King For A Day

pasalaska

One of my favourite songs from Nimrod. Its so great especially listening and seeing it live...Green Day get the audience involved so much in the song...and best of all, i love the way they dress :lol:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much win right there. :)

I love this song live, it's great. I just like the fact they generally stretch it out so long... I remember it being brill at Wembley and then seeing a review of the show in NME afterwards where they slagged off the "goofiness" of King For A Day... I was a little bit pissed because surely the whole point of a Green Day show is to have fun? For it not all to be taken seriously?!

Honestly, this song should never be dropped from the set llist, even if it goes for ages. It is just so much fun live, and what makes it even more special is how it was never a single or anything, but the band still choose to play it every single night. I would be incredibly disappointed if they drpped this one, because it is so amazing to watch live, and a great song in general.

I agree that they should never drop it, but if they start playing 1 hour, 45 minute shows or even two hour shows on the next tour, they should shorten it up some.

I think part of the reason it was so long, particularly on the summer 2010 North American tour, is that they were playing three hour shows and Billie Joe needed a break. At Chula Vista, he spent a good part of the Shout medley lying down onstage and singing whatever random bits of songs he could fit to the melody. Looked like a nice little five-minute rest from sprinting across the stage dodging pyro (although I was surprised to see them use pyro during Shout--hadn't seen it performed that way in any videos or live recordings).

Do you have a video of that night?

Amazing song! I really wish it had a video! I remember the first time I listened to it. I laughed so hard at it and now, I think I laugh even harder just remembering all the live videos of this song I've seen! :D

I love it best from 21CB.

Also during it's most resent live parts Billie plays every instrument.

I love it cause it's different!

This and Misery are songs that I didn't expect to hear when I started to get serious about buying all the albums and learning ALL the lyrics. I hadn't heard them before I got the CD's.

It's the perfect moshpit song.

One of the most comical GD songs everrr! :lol: It sounds like a circus song or something like that. It's my favorite from BIAB :D

And mixed with Shout makes it even more funny, I love when each one of the guys sing the part of "I want you to know..."

I love King for a day! It's the most powerful (I actually don't know which words to use for explaining the way i feel :happy:) song and I think they should never stop playing it. I start smiling everytime I hear it just because there's so much good energy in it :woot:

It's the perfect moshpit song.

I really can't see such a great moshpit with that.

Good moshpit songs are Platypus, Take Back and a couple of songs from Insomniac, but not King For A Day.

Ahh I love this song so much! And it is and (I hope) always will be THE highlight of any Green Day show I attend. I will write more about my love for it soon haha but I must just say how much I love that Goat Island video :lol:. Billie and Mike's "horn" duet is one of the best things I have ever seen :woot:

FUN.

I mean people like things for a variety of reasons. Excitement, shock or whatever. Personally, I think the best things in life are fun things, and this is exactly what King For a Day is. For every Jesus of Suburbia that really makes you think and feel an emotional connection, there is one of these songs. And I'll always be grateful that it exist, because this song actually never fails to bring a smile to my face. Never fails.

I can still remember in '97, maybe '98, when I was in high school and my best friend (at the time) handed me her headphones and said something along the lines of "You gotta hear this new Green Day song. It's hilarious!!" and me being all "Who the hell is Green Day??" So I listened to this song, not knowing what to expect. I was instantly hooked. I borrowed the cassette and listened to the whole thing over and over all that day. Green Day quickly became my favorite band and has been ever since. I've seen them live twice on the AI tour and they did this song both times. It really is an amazing experience.

(This is my first post, by the way!!)

I can still remember in '97, maybe '98, when I was in high school and my best friend (at the time) handed me her headphones and said something along the lines of "You gotta hear this new Green Day song. It's hilarious!!" and me being all "Who the hell is Green Day??" So I listened to this song, not knowing what to expect. I was instantly hooked. I borrowed the cassette and listened to the whole thing over and over all that day. Green Day quickly became my favorite band and has been ever since. I've seen them live twice on the AI tour and they did this song both times. It really is an amazing experience.

(This is my first post, by the way!!)

Welcome to the forum! What a fabulous way to get hooked on the band! Quite jealous that it wasn't the first song of theirs I heard :lol:

I love this song so much! It's just so much fun, it's energetic and one of my ultimate favorite songs I've heard live! :woot: The whole thing, starting with KFAD, then the medley and Shout. Ah, love it so much. Probably even my favorite part of the whole show! The feeling of being at a Green Day show is idk, liberating and so awesome, a feeling I can't really describe. So same with hearing King for a Day, it's just so great. Memories I'll never forget. :wub: And I'll never throw away the kazoo, or else I'd throw away part of my memory, haha

King for a Day is by far one of my all-time favorite Green Day songs and has been since I heard Nimrod. It just comes across as a fun song that you can't help but sing along and dance to, and is of course I hit during live shows! My favourite part of the song is the chorus.

I love this song so much. The lyrics are awesome and every time I'm in a store that sells underpants I ask if they've ever sold a leather thong. It's amazing live and when I saw the live show last year, that was definately the highlight of the night, it's like perfection when played live. All in all, I loved the song and I was quite sad it didn't make it onto Awesome As Fuck. Amazing song.

Archived