¡UNO! Album

Sanity Loan

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and for anyone who isn't a fan of the genre it has become the token dis for artists they don't like... regardless of the sound. UGH. Nothing Green Day has written is even remotely emo... it goes back further than that. Much less in-the-moment, musically. Anyway, if it is happy rock'n'roll... doesn't that sort of go against what was just said? And there are some moments of happiness but there is a lot of melancholy in the lyrics (though belied by the bright and sunny sound)

You're welcome! It seems like more and more recently, he's been making direct references to people and landmarks. Sodom and Gomorrah, the facility (police station) "on E. 12th Street", etc. That can be confusing for some fans!

right! Yesterday I translated into Italian the lyrics

for my fan page and some parts were difficult to

understand for those who are not American /

English

Sodom and Gomorrah is a Biblical reference, though. But most of the specific place and brand names, I'm American and I couldn't tell you what they mean. It's sort of implied by the rest of the lyrics but I don't know that place... California is "2000 Light Years Away" and he is referencing places that are close to home. They bear significance to him but no one else.

It's not a new thing, though, remember Tight Wad Hill and Stuart and the Ave and Christie Road? ;).

Does anyone else notice the Tambourine sound during the guitar-only intro of Stay the Night ???

No, all I hear is guitar o_o.

Yeah, and for anyone who isn't a fan of the genre it has become the token dis for artists they don't like... regardless of the sound. UGH. Nothing Green Day has written is even remotely emo... it goes back further than that. Much less in-the-moment, musically. Anyway, if it is happy rock'n'roll... doesn't that sort of go against what was just said? And there are some moments of happiness but there is a lot of melancholy in the lyrics (though belied by the bright and sunny sound)

I think that the reviewer meant that Uno is "happy rock n roll" so he hoped that all Green Day fans (which to him means emo kids that jumped on the bandwagon around AI when the skater punks had grown up) will like it despite it's lack of melancholy. A real "wtf of the week". I don't like when people write stuff they don't know anything about...

I think that the reviewer meant that Uno is "happy rock n roll" so he hoped that all Green Day fans (which to him means emo kids that jumped on the bandwagon around AI when the skater punks had grown up) will like it despite it's lack of melancholy. A real "wtf of the week". I don't like when people write stuff they don't know anything about...

Strange. Just strange XD. At least he liked it?

Sodom and Gomorrah is a Biblical reference, though. But most of the specific place and brand names, I'm American and I couldn't tell you what they mean. It's sort of implied by the rest of the lyrics but I don't know that place... California is "2000 Light Years Away" and he is referencing places that are close to home. They bear significance to him but no one else.

It's not a new thing, though, remember Tight Wad Hill and Stuart and the Ave and Christie Road? ;).

But of course! Although, one could argue that he was writing about places he knew back then. The Tight Wad Hills, Pasalacquas, Stuart Streets...etc. In the 21CB demo he reference Mexico and the Berlin Wall. So while he's always done it, he's pointing to things that are maybe less personal than they used to be.

But of course! Although, one could argue that he was writing about places he knew back then. The Tight Wad Hills, Pasalacquas, Stuart Streets...etc. In the 21CB demo he reference Mexico and the Berlin Wall. So while he's always done it, he's pointing to things that are maybe less personal than they used to be.

Well those places are referenced more for political than personal reasons. I'd also venture to guess that most people of the planet (who are listening to Green Day, anyway) know about Berlin and Mexico. But his world has gotten a lot bigger since Christie Road, too. International fame and international touring means at least to some extent you're going to have personal references all over the planet. I would say "Jane street" is pretty specific and personal, though. (And, to be a complete fangirl, that whole song is kind of heart-melting). When I first looked at the booklet I thought he had written "fame street" cause the "J" is backwards and it looks like a lowercase "f" (in cursive). o_O.

love this album. It is back to basics and not an over the top rock opera.

Yup! With something new, too.

Still have to listen to the whole album but so far WOO!! just give me a tour ticket and I'm happy :P

Strange. Just strange XD. At least he liked it?

Yeah he only said positive stuff about Uno, but he only gave it 3/5 though. Very strange review and reviewer indeed :pinch:

About the 12th street thing, a couple of the Oakland sheriffs offices are on east 12th street.

A. C. TRANSIT

2425 East 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94601

CONTRACT LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES

About the 12th street thing, a couple of the Oakland sheriffs offices are on east 12th street.

A. C. TRANSIT

CONTRACT LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES

Thanks, but he has explained that before ;). Just talking about the fact that he references things like that in the first place.

Does anyone know what he means when he says "You wanna senorita"? o_O.

When does he says that?

In Angel Blue, during the chorus.

One thing I love about being a Bay Area kid is that I know all the refrences he makes pertaining to Bay Area lifestyles or streets and slang. ;D

Well aren't you fucking cool :P. (Totally teasing btw)

Does anyone know what he means when he says "You wanna senorita"? o_O.

He's essentially asking "Do you want a señorita?" Simple as that.

He's essentially asking "Do you want a señorita?" Simple as that.

Really? Cause that's what I would think but it seems like he is talking to a girl who could be classified as a senorita...

Otherwise I could say it was "You wanna, senorita?" leaving the what she "wanna" to be filled in, but I just wondered if there was something that I was somehow missing about the phrase.

Billie saying 'señorita'... :lol:

He's from California, and check out the album titles :P. Lots of (half) español. ;).

No, all I hear is guitar o_o.

To me the "emo" genre has never existed, its another dumb name created by the music industry to sell a product just like the "alternative rock"(or whatever you want to call it) genre.

To me the "emo" genre has never existed, its another dumb name created by the music industry to sell a product just like the "alternative rock"(or whatever you want to call it) genre.

By that logic punk never existed, either.

But I'd rather not get into a genre discussion anyway. I don't care what Green Day is labeled as, as long as they are Green Day.

He's from California, and check out the album titles :P. Lots of (half) español. ;).

I know :P Spanish is my first language :rolleyes: And that's why I love the titles so much

Well it's obvious that the reviewer doesn't know what "emo" means. It was a stupid statement. But whatever, that's just one idiot.

Archived