Oh Love Music Video

Comic Sans

WMUWSE was the worst. I can't ever watch it.

Interesting convo here. Will be interesting to see how opinions change after we see the full video. Both versions.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the message in the video necessarily has to relate strictly to the song, or tell you anything specific about any deeper meanings of the song. I get the impression it just takes the sexual element and it might be done really well yet, we'll just have to wait and see. The bits with the band look really cool anyway, I think I'll like those even if the rest isn't really my thing. :)

Billie's half-unbottend shirt makes him look sexy :creep: That's the only one good think which I can see now in the video.

I think it's an interesting interpretation of the song. If it weren't for the actual words "Oh love" it even fits the lyrics. It's not exactly love though. Should've been "oh lust" or something.

That said, I have to say that I'm disappointed. I don't know what the whole video is like, but what we've seen now kind of looks like they're desperate for attention and air time. It looks weak. Especially since they interact with the girls, as if that's their usual thing, hanging out in a backstage brothel. They're free to do whatever they like and have whatever image, before anyone starts to throw shit, but I don't have to approve of it. I hope that the full video is more artsy or making a statement than "look, it's nearly naked women!!", that could save the whole thing, but at the moment I'm not very happy with it and I feel like this isn't the band I know that is above showing off with [edit: objectified] women in their clips.

I think the whole point is to not make a certain statement with the video. I think it is more along the lines of the Holiday video in the sense of just having fun.

I'm sure the image created in the video will not represent the band at all. We will see how the entire video will look like, but I am not worried or disappointed at all at the monent.

Maybe I will be on Wednesday, but I'll deal with that by then :P

Honestly I don't get what people were expecting from this video? We knew that there gonna be female actors. We knew somehow what's the story behind this song. I really can't see music video like Walking Contradiction fitting with this song. And it seemed like people were excited when Billie tweeted that there's going to be R rated version too, but when people saw the clip, they disappointed. Why? I wasn't expecting that video shows those girls eating ice cream while the band plays on the background. I can say that this clip didn't surprise me at all, really. I think this video is going to fit really well with this era and this song.

I think we never really thought that the guys would actually get involved. I mean in many videos, there are people kissing and stuff, but the band never got involved. Here, it seems, they might. It is actually weird if you think about it.

Anyway, I don't know. As everyone stated, we have to wait for the whole video.

I think it's an interesting interpretation of the song. If it weren't for the actual words "Oh love" it even fits the lyrics. It's not exactly love though. Should've been "oh lust" or something.

That said, I have to say that I'm disappointed. I don't know what the whole video is like, but what we've seen now kind of looks like they're desperate for attention and air time. It looks weak. Especially since they interact with the girls, as if that's their usual thing, hanging out in a backstage brothel. They're free to do whatever they like and have whatever image, before anyone starts to throw shit, but I don't have to approve of it. I hope that the full video is more artsy or making a statement than "look, it's nearly naked women!!", that could save the whole thing, but at the moment I'm not very happy with it and I feel like this isn't the band I know that is above showing off with [edit: objectified] women in their clips.

I'm pretty sure that idea of the video isn't represent Green Day as a band who hangs out with half-naked girls on their backstage. This video didn't turn out to be like this because they want to get attention and air time. You don't have to approve it, but you know yourself that this band is better than that. Like I said, they don't have to proof anything for anyone. This video is not about attention, it doesn't have a message like: "Hey check this out, Green Day is band like this!" No, it represents this song, it's not a LOVE song like Minnesota Girl or Last Night On Earth. I don't think that Sam Bayer was like: "HEY, I got an idea, let's have half-naked girls interacting with you so we get ass-loads of airtime on MTV and I shit some money" and the band was like: "Fuck that's the spirit". You shouldn't throw that shit yet, watch the video first and then criticize how cheap this band went with this video.

