Whatsername? Hey wait a minute - Whatsername again?

J'net

Okay, for Christmas week for all you Whatsername fans (who might be interested to know that I stopped counting your votes over a month ago), this week's Song of the Week is Whatsername. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Whatsername is American Idiot's closing song and ends the album on a piercingly poignant note. American Idiot was Green Day's first album to hit #1. It debuted as #1 on the charts just one week after its release in October 2004.

Despite the fact that I've made everyone wait so long for it, you should know that I love this song. It evokes such a nostalgic yearning for that past that's been left behind.

A couple of vids for your viewing and listening enjoyment. The sound quality on the second one is surprising.

Whatsername Lyrics

Thought I ran onto you down on the street.

Then it turned out only to be a dream.

I made a point to burn all of the photographs.

She went away and then I took a different path.

I remember the face,

But I can't recall the name

Now I wonder how Whatsername has been.

Seems that she disappeared without a trace.

Did she ever marry old what's his face?

I made a point to burn all of the photographs.

She went away and then I took a different path.

I remember the face,

But I can't recall the name.

Now I wonder how Whatsername has been.

Remember, whatever

It seems like forever ago.

Remember, whatever

The regrets are useless

In my mind.

She's in my head,

I must confess.

The regrets are useless

In my mind.

She's in my head -

From so long ago – (go … go … go … go).

And in the darkest night,

If my memory serves me right,

I'll never turn back time.

Forgetting you, but not the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just love how its starts off slow and then they just throw pure Rock in your ears. Everytime i hear thins song, it just reminds me of what a master piece American Idiot really is.

I really, really, really love this song.

I never get tired of it.

Deff one of my favorites. :happy:

What a great song. I don't think they could've had a better fitted song to end the album. Forgetting you, but not the time. Perfect words to end the song. Musically, I can't even begin to describe how much I love it. The rhythm of the guitar sets the mood/atmosphere of the song.

Great choice, magnificent song. Definitely one of my favorite songs on American Idiot (if not my first favorite). Very deserving to be song of the week.

I LOVE THIS SONG! :wub: It was my favorite song for a loooong while :wub: The last line "forgetting you but not the time"... the way Billie sings it, makes you feel completely sure that he'll forget it, because is the right thing to do and all that. And Mike did a really good job there with his bass :wub:

I just listened to this the other day and got so emotional. Sometimes I don't realize how amazing it really is. It's the best closure to American Idiot they could've possibly made. I love how it builds and builds and then just explodes. I love the melody, the lyrics, the music, and Billie's voice. It's just a perfect song, definitley one of my favorites.

I SO called this being Christmas' song weeks ago! :D

I can't begin to explain my love for this song. It's so poignant and perfect.

"Forgetting you but not the time" - I love that line so much. In Jesus' year of living dangerously that is American Idiot as a whole, even with his homecoming and losing touch with Whatsername, Tunny, and of course St. Jimmy, he still remembers what he went through, and that impacted his life so much. "Then it turned out to only be a dream" shows the impact of Whatsername on his life...was this a good or a bad dream (running into her)? We don't know. Yet, he still thinks about her, she's still in his subconscious. He can burn the physical evidence of her, and attempt to act nonchalant towards her, but she's still in his head. He forgets about her during the day, but at night? He can't forget her completely, and he sure as hell can't forget the time they spent together.

It's not a love song, but it's a loving song that emphasizes, as indirectly and as nonchalantly as possible, the impact someone can have on our lives.

Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics. So much emotion in Billie's voice, and Tre and Mike just bring so much to the song (especially Mike; I adore the bass line).

So glad this is SOTW! :D

Just pulled out the American Idiot booklet from my cd there, last night because this time of year is always so nostalgic for me, especially with Green Day related stuff. I got this album for christmas after months of anticipation, 5 years ago.

I remember on xmas morning when I lied down on the floor and read through the booklet over and over and traced my fingers over the words. I'd do that alot for the next couple of years..

I just adore this song. It really is the best ending to a record (remember them?) ever.

It's so beautiful and sad and simple yet complicated.

As usual Billie Joe writes lyrics that anyone can relate to.

My favourite part:

Remember, whatever

The regrets are useless

In my mind.

She's in my head,

And in the darkest night,

If my memory serves me right,

I'll never turn back time.

Forgetting you, but not the time.

Just beautiful and such raw emotion.

Favorite Green Day song...EVER.

First Green Day song i learned on guitar.

First Green Day song i learned on piano.

Most listened to song, according to iTunes.

I remember on xmas morning when I lied down on the floor and read through the booklet over and over and traced my fingers over the words. I'd do that alot for the next couple of years..

I did the same. I'd never had an album where I followed the liner notes so closely while listening to an album before. Nearly every time I listened to that CD, I read along with the liner notes too. It just felt like I was completing a puzzle, getting the complete picture, reading AND listening to the album.

It should've been released as a single. It'd be interesting to see the video for this song.

Oh Lord, DO NOT remind me of the Whatsername video I choose to forget actually exists :lol:

I LOVE this song. Easily one of the best from American Idiot, and the best ending to anyone of Green Day's albums. I love it so much.

:lol:

Yet again, I'm going to throw this out there... I like the Whatsername video. :P

bwahaha

Still it deserved a better video and an actual release.

Archived