It appears a good majority of Green Day fans are now girls

Axel

I don't know why though, maybe it's because Billie Joe, or Green Day's music is just really girly, (Witch it isn't) Cause I remember going to a Green Day Concert sometime around the year 2000 and the audience was pretty much 3/4 guys, most from ages 18-25 (Just a guess, there were kids, but very few) But now whenever I watch live performances nowadays, the front rows are usually filled with 12-14 year old girls screaming out "Billie Joe!!!!" making the concert look more like a Justin Bieber concert then a Green Day concert at times. You might all flame me for making this thread, but seriously, even click on a thread in this section of the forum and look at every poster's gender, most of the time you get "female". I'm not saying Green Day's new music is bad, but it seems that it has attracted a lot more younger fanbase, mainly consisting of girls, but who knows, I may be wrong about this observation I'm making. I also just want to say I have no problem with female Green Day fans, if anything, it's pretty damn hot. As long as they aren't totally obsessive over Billie Joe and actually know Green Day's music. (39/Smooth, Kerplunk, etc etc,)

And I'm not saying Green Day should have NO girl fans,

Flame me if you wish. or you can make a constructive discussion out of this.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I know what you mean. Billie has said that he writes songs from a girl's perspective (One for the Razorbacks, Westbound Sign, Letterbomb, She, Viva la Gloria, atc.) so I think its natural for a lot of girls to gravitate toward their music.

But, in the last few years, I think the female fanbase has increased due to the popularity of the band and maybe becasue of their appearences. I think if this is the case though, most of those focused solely on "OMG BILLIEBILLIEBILLIE" would fade away and leave only genuine fans of the music.

You might all flame me for making this thread, but seriously, even click on a thread in this section of the forum and look at every poster's gender, most of the time you get "female".

That just means that a larger percentage of GDC is female and we're all aware of this. but that doesn't mean the majority of Green Day fans are female.

Sure, the band has its fair share of teenies but a lot of the girls on the barricade at Green Day shows are pretty diehard fans.

I think it's all really sweet. I give tons of credit to Green Day for having sex appeal. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Plus, there are more male Green Day fans than can be measured on GDC. It takes a lot of guts for the average guy to join a fan forum. xD I think girls are just naturally more attracted to that sort of thing.

That just means that a larger percentage of GDC is female and we're all aware of this. but that doesn't mean the majority of Green Day fans are female.

Sure, the band has its fair share of teenies but a lot of the girls on the barricade at Green Day shows are pretty diehard fans.

Yes, but this part of my post wasn't my main structure of my argument

I'm a huge fan of the inspiring beautiful words that come from the minds of Billie, Mike and Tre, and I totes j'adore their smexaynesh.

So, just cause we're at the barricade going "Oh my god Billie, I LOVE YOU!" doesn't mean we aren't fans of the music. And besides, what band doesn't have girls pawning after them because of their looks?

Yeah, I mean if you're at a show and you just look around, there seems to be at least 2 times more girls than guys there. But I have to disagree about a bunch of little teenies everywhere. To me, the barricade seems to consist of 16-20 year old girls, other die hard fans, and then there's the ones that get lucky and make their way up there. But I think that Green Day has quite the varied fan base too. Like when I was in the pit, there were plently of young adults, parents, and a few kids there.

Yes, but this part of my post wasn't my main structure of my argument

but you still used it to support your argument...

I think a lot of their music is very easy for girls to relate to. Many are written from a supposedly feminine perspective, So it's no surprise that they have a lot of girl fans.

But I think they're about equal when it comes to the gender of their fans. Just look at their concerts; I don't see one outweighing the other.

Although I do think female fans tend to be -for lack of a better word- louder about their interest for the band and the music. It's very presumptuous to say there are more female fans than male fans. And there is no solid way to prove for or against the argument.

