being able to say a big fuck you to whoever I want (Minority springs to mind). Lastly, to see you perform at Shepard's Bush, was the most amazing day of my life.

I just want you to know, you can recover. Once you do, me, this community and this fan-base will have our dreams come true again.

Liam

Billie Joe,

I think you are such an amazingly creative, talented, and intelligent person. Even though I don’t know you personally, I have a deeper respect for you than I do for a lot of the people I do know. You are truly a master of your art. Your unwavering ingenuity, dedication, and ability to make something spectacular out of nothing is a true inspiration. This time right now shows your strength as a person even more. You could just give up like so many others would in your place, but instead you are stepping up and doing what is right for yourself and for those close to you. This will no doubt inspire a lot of people who look up to you that are struggling with similar situations to pick up the pieces and better themselves like you are doing. Even at a difficult time like this, you never cease to inspire and amaze me, and I don't think I could say that about any other person. Thank you for being who you are and staying true to yourself for all these years even with the many adversities you have faced. You have the complete and total support of myself and all the countless other Green Day fans out there. I hope things go as well for you as they possibly can!

Love,

Lexi Menth

Archived