Oh Love Music Video

Comic Sans

I couldn't help but notice the pic in your sig XD When was this taken? If it's recent, I love how Billie almost has his Nimrod look. :3

It's from 2010, I think it's from an interview in Venezuela

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't help but feel disappointed. As it's already been mentioned, nudity, sex, etc. can be artistic, but from what I saw, it was just sleazy. Part of me wants to just go with it and take it the band just goofing around, but at the same time, it doesn't feel right. Especially after all the scantily clad women, the photo of Billie and Adrienne and Mike talking about his wife just made me feel kind of uncomfortable.

Yeah, yeah, I know, they're just having fun, but it just didn't seem like them...

i posted this in the random news thread, but since most of the discussion is happening here:

i think the main critic point isn't some half naked 20 year old girls in the video. girls are beautiful, why not show it? what matters is the context and the way they show them.

i think what most people hate is, that the scene where they come from wasn't about to find facile girls to fuck and act like rich arrogant rockstars. that is what punk was against at. one wanted to blast these millionairs and their music away who think they can buy everything, girls too. that was, what so many people liked about punk. a punk band wanted to be equal and close with the audience. but honestly: this video just continues the way, some green day fans wanted to see the band and what these fans really are. dumb groupies. "oh look he has a new eyeliner. but i liked his hair when he was blond more. billie marry me..." now you have them in the video... surely that is not the way they act backstage what even makes it more ridiculous and so non-authentic.

btw.: i don't use punk as a justification, it's just coincedence, that the way i like people to act, even if they are famous correspond with the values of punk.

The thing I don't like more is the interaction girls-band, I would have prefer a random guy doing whatever they want + band playing. It would have been fine. But this way.. No I'm sorry I dislike it. I hope the full thing will make me change my opinion. :S

I agree, it just makes me a little uncomfortable

i posted this in the random news thread, but since most of the discussion is happening here:

i think the main critic point isn't some half naked 20 year old girls in the video. girls are beautiful, why not show it? what matters is the context and the way they show them.

i think what most people hate is, that the scene where they come from wasn't about to find facile girls to fuck and act like rich arrogant rockstars. that is what punk was against at. one wanted to blast these millionairs and their music away who think they can buy everything, girls too. that was, what so many people liked about punk. a punk band wanted to be equal and close with the audience. but honestly: this video just continues the way, some green day fans wanted to see the band and what these fans really are. dumb groupies. "oh look he has a new eyeliner. but i liked his hair when he was blond more. billie marry me..." now you have them in the video... surely that is not the way they act backstage what even makes it more ridiculous and so non-authentic.

btw.: i don't use punk as a justification, it's just coincedence, that the way i like people to act, even if they are famous correspond with the values of punk.

what does 12 year old fangirls who wants to marry Billie have to do with Green Day and the half naked girls in this video? nothing.

Europe for Hermione and I

And me :P

what does 12 year old fangirls who wants to marry Billie have to do with Green Day and the half naked girls in this video?

superficiality. but this wasn't the core of my posting. i don't blame fans on here. just saying it was a logical way the band went. you don't attract those kind of fans for no reason... it just reaches its climax now. since AI the show and the image slowly became more important than the music and now its seems like its the most important thing about green day, like it is about all those shitty plastic popstars. don't wanna sound bitter, just an objective analysis.

But this video isn't showing what the band is. It's showing what the song is. It's not a documentary, it's there to visually represent or maybe add another meaning to the song. The song is about love, lust and desire, so it seems like this video is going to represent that in some way. Saying it's non-authentic is like saying the Nice Guys Finish Last video is non-authentic because Green Day isn't really a sports team. It's a fictional video about a song.

