Uno, Dos, Tres: Top 5 Ways Green Day Has Sold Out the Punx

desertrose

In the wake of Nirvana, the major-label punk-rock gold rush of the '90s ripped open the underground like a vulture picking at a fresh carcass. And with their acclaimed, multiplatinum breakthrough, Dookie, Green Day were the ultimate symbol of moving from the secret world of house shows and Food Not Bombs to the egregious swank of Green Room culture.

Ever since, it seems like Billie Joe Armstrong, Tre Cool, and Mike Dirnt have been hellbent on committing every nonpunk act in the book. They've even announced a new concept album trilogy -- titled, respectively, Uno, Dos, and Tres. Didn't these guys learn anything from the Clash's Sandinista? Punks hate concept albums and trilogies.

This kind of baiting is nothing new. Check out our top five indulgences

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2012/04/green_day_sell_out_uno_dos_tres_punk.php

I'm tempted to close this simply because I don't give a fuck about the intolerances of the elitist so-called "punk community." However, I am curious to see the coolest way in which our users can rip this article to shreds.

Fuck you, faux-punks. You're not cool.

328722-office-psychopaths-are-real.jpg

No, but seriously. Green Day don't wave around a punk flag. It's not their fault that the media throws around the word like it's nothing. I'm not even going to say they ARE punk, because I haven't lived the DIY lifestyle, and I seriously doubt the writer of the article has either.

Punk can't really be defined. Purists or not.

The ignorance and arrogance of this guy is overwhelming, though. It's like "Here's some petty-thing that Green Day may or may not do, let's just crucify them"

Like the superbowl thing, wtf?

^ Same.

And I'm getting serious vibes that this guy never liked Green Day from the start, so I'm doubtful he can be at all objective about them.

What is with the last one? They haven't done the superbowl yet, so don't they cants say they sold out for that. Actually, just don't even say that they sold out. So the article is saying that Green Day have sold out and done everything "non punk". Well, who said that Green Day had to stick to doing what people considered punk and not doing what was thought of as being not punk. I mean, what is punk? I didnt think there were things that are punk and things that arent. Green Day should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want, whether it be release trilogy albums or make a musical, without being called sellouts for "not being punk", whatever they mean by that

Alright, I'm gonna close this. It's not going to lead to any meaningful discussion, other than variations on "omg Green Day aren't sellouts." Best to just ignore articles like this. There's always going to be some elitist dicks who turn up their nose at the majority of "punk" bands (despite Green Day having a very punk work ethic, if not necessarily writing style). They're not worth bothering with, and they represent the stupidity that punk was supposed to counter in the first place.

Archived