Green Day Across the World is being closed

Fuzz

The crazy fucking coot finally fessed up?! Thank shit --- This moment was well overdue.

And yeah, I realise this post is highly unclassy and most probably not politically correct, but c'mon. This is GDC, we don't have to be tactful and well worded 24/7 --- That's exactly what caused this problem in the first place.

If we had've addressed Dawn's issues in a normal GDC manner to begin with, maybe we wouldn't have had to go through all of this. Not to say we should start taking a 4Chan approach on things, but not cautiously tip toeing around suspicious types in the future might be of benefit to the entire community ... Y'know?

And Anja, if you absolutely must continue celebrating Day Of The Dawn, at least give a different name ... Geez.

Can you do me a favor and grow up please? Thanks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do feel sorry for Dawn and wonder what has brought her to such a point in her life that this lying would be necessary. Hopefully, she will get whatever help is needed, but will get it far away from Green Day and the Green Day fans.

I can see Mallory's points as well, however. She mentioned that she was berated pretty heavily via PM back when she first started questioning Dawn's honesty and motives, the first one to openly do that.

The crazy fucking coot finally fessed up?! Thank shit --- This moment was well overdue.

And yeah, I realise this post is highly unclassy and most probably not politically correct, but c'mon. This is GDC, we don't have to be tactful and well worded 24/7 --- That's exactly what caused this problem in the first place.

If we had've addressed Dawn's issues in a normal GDC manner to begin with, maybe we wouldn't have had to go through all of this. Not to say we should start taking a 4Chan approach on things, but not cautiously tip toeing around suspicious types in the future might be of benefit to the entire community ... Y'know?

And Anja, if you absolutely must continue celebrating Day Of The Dawn, at least give a different name ... Geez.

I think perhaps your idea of "a normal GDC manner" might not be the same as others.

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it.

It's really sad to hear something like this, but I think it's just best the way it came and I'm glad that everyone got to know the truth now.

Hopefully we'll be able to carry on with this, because it was a great idea with good intentions, as it was said before. :thumbsup:

I can see Mallory's points as well, however. She mentioned that she was berated pretty heavily via PM back when she first started questioning Dawn's honesty and motives, the first one to openly do that.

If Mallory was berated by Dawn herself (and no, I do not know anything about this firsthand or otherwise), that's one thing -- anger at Dawn would be well placed there. But if she's pissed at the way she was treated by other members of GDC in response to her expressing suspicions about GDATW's bona-fides, then that anger is more appropriately directed to those persons and our community in general -- as there would be some hard questions we'd need to be asking ourselves about our own behavior. Calling Dawn a "crazy fucking coot" in response to the way she was treated by others would be, in my opinion, out of line.

Yeah.....

This is quite saddening, ut what has to be done has to be done...

Green Day Across the Universe?

Green Day Across the Universe?

Words are flowing out like

endless rain into a paper cup

They slither while they pass

They slip away across the universe

Pools of sorrow waves of joy

are drifting through my open mind

Possessing and caressing me...

I feel a bit ambivilant about the name change to be honest. I mean, the name was chosen by the members of this forum (and I remember clearyl how long it took to agree on one) and has therefore not much to do with Dawn or with what she did. Also, it's the name people (who attented and who didn't) know this event by and if we changed it, some people might get confused about it, I don't know.

As for my comment about us moving on from GDATW, I meant moving on entirely from the organization that has become. I absolutely want us to reconsider the idea in some way and help organize fans to come together and do some good in their communities, I just want us to do it differently and do it better without trying to pick up pieces left after all this.

it is what it is at this point, name calling isnt necessary and is just plain immature. lesson learned, I personally would like to move on and brainstorm about what anyone would like to do for 2012. I loved getting together with gd fans in my area which wouldnt have otherwise happened.

I feel a bit ambivilant about the name change to be honest. I mean, the name was chosen by the members of this forum (and I remember clearyl how long it took to agree on one) and has therefore not much to do with Dawn or with what she did. Also, it's the name people (who attented and who didn't) know this event by and if we changed it, some people might get confused about it, I don't know.

The problem if you don't change the name would be that it would continue to conjure up a very, very negative association for a lot of people. It was definitely *the* perfect name for the project, but because of what's happened I think we're going to have to go back to the drawing board. :(

If Mallory was berated by Dawn herself (and no, I do not know anything about this firsthand or otherwise), that's one thing -- anger at Dawn would be well placed there. But if she's pissed at the way she was treated by other members of GDC in response to her expressing suspicions about GDATW's bona-fides, then that anger is more appropriately directed to those persons and our community in general -- as there would be some hard questions we'd need to be asking ourselves about our own behavior. Calling Dawn a "crazy fucking coot" in response to the way she was treated by others would be, in my opinion, out of line.