Also, who cares what kind of fans Green Day have or what other people think of their image? Personally I enjoy it when they irritate people with the things they do. As long I like what they're doing I'm not bothered, other people whinging about it just makes me laugh. Especially when they're getting irritated by a few seconds long clip of a video they haven't even seen yet :P

superficiality. but this wasn't the core of my posting. i don't blame fans on here. youst saying it was a logical way the band went. you don't attract those kind of fans for no reason... it just reaches its climax now. since AI the show and the image slowly became more important than the music and now its seems like its the most important thing about green day, like it is about all those shitty plastic popstars. don't wanna sound bitter, just an objective analysis.

It may seem like it to you, but not to me. I don't think it does to many people to be honest. And please, don't get popstars in this because the Spice Girls are popstars and they kick ass.

superficiality. but this wasn't the core of my posting. i don't blame fans on here. youst saying it was a logical way the band went. you don't attract those kind of fans for no reason... it just reaches its climax now. since AI the show and the image slowly became more important than the music and now its seems like its the most important thing about green day, like it is about all those shitty plastic popstars. don't wanna sound bitter, just an objective analysis.

the fans on here aren't like that.. sure we talk about their looks but why does that matter to you?

i think they're good looking and i talk about that too, but their looks isn't the reason I love Green Day. it's about the music, their personalities and all people i've got to know through them.

That was a kinda racist comment. I'll take it as you were joking.

Calm yo tits, qurl

I am totally joking. :bunny:

And how is that racist?! I didn't say anything about you being European. Haha.

I am totally joking. :bunny:

And how is that racist?! I didn't say anything about you being European. Haha.

You were just plainly telling me to shut up because I was European lol

I just think their looks will always have the same importance as now. I am the first one who doesn't want to have a new generation of fangirls and gruopies, so I hope we don't get one. Yet I guess if that happens the staff will find the right way to keep the fangirling out of here.

Just rewatched that first video interview about oh love and mike mentions there might be some fun scenes on motorcycles. I think this song is jut about freedom, and what's freedom if not naked women and bikes.

True. And didn't someone tweet a picture of a chipmunk/lion/something costume a few weeks ago? I'll be interested in seeing if/how that's going to be included. All this speculation is making me more excited to see what the actual video is going to be like, haha.

I'd laugh if now that sneek peek was a joke or something prepared to be misunderstood and we got a normal music video lol

True. And didn't someone tweet a picture of a chipmunk/lion/something costume a few weeks ago? I'll be interested in seeing if/how that's going to be included. All this speculation is making me more excited to see what the actual video is going to be like, haha.

Plot twist: Billie, Mike, and Tre ditch the half naked chicks to make out with a chipmunk.

The thing I don't like more is the interaction girls-band, I would have prefer a random guy doing whatever they want + band playing. It would have been fine.

But then it wouldn't have been daring ; putting a proxy in there would've let everyone off the hook - including the band, 'cause it would've made them arch observers of someone else's fantasy instead of putting themselves right in the thick of it. I think it was Mike who said these albums are 'almost voyeuristic', and that's what this video seems to be bringing on. 'Voyeuristic' should make you feel a little uncomfortable, like a peeping-tom - so yeah, you either want to turn away, or you want to keep watching. Interesting, ain't it? :)

I forgot about those girls on the Holiday video (and I LOVE that video)... and well, they have some on Hitchin' A Ride too, so...

Truth is, I don't care about the chicks or what they do (though I admit what the video is focus on isn't something I like 100%). But it's a 5 minute song and I've only seen a few seconds of it. I know I'll be laughing after watching it. All I care about is Green Day.

it isn't. I read an interview with Bob Gruen, who have been to maaaaaaaaaaany Green Day shows.. and he said Green Day is a band who mostly have family and friends backstage, nothing else.

It definitely isn't. But why would it be? This is a music video, a visual representation of or accompaniment to a song. It represents the lyrics and feel of the song, not the band in their real life. Anything they do in this video is just acting.

Everyone knows Green Day hangs out with groupies and has sex backstage while getting drunk and doing drugs. Rock and roll, baby!

I was being dryly sardonic in response to Billie's comment about a "backstage feel".

