6th Anniversary of American Idiot

Liam

6 years ago today American Idiot was released and is Green Day's 7th studio album.

It started in the Summer of 2003 when Green Day started recording there follow-up album to Warming (2000) called "Cigarettes and Valentines". The album was nearly finished but before they could even start mixing the master tapes were stolen from the studio. Instead of re-recording them or using the the backup tapes they decided to start fresh. The album was called American Idiot and was produced by Rob Cavallo and was released on September 21st 2004. The album consists of 13 tracks with 5 b-sides being released on singles and the American Idiot Cast album. The album chieved popularity worldwide, charting in 26 countries and reaching number one in nineteen of them and has sold over 12 million copies world wide.

American Idiot had 5 singles released (American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Jesus of Suburbia) all of which have had videos released for them as well as 1 unreleased video for Whatsername.

Since than American Idiot has adapted into 1 illegal mash-up album (American Edit by Dean Grey released in 2005), 1 musical which has won a few awards started at Berkley Rep and has now gone to Broadway with a cast album starring John Gallagher Jr. as Johnny, Michael Esper as Will, Stark Sands as Tunny, Tony Vincent as St Jimmy, Rebecca Naomi Jones as Whatsername, Mary Faber as Heather and possibly a movie for the musical.

Its now 6 years later and time to say happy birthday to American Idiot, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICAN IDIOT!!!!

american_idiot.jpg

(Yes I do realize its not the 21st in some country's but it is in Australia so i figured I'd do it now)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget, there was that one video for St. Jimmy too. :) But yes, happy birthday to the album that got me into Green Day! I remember when I first heard\saw this awesome band. I was flipping channels and I came across MTV (shocking isn't it?) and the video for American Idiot just started. I was immediately hooked. I got the album for Christmas and I fell in love. My real "obsession" with GD didn't start until 21st Century Breakdown was released. Anyways, happy birthday to this masterpiece that is American Idiot! :lol:

Don't forget, there was that one video for St. Jimmy too. :)

Well since it was only a live video from Bullet In A Bible I decided not to put it.

This album changed my life. Not only did I get into Green Day because of this album, but I also got into Rock / Punk / Alternative music. The songs on this album are some of my favorite songs of all time. This is still my favorite Green Day album. Can't believe it's been six years!

This album changed my life. Not only did I get into Green Day because of this album, but I also got into Rock / Punk / Alternative music. The songs on this album are some of my favorite songs of all time. This is still my favorite Green Day album. Can't believe it's been six years!

i feel exactly the same

happy birthday american idiot!! :blush::dance:

This album is really a masterpiece, it means so much to me and it completely changed my life. It's still my favourite album with Green Day

damn, i can't believe it's been that long already. i remember making my mom take me to best buy that night so i could buy it and then i listened to it on my cd player in my room all night long. oh, the joys of being twelve...

Happy brithday to the album that changed my life. It unfortunately isn't the best Green Day album, but it's amazing and will stay in ma' heart forever.

exactly same here! i truly agree with every sentence you wrote.

i still feel the same while listening to Blvd as so many years ago. i don't really know what else i should add.

Happy B'day dear American Idiot!

Even though American Idiot isn't my favorite Green Day album, it still changed my life and got me into this band that made my life so much better and opened my mind to something beautiful I didn't even knew existed. This album will always be in my heart. Happy Birthday American Idiot!

I can't believe it is 6 years :o that time has really flown. This was the album that got me into Green Day and other awesome music, I owe it a lot...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICAN IDIOT! :banana:

Archived