Maria

justcause

I started to like Maria even more after he changed the lyrics, to be honest... :whistle

She's the first, but I like more Whatsername.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always assumed this song was written around Billie's piano teacher, Maria Fiatarone (totally probably spelt that wrong) seen as she's the one interviewing him at the beginning of the track after they recorded Look for Love on Fiat Records. A real awesome track and a real awesome gal. :happy:

I always assumed this song was written around Billie's piano teacher, Maria Fiatarone (totally probably spelt that wrong) seen as she's the one interviewing him at the beginning of the track after they recorded Look for Love on Fiat Records. A real awesome track and a real awesome gal. :happy:

Cool! I didn't know she was called Maria! The original version (it was a Warning b-side originally) doesn't have the clip at the beginning, so I'm thinking it's the other way round and they put the clip of Maria Fiatarone on the song because the song's called Maria. Which is really sweet :happy:

Maria is the definition of an energetic song! :runaround: Kick-ass on stage! Love it!

I love this song! I have always wished I could be a little more like the girl described in this song...

It's never been one of my favourite songs really, I mean I like the words and it's catchy but it's not one of GD's best by any means in my opinion.

But, seeing it live for the first time in Prague was AWESOME. I mean, like DAMN. We all freaked out and were screaming the words, and then a few lines in we realised that Billie was singing the second verse first, and we all kinda looked at each other like 'we're right, right? he's wrong? yeah, it's not just me' :lol:

Awesome song. I think it showed a little bit of what the style would be for American Idiot but thats my opinion.

Andi love the Billie Joe interview snippet at the start :woot:

Yeah, Maria is a great song. It was a cool opener at the Pop Disatser tour in 2002, especially with the pyro. The interaction of guitar and drums makes me love the song the most. Really good tune :)

great song, really catchy and awesome to sing along to in the car :D

I love Maria! Such an amazing song! I always thought that Maria was punk personified. (:

It's weird knowing I've met Maria (if the song is about who I think it is about) and everything I know about her, I know from a song.

I remember listening to it for the first time thinking "who the hell is that kid and what are they talking about?" :lol: I really love this song for many reasons. It's not my favorite but still I think it's one of the most underrated Green Day songs.

I really like it, probably wouldn't quite put it in my 'favourites' list, but it's not far off.

Back in, I think 2005, whenever I was at my friends house she'd put on International Superhits, (she was the crazy Green Day fan back then, no idea if she still likes them, haven't seen her in years) so obviously I'd hear this song most often. My early education in Green Day. Ah, good times... :happy:

Oh, and a few years back, during my acting course at college I played a character called Maria (and no, it wasn't West Side Story. Or the Sound of Music), and was constantly listening to this song in the time leading up to our performance.

It's weird knowing I've met Maria (if the song is about who I think it is about) and everything I know about her, I know from a song.

I remember listening to it for the first time thinking "who the hell is that kid and what are they talking about?" :lol: I really love this song for many reasons. It's not my favorite but still I think it's one of the most underrated Green Day songs.

So who do you think the song is about?

I'm curious. :)

Ive heard green day play this song before aswell. It's amazing. I personally love the ISH version more than the warning one. I guess because of the intro. :lol:

I must say that I have a hard time picking a favorite behind Green Day's female characters. They're all pretty badass frankly. I interpret Maria as the one who stands up for the ones who can't do it themselves and that she defends herself and others against the system (hence the line "She smashed the radio with the board of education.") That is my opinion at least.

I love this song! I remember when I heard in 2005 I went fucking crazy! I seriously couldn't believe they'd play it... and then hearing it again at the Nokia show was pretty bitchin' too. I prefer the ISH version mostly because of the intro and how it kicks in. I wish they'd play this track more often; it's a lot of fun live.

Are there two versions of Maria? I heard there was but i can't find the other version :unsure:

Are there two versions of Maria? I heard there was but i can't find the other version :unsure:

There's the one on International Superhits! which most people have heard and it was also a B-side to Waiting:

I love this song! :D

It's like punk personified, or songified? :huh:

There's the one on International Superhits! which most people have heard and it was also a B-side to Waiting:

Thank you very much :D

Archived