Comparisons To London Calling

Peel Slowly And See

Guest Shangri-La

i always thought that was Nimrod but the more i listen to this the more i have to agree..

Fabulous review by the way. Although i think a lot of people who've never talked to you before will be confused.

I basically read negative reviews of the album and said "You know what? I can say these things about any damn album."

And how can Nimrod be the defining album of the '90s when Odelay did that a year earlier?

Fabulous review by the way. Although i think a lot of people who've never talked to you before will be confused.
I anticipate that, yes. I threw it on my Facebook and I bet that no one who cares about this album will know what the hell a London Calling is.

That said, I'm actually writing another review. I probably could have written this one much better than I did, but I really have more to say about the album than just London Calling comparisons.

not a Beck fan. Who ever said Nimrod was the defining album of the 90's?

That's what London Calling is for the late '70s and early '80s. Same for albums like Exile On Main St. and Sign "O" The Times.

There are various reincarnations of Exile On Main St. throughout the decades, and it's been thirteen years since the last one. We finally have it.

The rules for the reincarnations are...

The album needs to vary greatly sonically.

The album needs to sum up something about the state of the world and music.

The album needs to not be able to fit onto a single LP.

Shit like that.

Wait, is this a review about 21CB or about how bad London Calling is ? And what are you giving the A+ to LC or 21CB?

Sorry if I sound really stupid, it's just confusing to me.

Guest Shangri-La
That's what London Calling is for the late '70s and early '80s. Same for albums like Exile On Main St. and Sign "O" The Times.

There are various reincarnations of Exile On Main St. throughout the decades, and it's been thirteen years since the last one. We finally have it.

The rules for the reincarnations are...

The album needs to vary greatly sonically.

The album needs to sum up something about the state of the world and music.

The album needs to not be able to fit onto a single LP.

Shit like that.

I agree with you but Nimrod WASNT London Calling. If any part of nimrod was a defining essence of the 90's it was Good Riddance, but that's about it.

Wait, is this a review about 21CB or about how bad London Calling is ? And what are you giving the A+ to LC or 21CB?

Sorry if I sound really stupid, it's just confusing to me.

It's a review or 21cb. and A+ to both.

I agree with you but Nimrod WASNT London Calling. If any part of nimrod was a defining essence of the 90's it was Good Riddance, but that's about it.

I know. I never said Nimrod was a London Calling.

Also, the review is a parody, applying common criticisms of the new album to London Calling.

And yeah. It's the eleventh A+ I've ever given out.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Guest Shangri-La
I know. I never said Nimrod was a London Calling.

Also, the review is a parody, applying common criticisms of the new album to London Calling.

And yeah. It's the eleventh A+ I've ever given out.

Ah. I thought that's what you were saying. my bad.

http://freetexthost.com/odci2a026v

Read my review there.

Is anybody else feeling like this is a London Calling of our time? Why or why not?

You do have a weird sense of humor, young man! :D

Looking at your reincarnation rules, I'd have to say yes, 21stCB could be the London Calling of our time.

For me personally it's not. Fortunately, as I like 21stCB so much better than LC, and generally like Green Day so much better than the Clash (I'm sure Mike Dirnt

would kick my ass for this :D ).

I think it's unsettling that your computer has a gender.

:lol: Well done sir!

Yup, people are being that stupid about it and yeah I think it is a LC of our time in a way - even though LC is timeless :)

Haha that's so clever! And just what the doctor ordered too, these bloody stupid reviews were starting to get on my wick. What can I say except I agree, the album is simply amazing.

Yeah, I don't think it's a London Calling, at all. But that was cleverly done.

Haha, well done :lol:

Idk if I agree with all this, but I really like 21CD. Defenitely a great album.

Excellent review, extremely cleverly written. And the comparisons are spot on.

I think London Calling is overall a better record than 21CB, but I think that when you compare London Calling to the music that was around at the time, and you compare 21CB to the music that's around now, it's the same effect and the same idea. I just think musical quality in general has declined since London Calling, which for me goes hand in hand with London Calling being a better record.

So I agree with 21CB being a London Calling, but they're not equal in terms of musical quality. Just in terms of what they've done for the genre, the band and the musical scene in general.

:D I liked the review.

I was actually thinking of London Calling, when I was listening yesterday to 21st Century Breakdown for the first time in full and in the proper order of the songs. Just because of the diversity of the songs. And that I always hated it, when people were bashing Green Day for being less punk because of, well, pop influences, whereas the same people were praising London Calling as THE punk album, not noticing the soppy pop songs on it. Or claiming that it is somehow different, because it was The Clash.

And I was thinking how much more bad ass The Clash appear to me now, because they didn't need 7 records practisizing before they could make this amazing album. :P

No, seriously, I never liked this "Green Day has to own up to the legacy of The Clash"-approach anyway. The Clash were so legendary, because among other reasons of their uniqueness and sincerity. In my opinion, those two attributes always fitted Green Day as well right from the beginning up to this last wonderful album.

And the album indeed deserves more than a comparison to London Calling, and that's why I am looking forward to your next review. :)

FYI, London Calling is certainly better, but I definitely felt the need to take down some of the negative reviews.

Archived