Ok...read through most of the posts here (interesting mostly guys have no problem with this video...wonder why?). Anyway i don't have a problem with this video (or the tiny bit i have seen) because i feel it objectifies women (enough music videos do that and i can't spend all day being offended) i have a problem because this is Green Day. A band who have given interviews criticizing these kinds of plain stupid videos in the past numerous times and who i respected (not for their private morals which to be honest none of us really know we all assume and i am guessing a lot of fans think they are angels in some aspects and are sadly mistaken) for their basic views on equality etc. Having glorified whores in your video (and yes that does seem to be Billie at the start) is never what i expected to see from them. It's pathetic pop band stuff that they loathed a few years ago and before you all say "people are entitled to grow and change" i will point out that there is progression and regression and i believe in some senses Green Day are currently experiencing the latter. Songs like Makeout Party and Fuck Time (funny as it might be at a gig) would never in a trillion years have seriously have made an album a few years ago.

And for all the people who have defended Green Day instantly by telling anyone who feels disappointed/slightly in wtf mode over this that they are overreacting and there is no way GD act like this in reality as two of them are married etc i remind you all of the interview (i think it was mtv its on youtube) where Mike/Billie said that the concept for the Oh Love video came from the song Makeout Party in which the events actually occured. Check it yourself. Personally this does not shock me and i feel it is nobodys business what they do anyway but portraying this as if it is something to be glorified is a bit sad. All in all i feel confused. It's not just this video...listening to the lyrics from some of the new songs (which sound amazing music wise) im thinking either there is a new honesty to the lyrics or they have changed a lot...either way im finding im having a fan crisis. :mellow:

I think we should look at this as just a chapter in the story. Lust, scantily clad girls, one night stands and then regrets and hangover.

I lost my way oh baby

This stray heart

Went to another

Can you recover baby

Oh, you're the only one that I'm dreaming of

Your precious heart

Was torn apart by me

Am I the only one who feels this discussion is beginning to get a little too personal?

Am I the only one who feels this discussion is beginning to get a little too personal? The song says nothing about one night stands or anything like that, and the video is not the song. Let's just leave that there, please.

I agree, don't really like when the band's personal lives get involved as its unfair on the families involved. I think that might have referred to the story lines in the songs but yeah. I'm more concerned by how this makes the band look in the media, which is kind of skeezy and lame ...

I agree, don't really like when the band's personal lives get involved as its unfair on the families involved. I think that might have referred to the story lines in the songs but yeah. I'm more concerned by how this makes the band look in the media, which is kind of skeezy and lame ...

Yeah i thought that after I posted it and tried to edit out, but my phone's being stupid. Still feel it's getting a bit awkwardly personal though.

i kind of wish someone else had made the video and not Sam Bayer. this will change peoples views on Green Day.. tbh, even if this might make me sound like a bad fan: I fucking hope Green Day hasnt changed TOO much as a band. if so, I'll miss the old (yes i'll say the new/old thing) Green Day. and with old, I mean 1039/smooth to 21stCB. i fucking love this band so much and i hate myself for saying this.

I'm not sure how this concept has anything to do with the song... At least what I think about the song.

I don't think I'm going to like this video, but whatever.

I think the whole point is to not make a certain statement with the video. I think it is more along the lines of the Holiday video in the sense of just having fun.

I'm sure the image created in the video will not represent the band at all. We will see how the entire video will look like, but I am not worried or disappointed at all at the monent.

Maybe I will be on Wednesday, but I'll deal with that by then :P

But Holiday was a different sort of fun. That was just having a fun night by yourself. This is fun that looks like it's mostly using women as lust objects, things to walk around being hot. I'm not usually the one to go all feminazi on everyone but idk, I do not like that. If it was part of a story even, like it sort of is in Holiday, I would also not care as much, but this is portraying Green Day as spoilt rockstars who spend their time backstage surrounded by girls half their age in lingerie, which is not an image that matches with the Green Day I love and know. I know that they're not really like that, but many people who'll see the video don't.

I hope so. We'll see when the whole video's released.

I'm pretty sure that idea of the video isn't represent Green Day as a band who hangs out with half-naked girls on their backstage. This video didn't turn out to be like this because they want to get attention and air time. You don't have to approve it, but you know yourself that this band is better than that. Like I said, they don't have to proof anything for anyone. This video is not about attention, it doesn't have a message like: "Hey check this out, Green Day is band like this!" No, it represents this song, it's not a LOVE song like Minnesota Girl or Last Night On Earth. I don't think that Sam Bayer was like: "HEY, I got an idea, let's have half-naked girls interacting with you so we get ass-loads of airtime on MTV and I shit some money" and the band was like: "Fuck that's the spirit". You shouldn't throw that shit yet, watch the video first and then criticize how cheap this band went with this video.