I am going to reserve judgment until I've seen the full video, but the little that I did see fits the interpretation of the song perfectly for me. Definitely some sexual tension going on there, lol. Maybe we'll get to see one of them taking a cold shower at the end of the video? :lol: Or who knows, maybe it's all just a fantasy one of the guys is having?

I think the important thing to remember is that it's a VIDEO - not a home-movie. There's acting going on.

I've read a lot recently about how these new songs are so different from anything the band has ever done before. Maybe the videos will be, too? Maybe they're trying to push the envelope in a different way than they ever have before? Maybe they are getting older and things are changing, people change, the way they look at life changes - this is where they are in their lives atm. They are writing and creating art from this point - not from 1995 or 2005, but from today. And because they are all 40ish, not 25 anymore, things are gonna be written from the point of view of a 40 year old. Y'know?

This has been on my mind for a while, prob since the whole debate about The Voice came up, but I think some people put Green Day on a pedestal and portray their own expectations on how they feel the guys should be, or act, or make music, or create art. And once that expectation goes beyond what we've created in our own minds (because let's face it, no one here knows exactly what these guys feel or want or think all the time, but we certainly act as if we do sometimes...), we get disappointed.

I'm not saying I love everything they do blindly because I do not, but I do try to see things from their perspective, keep an open mind, and understand where they are coming from before I judge. From the moment I started loving this band, they have earned my respect and have never let me down before.

Anyway, I am really, really excited to see the rest of this video!

But then it wouldn't have been daring ; putting a proxy in there would've let everyone off the hook - including the band, 'cause it would've made them arch observers of someone else's fantasy instead of putting themselves right in the thick of it. I think it was Mike who said these albums are 'almost voyeuristic', and that's what this video seems to be bringing on. 'Voyeuristic' should make you feel a little uncomfortable, like a peeping-tom - so yeah, you either want to turn away, or you want to keep watching. Interesting, ain't it? :)

I think it was Billie in one of the studio updates (which seems to have mysteriously disappeared from YouTube.......), and he was talking about one of the songs be almost voyeuristic in its approach. Definitely excited to hear that song :D

I am going to reserve judgment until I've seen the full video, but the little that I did see fits the interpretation of the song perfectly for me. Definitely some sexual tension going on there, lol. Maybe we'll get to see one of them taking a cold shower at the end of the video? :lol: Or who knows, maybe it's all just a fantasy one of the guys is having?

I think the important thing to remember is that it's a VIDEO - not a home-movie. There's acting going on.

I've read a lot recently about how these new songs are so different from anything the band has ever done before. Maybe the videos will be, too? Maybe they're trying to push the envelope in a different way than they ever have before? Maybe they are getting older and things are changing, people change, the way they look at life changes - this is where they are in their lives atm. They are writing and creating art from this point - not from 1995 or 2005, but from today. And because they are all 40ish, not 25 anymore, things are gonna be written from the point of view of a 40 year old. Y'know?

This has been on my mind for a while, prob since the whole debate about The Voice came up, but I think some people put Green Day on a pedestal and portray their own expectations on how they feel the guys should be, or act, or make music, or create art. And once that expectation goes beyond what we've created in our own minds (because let's face it, no one here knows exactly what these guys feel or want or think all the time, but we certainly act as if we do sometimes...), we get disappointed.

I'm not saying I love everything they do blindly because I do not, but I do try to see things from their perspective, keep an open mind, and understand where they are coming from before I judge. From the moment I started loving this band, they have earned my respect and have never let me down before.

Anyway, I am really, really excited to see the rest of this video!

Well said! I agree 100%

Yeh, I'm not going to judge until I see the full music video. Tht snek pek could possibly be missing the whole ide of the video.

PS - Sorry. Some of my keys on my keybord stopped working tonight. It sucks.

All I know for sure about this video is that it's going to be completely polarizing, which might be exactly what they were going for. Well, that and

tumblr_m7d360lIqQ1r3tkho.gif

Archived