Broadway Star one Week, Rock Star the next

greendaytone

Within a week Billie Joe went from performing St. Jimmy on Broadway to taking the stage as the front man for Green Day. How many other performers can claim something like that?

I'm intrigued about what that transition has been like and whether his Broadway experience will have any effect on his performance on stage for Green Day in South America, and onwards.

If it's possible, he may have become even more of a showman! :D

What do you guys think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think being on the stage as Green Day and being on the stage as St Jimmy

are two completely different things.

he is just something else all together when he is on that stage with the band.

it's actually unreal.

i don't think St. Jimmy could have any impact on that.

if anything, it will give him an amazing experience to remember for a lifetime.

He's just so talented.

I bet some of things he learned on Broadway will show when he's performing with Green Day.

Well, he's clearly more eager to play shirtless. :thumbsup:

Haha, I'm hoping that it inspires him to be more creative on stage (although he is already very entertaining, its hard to imagine he could do anything more). It may alter his perspective a little and he may think of the shows from a more theatrical point of view.

:lol: Yes, I thought of that when i saw Holiday in Colombia!

mmm. funny you should ask, i have been inquiring these same thoughts.

Haha, just saw your signature! Love it, "your answer is invalid." lol.

Runs to find Holiday in Colombia...

yes this whole imma just unbutton my shirt and fully expose my self attitude is defiantly a pleasing thing to see :eyebrow: . And I'm not quite sure if it will make him more of a show man....I think he was able to do Broadway because he has always been a showman.

yes this whole imma just unbutton my shirt and fully expose my self attitude is defiantly a pleasing thing to see :eyebrow: . And I'm not quite sure if it will make him more of a show man....I think he was able to do Broadway because he has always been a showman.

I agree, but I don't think he's fully unleashed his "showman" tendencies yet (hard as that may be to believe). I think it's possible that we'll see some effect from his stint on Broadway (short as it was). And I hope to see him perform the role on Broadway, so I hope he's getting more and more in touch with his inner "showman" so that he won't be able to keep it from coming out during the shows :).

Billie Joe says that trying new things will always be one of the most exciting aspects of his life, and after seeing how well he carried out his role in the musical and how much he loved doing that, it's not surprising that he'd want to incorporate more of the theater-style performing into certain parts of the Green Day live shows. :)

I haven't seen any video from South America yet, but I can't wait to check them out when I get the time.

I'm sure that performing with the cast as a cast member has pushed him in a slightly different direction that he's not used to. I think it might have changed the way he performs with Green Day but not dramatically. He's still going to be the Billie Joe that we know and love.

I could imagine that he's extremely proud of himself, not just from performing as a cast member but of the whole experience (AI becoming a broadway show). He said himself that the cast and everyone involved with the show are the most talented people he's ever met, so to know that he stands a chance with them, is an honor.. and I'm sure that the cast and everyone thinks that about him as well.

I think his Broadway experience will only enhance his concert performances. And vice versa.

I'm sure that performing with the cast as a cast member has pushed him in a slightly different direction that he's not used to. I think it might have changed the way he performs with Green Day but not dramatically. He's still going to be the Billie Joe that we know and love.

I could imagine that he's extremely proud of himself, not just from performing as a cast member but of the whole experience (AI becoming a broadway show). He said himself that the cast and everyone involved with the show are the most talented people he's ever met, so to know that he stands a chance with them, is an honor.. and I'm sure that the cast and everyone thinks that about him as well.

THIS :)

He's still the same Billie Joe. I remember when I saw him in the musical, I could see aspects of how he performs at concerts, like the break dancing and hand gestures, etc. So I guess he can now draw on both experiences when he's on stage. Either way, his stage presence is just incredible.

for a moment I thought you said 'Holiday in Cambodia' and I was freaking out a little because I'd love to see them cover that, but I was sadly mistaken.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Damn you Billie Joe for making other guys look bad :P

for a moment I thought you said 'Holiday in Cambodia' and I was freaking out a little because I'd love to see them cover that, but I was sadly mistaken.

Same here, same here! For a second I thought they did a cover of "Holiday in Cambodia" and I went like woooooot! Too bad :(

I bet some of things he learned on Broadway will show when he's performing with Green Day.

I'd like to see him incoporate some of the cherographed dancing into the normal shows :lol:

I think 21st Century Breakdown will be known for the tour :) I mean, as good as the album is the shows have just been unreal :blink: I think if Billie's taken anything from Broadway it'll be in his voice... I don't know if it was just me but I was surprised at how much better he was when he was in the musical! Especially when I watched the video of Homecoming :D

Yeah I agree. I knew he was a good singer but his voice on Broadway just blew me away, especially in LNOE and Homecoming :o

Yeah I really believe that the Billie Joe's version of the character of St.Jimmy has got a lot of his stage persona/action/behaviour etc mixed in. Which we all know is a lot fun! But yeah it really does show how talented he is, and how willing he is to put himself out there.

Well I say that he did Broadway just to purely experience something new, and he obviously enjoyed it. I don't think this will effect his regular performances with Green Day, because he was basically being his wild crazy self in American Idiot. But, who knows? Maybe he'll snag a character or two in more Broadway shows, maybe not.

When we went (me and Pols4tre ;) ) I really didn't know what or "who" to expect. I knew Billie was gonna be on that stage but was he going to be the Billie we all knew? I've never really been into musicals but American Idiot completely blew me away, and Billie preformance was amazing. Although he was playing a character, that character couldn't have been more like him so I guess he just took himself to the extreme, much like the Rev and the "character" he plays then. He's just an amazing preformer and he out did himself with this, and I think he will continue to blow us all away with the next new thing he decides to do :)

I hope he doesn't change in a bad way, even though I don't think he will. I think it could make him more of a showman which will be good for the shows :D.

Totally read that too at first!

That song is epic.

Within a week Billie Joe went from performing St. Jimmy on Broadway to taking the stage as the front man for Green Day. How many other performers can claim something like that?

I'm intrigued about what that transition has been like and whether his Broadway experience will have any effect on his performance on stage for Green Day in South America, and onwards.

If it's possible, he may have become even more of a showman! :D

What do you guys think?

I totally agree! I think the musical itself, even before he was in it, has had an effect on the way he performs. He sings Holiday slightly different now, like adding an extra little high note at the end of "...monument!" like they do in the musical. And I think he said a couple of times that he's always impressed by the voices of the cast, so it wouldn't surprise me if he took more than just the experience with him. He's the kind of person who loves to learn and improve from everything, so I'm assuming that being in the musical was just another thing thats going to make him a better performer.

Archived