Vinyl Rereleases Of All GD Albums

Jimmy Strummer

I recently got the vinyl reissue of Dookie at Hot Topic, and I just put it in my turntable and started playing it. The first thing I noticed about it is that all the songs are up one step keywise (for instance, Burnout is originally in F#, but on the vinyl it's now in G). Has this happened to any of you who bought any of the new Green Day vinyl records? Or maybe some other defect?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.. I have Dookie and 1,039 / Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, but haven't played them, so I can't say :/

Hmm.. I have Dookie and 1,039 / Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, but haven't played them, so I can't say :/

I swear, the songs are higher pitched than the originals. The record itself looks fine. Maybe it's the way they wrote it on the vinyl?

I know what you mean! I have the reissued version of Nimrod, and something just sounded different on it. I couldn't tell what it was, but now that you mention it i think it is a little higher. I also had a problem on the KYE single, it sounds TOTALLY warped. But the B-Side plays normally :blink:

I think i may just have gotten a defective one. Although i can listen to KYE on the full 21CB vinyl, so i'm not complaining :P

Yeah, it's just weird. I'm so used to hearing Basket Case and Welcome To Paradise in Eb, not E. It's weird when it's warped to a higher pitch.

And it's not just side A, it's side B too!

Are you sure? did you play your guitar along with it to make sure it was a higher key?

I can just tell because I've heard the album so many times, and it is definitely higher pitched.

How about playing the CD and the vinyl at the same time? Then you can have a bit more better judgement than from memory.

Oh, trust me, I have an amazing memory. And now I'm starting to think it's not the vinyl so much as it is the turntable, because I just put in 21CB and that's been working fine up until this point, but now THAT'S getting higher-pitched. It's gotta be the needle or the turntable or something. Anyone here a wiz at that kinda thing?

Sometimes vinyl just sounds weird and different. That's what makes it so awesome.

But not like this. Up until now, everything's been on key, perfectly fine. Now the player won't play any vinyl I have in normal pitch.

Vinyl does sound different sometimes, especially newer ones. I can listen to old, '70s vinyls for hours but as soon as I put one on that been made in the last ten years or so, the sound and pitch just changes. My 21 Guns 7" sounds higher in pitch than the CD version

So it could be a warped vinyl or it could be the turntable.

So it could be a warped vinyl or it could be the turntable.

I'm beginning to think that it's not the vinyl, cause up until now, they've played just fine.

That may have happened when it was transferred to vinyl. Weird things happen like that :P

Well I finally figured out that it's the turntable because I played 21st Century Breakdown in my turntable and then in my parents' old turntable, and it was perfectly fine in my parents' turntable but higher-pitched in mine. I'm complaining to the manufacturer and I'm gonna wait for a phone call or an email.

Sometimes vinyl just sounds weird and different. That's what makes it so awesome.

indeed!!

and I just bought through ebay 39/smooth! Can't wait t get it..

hm, thats interesting...

i don't own any vinyl's so i don't really know about this stuff but i want one badly!

haha. i just got the DOOKIE cd! its my first real cd besides BIAB. haha i'm so late on things... :down:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have Nimrod and 21CB. I thought it was just my cheap turntable fucking the quality, but I guess it must be the records. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have Nimrod and 21CB. I thought it was just my cheap turntable fucking the quality, but I guess it must be the records. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

No it IS the turntable. I tried 21CB on two different turntables (mine and my parents') and mine warped the pitch, so I complained and I should get an email or phone call soon.

I wish my hot topic had vinyls

my Abbey road and my sgt. pepper original vinyls pawn all of you people's vinyls.

But not like this. Up until now, everything's been on key, perfectly fine. Now the player won't play any vinyl I have in normal pitch.

then its the player.

No it IS the turntable. I tried 21CB on two different turntables (mine and my parents') and mine warped the pitch, so I complained and I should get an email or phone call soon.

Really? My dad has a much higher quality turntable, I should try using his.

my Abbey road and my sgt. pepper original vinyls pawn all of you people's vinyls.

Ahem. I have Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road, and a vinyl-only compilation called Hey Jude. I believe I win.

If the key of the music is higher than normal, your turntable is spinning faster than it should be. Adjust your RPMs manually if you can do so on your turntable. If not, you're outta luck.

i have ripped mp3s from vinyls, and they sound much higher. i thought it was suppose to be like this, i kinda liked it lol

Archived