And can we not go into a teenie bashing conversation? We all know they are annoying. So just ignore it and move on. It is not worth discussion.

yea at the shoreline show i was in the pit for a while and whenever billie would come near us all the girls would freak out and lean over and want to touch him lol. kinda annoying...

yes im a girl

yes i like Green Day

yes my 2nd favorite album 1039/Smoothed out Slappy Hours

Hmmm, I always got the screaming 12-14 year old vibe more from online communities than from the shows.

Actually, one thing that has always impressed me about Green Day is the wide range of people they attract. People of all gender, ages, and background shell out money to see those guys and have their asses rocked off. There will always be a group of people, usually girls, who are there just because it's fashionable, and granted I always overhear a couple "lyke OMG" conversations that make me roll my eyes. Green Day are more popular now than they were in 2000 so of course there are going to be *more* of those people, but hardly enough to qualify it as a Justin Bieber concert. I mean, you hear an arena or ampitheatre full of people singing back the lyrics and you just know that 85-90% of the people there are fans that know their shit.

I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is while the fanbase might be a little different than in 2000, I don't think the ratios of male/female and old/young are as uneven as you're making them out to be.

Not all girls are obnoxious teenies only listening to them because the guys are attractive.

Being a girl has nothing to do with it.... :rolleyes:

The guys could be the ugliest men on the face of the planet and they'd still make the most kickass music in the world.

I'd also like to add that, yes, those girls who are all "OMG BILLY JO TOUCH ME!!" are annoying. When me and my friend were at AI some girl was practically hyperventilating because she touched Billie's arm and it was like :dry:

But not all girls are like that.

I'm a girl and I like good music

end of.

THIS. :thumbsup:

> saying you like good music

> good music is based on opinions

you like, missed my point..

It appears a good majority of Green Day are girls.

:lol:

Not all girls are obnoxious teenies only listening to them because the guys are attractive.

Being a girl has nothing to do with it.... :rolleyes:

The guys could be the ugliest men on the face of the planet and they'd still make the most kickass music in the world.

THIS

So............ What was the point of this thread? Green Day has more female fans? Good for them, I guess?

:mellow:

Oh, also I think something else that should be considered is that a larger and younger female base is a symptom of promotion and popularity, not necessarily the music itself.

I wasn't a fan yet when Dookie came out, but my understanding is that with nearly every song off that album being a hit single, there were suddenly a lot of twelve year olds singing "When I Come Around" and the girls reading Tiger Beat drawing hearts around Billie's face. Each succeeding album saw a slight drop in sales and hit songs, which meant fewer new fans were joining the ranks (whether for love of the music or the love of being "in"). American Idiot was like Dooke-mania 2.0, and again you had the twelve year olds. But when you reach those people who become just fair weather fans, you also reach people who will be fans for life. It just comes with the territory of being exposed to millions of different people. But because you get those honest fans who will long outlast the 14 year old who thinks Billie is hot, I think it all evens out in the end.

And as for why more girls become screaming fans...I don't know. It's nothing new. Look at the Beatles.

Annnnnnd, I think partly why people are taking offense is because the way you worded it made it sound like you think the girls and woman on this board are the same as the 12-14 year old teenies. And it's kind of sexist to suggest that a girl is only a fan if she meets certain criteria (no obsessing and is a fan of early songs), but that if a dude is a fan, then he's a fan no questions asked.

I think it's just that the people who join fansites like GDC are more likely to be girls. I don't think too many guys would want to be known as obsessive/diehard Green Day fans. Girls are just more likely to do fan-type stuff, so if you look at the people on GDC you're gonna think all GD fans are girls, when it's really just HUGE fans like us that are more likely to be girls. It's probably like that with any band.

oi this again.

all mainstream musical groups with men get lots of fangirls. it's just the natural way of things.

Aye, I am a female and I do like the image they've given themselves but I've been a fan all these years for the music.. I would say 98% of the girls on here feel the same way as me; we love the music but just happen to be girls xD

Archived