I don't know if the video isn't like that or if the band is better than that. I don't know what the whole video is going to turn out like, but like I said in my post, from what I've seen now in this preview, it doesn't look like it has much substance. I hope I'm wrong and that the edit MTV made is just a very selective one that doesn't show the parts that make clear it has a point/is ironic/relates to the song/anything that makes it more than just a booty video. I never said I've done my final verdict on the whole video already, maybe the whole video is great, it was just what the sneak peek looked like to me.

I wonder what people that were hoping for a Fuck Time single/video would be expecting in that video…

That said I'm not a big fan of the way I and apparently many other imagine the video to look like after the preview, but considering the weird descriptions we've seen of the video I'll join others in holding back judgement for now.

Edit:

Personally I liked the interpretations of Oh Love that go beyond the "sexual tension" aspect, so I'm not really hopeful to see that reflected in the video.

Oh and what's up with the JoS video hate? I liked it along with all of the other AI videos because they show the exact story and/or feeling the songs have for me (except for WMUWSE)

Am I the only one who feels this discussion is beginning to get a little too personal?

Absolutely not. I think this too.

The Network did have dirty videos, but for one thing those were never representing green day and for another, they weren't really interacting with the girls. I think it's the sudden keeness to be all "oh hey look I'm frolicking with naked girls back stage we're so rock and roll and hey we can still get totally hot girls just an average day for green day" that bothers me. They've never had that attitude before. Meh, it's not a big deal, but for the first time I might actually agree if someone calls them sellouts over this.

Also I have no problem with sexiness in videos, at all, if it has a point to it, which so far this doesn't look like it does

This is the way I feel... Oh well, there's nothing we can do about it...

I really don't know what's actually going on, but it seems that the video idea for Oh Love doesn't go well with that you're all maybe feeling.

If Fuck Time turns into a single and has a video. I'm expecting people to think there will be cute bunnies and Billie dressed in a bear suit.

They're a little more than three times my age, it would be just fucking weird if I, or anyone near my age, was jealous of those stripper-actors. I just think this isn't what Oh Love represents. So, if this whole thing's gonna be like the sneak peak, then what the hell were they thinking when brain storming ideas for the video?! I think I can speak for the majority that we're just worried in what direction they're going.

I know that, i just thought it was weird that all the girls were disliking.... No offence at all! I respect that all of you have your own opinion about this.........

If Fuck Time turns into a single and has a video. I'm expecting people to think there will be cute bunnies and Billie dressed in a bear suit.

And hot girls eating ice cream or playing Monopoly.

There is a slight chance that this could be done in a somewhat intellectually ironic way, especially if we are correct in thinking one of the lines in Kill the DJ is "You never protest the dirtiest kind..." and that song is about pop culture/shitty music.... and this would be the dirty stuff that no one seems to be protesting. So if they end up murdering these scantily clad women in the Kill the DJ video, or kicking them out of the backstage area and holding up their favorite vinyl records, that'd be pretty great.

I don't think Sam Bayer is as smart as me though :P /intellectual fantasy over.

Yes, this is something I was thinking about... But from the clips it doesn't look like an ironic video, but at the same time it does, lol I don't know, maybe when we get the whole thing it will look better.

Well Billie did say the make out party did occur, and now were seeing it. I kind of assumed he was talking about some kind of drunk AI cast party and not a backstage orgy, but that's the route they're choosing toay least represent it. Anyway I digress. I don't think this reflects the bands typical lifestyle but that doesnt mean they haven't experienced stuff like this either and I guess we just need to accept that

Billie said in that short clip it's about "getting carried away". Whether these guys actually do get carrid away in real life we don't know, but that's what we're seeing in the video. Not who they are most of the time, if ever.

I've listened to Oh Love for half an hour and read the lyrics carefully one mor time. I can understand why the video will look like. I can see now it. It's night, let's have fun, we're free, we can do what we want, there are no rulers, we're out of control. Now everything make sense for me. However, I'm still not convinced to the idea with half-naked womens, but I can understand band and their ideas. They just want to have fun.

Archived