Michael, I'm just remembering Mallory saying in one of these recent threads (and I am sure she will speak for herself here if I'm wrong) that she got a ton of angry PM's from "older" GDC members in response to her posts questioning and challenging Dawn. And yeah, she doesn't exactly mince words, then or now apparently! :lol:

As one of the two people who didn't get the items they ordered, I just wanted to thank everyone who helped out in sorting all of this through. It's incredibly sad, reading everything that's happened - there'll be other people out there like me (it took me months to realise I should check GDC or the Facebook page to see if I was being scammed or my item had genuinely been lost in transit!) as looking at the amazon store page, there's at least one other piece of negative feedback about not receiving something. I know people can easily get very caught up in lies, and start to believe them themselves, but I'm just glad everyone's getting some closure about this. (And I think this is actually my first post here after lurking for months... strange way to start!)

Please stop enjoying this so much.

First and foremost, if you ordered something from the GDATW charity auctions and did not receive your items, you should talk to PayPal and Amazon and file a claim for a refund. PayPal has a limit of 45 days, but it may still be worth your time to try and get a refund. I don't believe Amazon has a time-limit (within reason), as long as you can prove you didn't get your items and paid for them.

Just had a thought from having been a one-time practicing lawyer -- Depending on the way the refund policies are worded (and perhaps more importantly, regardless of the way they are worded) -- one could have a strong argument that the refund period would begin when you first became aware that a fraud occurred. Whatever else you do, anyone who was directly affected by this should not delay in filing refund requests now that the facts are out.

The problem if you don't change the name would be that it would continue to conjure up a very, very negative association for a lot of people. It was definitely *the* perfect name for the project, but because of what's happened I think we're going to have to go back to the drawing board. :(

I'm with Michael on this one. Plus, the name isn't that much of a deal anyway; it's the community bonding that counts. Surely a new one will evolve from the embers and we can have a great event in 2012.

I totally remember reading what Mallory wrote w.r.t. Dawn's website and thinking wtf? I did not understand why Mallory was taking such offense to Dawn creating a website with whatever platform (sorry, non-techie here) she was using. Mallory caught on very early that shit didnt add up with GDATW but I (and I am sure many others) did not understand her attacks on Dawn and felt they were compeletely unfounded and rude as shit.

I think some folks around here tried to bring stuff to light and were shut down time and again. This includes Marian (sp?) who went to the trouble to investigage and uncovered a ton of shit and got some smackdown in the last thread. I think lots of folks on this board are owed some apologies.

Most of us always wanted to give Dawn the benefit of the doubt and we all had a tremendous amount of compassion for her but Mallory is right, she turned out to be nothing short of one sick demented fuck.

I'm thinking something like 'Green For A Day', but whatever I'm sure everyone will come up with something awesome.

That's a nice wordplay off of "King For A Day," actually..... It's growing on me. :)

I'm thinking something like 'Green For A Day', but whatever I'm sure everyone will come up with something awesome.

I like that...

We had this one in the poll last year actually. It was my favorite.

And it still is.

I think some folks around here tried to bring stuff to light and were shut down time and again. This includes Marian (sp?) who went to the trouble to investigage and uncovered a ton of shit and got some smackdown in the last thread. I think lots of folks on this board are owed some apologies.

I stand by what I said in that thread. Even if the worst was true, which much of it seems to be, I'll never support our forum being used as a place for people to gather and go after an individual. Facts should be shared, but that thread wasn't filled with a lot of facts, it was filled with a lot of speculation. As I mentioned there as well, GDC isn't an investigative newsroom or a law firm. It's not right for us to use this platform to build a case against someone. The reason I have a problem with it is because the second that type of attention is given to someone who's innocent, then we've fucked up. Our community should not be about a public lynching.

the second that type of attention is given to someone who's innocent, then we've fucked up.

....and as the site owner, you'd potentially face liability for libel. That alone is enough of a reason to shutter discussions impacting someone's reputation. Whether truthful or not, and as much of an open/unrestricted forum as you normally try to run here, discussions, investigations, and information sharing about these sorts of problems need to be dealt with elsewhere.

(removing General Counsel hat now :D)

I stand by what I said in that thread. Even if the worst was true, which much of it seems to be, I'll never support our forum being used as a place for people to gather and go after an individual. Facts should be shared, but that thread wasn't filled with a lot of facts, it was filled with a lot of speculation. As I mentioned there as well, GDC isn't an investigative newsroom or a law firm. It's not right for us to use this platform to build a case against someone. The reason I have a problem with it is because the second that type of attention is given to someone who's innocent, then we've fucked up. Our community should not be about a public lynching.

I understand where you're coming from, particularly the public lynching stuff or the way Mallory's tone is in her post regarding the "coot" comment or even Abbey with the "demented fuck." Everyone expresses themselves a bit different, and some things can be over the line, especially in anger. With Marian, I just would like to point out that her posts were from coming from a point of ex-military anger, being that she and other close members of her family are also ex-military. So, if they sounded harsh, that is the reason why, I think. I know that she was a little upset in that thread after posting stuff.

Ah and also, Marian is a lawyer, so is coming from it that way, too.

Anyway, I'm going to stay out of this now I think until I write whatever hangover boozy, middle-aged blog post I may come up with. I just had penne ala vodka. I'm boozing it up early.

whatever hangover boozy, middle-aged blog post I may come up with. I just had penne ala vodka. I'm started early.

Oh wow, friends shouldn't let friends drink'n'write -- dangerous territory you get into, yes! Just promise me you'll re-read it after the hangover wears off before you hit "post"!

Archived