Veterans of Green Day

SynthwaveTrooper

Well, I've been a fan since 2005 so 9 more years and then I can brag

Jesus, in 9 years us Vets of today will be heads in Bottles with GD playing in them. O.o

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember sitting around at this place we used to call "Extended Day" (kind of like a Boys & Girls Club for Catholic school kids, like myself) and my buddy Dave used to have this old school CD, the case was cloth, and it was 39 smooth. The teachers used to get PISSED when we'd play Knowledge.

I notice a trend w/ Catholic schools. Oddly enough, I went to a Christian school :lol: Pattern? Confused, lost youth gravitating toward Green Day. At least I was :)

It's really quite an achievement that the band has basically repeated themselves in term of success in the last few years. The fact that tons of the people at the shows got into them only in the last couple of years is a testament to that. I couldn't believe it when American Idiot did what it did. I mean I saw Green Day play at Warped in 2000 and it seriously looked like their huge days were over.

Paper Lanterns is the fuckin shit!!!! I love that song.

How about when you reached the age to figure out what most of the tracks were about and shit. Like smoking pot and shit. I loved Christie Road but had no clue it was about pot until I started smoking it, lol.

Oh i know what you mean! I usually figured out waht the songs were about by the drawing inside the dookie cd booklet.

Did you ever pick up the copy of "Dookie" that Ernie was on the back, Oh man i wish i still had that CD case of that.

It's really quite an achievement that the band has basically repeated themselves in term of success in the last few years. The fact that tons of the people at the shows got into them only in the last couple of years is a testament to that. I couldn't believe it when American Idiot did what it did. I mean I saw Green Day play at Warped in 2000 and it seriously looked like their huge days were over.

Oh i know what you mean, when warning. came out it did seem like it was the last of the gravy days.

I notice a trend w/ Catholic schools. Oddly enough, I went to a Christian school :lol: Pattern? Confused, lost youth gravitating toward Green Day. At least I was :)

Yup, I feel the same way.

Green Day was something I felt I belonged to, they were my voice. They said things I was feeling, about authority, about girls, about life. When a band can touch you like that, it's something special.

Oh i know what you mean! I usually figured out waht the songs were about by the drawing inside the dookie cd booklet.

Did you ever pick up the copy of "Dookie" that Ernie was on the back, Oh man i wish i still had that CD case of that.

Oh i know what you mean, when warning. came out it did seem like it was the last of the gravy days.

Man, I still got the copy of Dookie with Ernie on the back, that was the shit!!!

That stuff totally flew over my head as a 11 year old kid. Back then it was only the melodies that got to me. In middle school it hit me on an emotional level.

I still have two copies with Ernie on the back, ha.

I still have mine :) Proudly. Ever read that letter he wrote to the angry mother that wrote him?

Green Day holds a seriously special spot in my heart for all sorts of different reasons that I really... Don't want to get into. Suffice it to say, Green Day are my favorite band, but not my favorite type of music. Make sense? No, no it does not.

Think about the song Havin A Blast

You think it could come out today like it did back then? They might have thought GD was trying to tell kids to blow shit up or they might think they are some kinda punk terrorists, my how times have changed.

I still have mine :) Proudly. Ever read that letter he wrote to the angry mother that wrote him?

Ha. I've read that letter. It's great. I believe he actually quoted himself "I do what I want and you do what you're told" in Nimrod's "Reject." God Nimrod and Warning are ancient Green Day now.

now i'm jealous of you vets for having Ernie in the back

I found and bought one like 2 months ago. There are still a few out there

I remember the angry mom letter, that was crazy shit.

Do you remember "I Wanna Be Billie Joe" by Watt Tyler? it came out on Lookout.

Ok how many of you had the Dookie Album Cover T-Shirt (but it wasnt like the Full Cover it's self, it was the Blast with the bands name and some of the buildings). That shirt was stolen from me :(

I remember the angry mom letter, that was crazy shit.

Do you remember "I Wanna Be Billie Joe" by Watt Tyler? it came out on Lookout.

I've heard of that before but haven't actually HEARD it. I like "I Wrote Holden Caufield" by Screeching Weasel, funny reference.

I like being referred to as 'a vet' :lol:

actually, i'm quite welcome in this thread. i've been listening to Green Day since birth; so, yes i may revel.

A technicality :sherlock: lol

Green Day holds a seriously special spot in my heart for all sorts of different reasons that I really... Don't want to get into. Suffice it to say, Green Day are my favorite band, but not my favorite type of music. Make sense? No, no it does not.

Yes, it does. Punk isn't my favorite kind of music, either. If you consider them 'punk' I really don't anymore. But they have always been and will remain my favorite band, even if I take up Tahitian throat chanting. They transcend labels and like I said, they own everybody.

And I also understand it being 'personal'. Sometimes a connection is made to something that can't be explained, nor would you want to. Or memories are made that are personal. Any way you look at it, everybody's story is different. The point is, you're a fan :happy:

Ok how many of you had the Dookie Album Cover T-Shirt (but it wasnt like the Full Cover it's self, it was the Blast with the bands name and some of the buildings). That shirt was stolen from me :(

They never made my size in T-Shirts, they still don't :-(

WTF Green Day, don't you know some of your fans are fat!

I'd sport a classic GD shirt on an album cover for God sakes.

I've been a fan of the band pretty much my whole life. I started listening to them when Dookie came out, because my dad was a big fan of them at the time. He bought Dookie the day it came out and used to dance around the room with me in his arms :) We used to headbang together!

He used to take days off work to watch me when I had days off kindergarten and my mom was out working. And I remember one day when she came back and my dad was trying to get me to sing along to Longview, and she came into the room screaming 'WHAT THE HELL DAN YOU CAN'T LET HER LISTEN TO THIS SHIT! SHE'S NOT OLD ENOUGH!!! SHE HAS NO IDEA WHAT MASTURBATION IS!'

It was one of those traumatic moments that you can remember forever.

My mom was not pleased when I found Dookie hidden in their cd collection 8 years later and rediscovered the band :D

Am I allowed? 12 years counts? I remember hearing When I come around when I was around 4. Of course I was too young know how to get their music, but I did love it!

Ah screw it.

You had an original? I know they have started reprinting those in the last few years. They sell them at Hot Topic of all places. I used to have that Nimrod shirt with the guy hitting his head with hammers. Wore it on my first day of high school, thought I was so punk, ha. Nowadays I can't wear Green Day shirts cuz of my tattoo, I don't want to look obsessed (even though I am).

I've seen it around, but never bought it. I just couldn't wear shit on my shirt :lol: And there's also a hilarious one w/ a dude pissing in an alley, I think it's a Kerplunk era shirt. I do have the Kerplunk cover shirt.

HOW MANY OF YOU VETS HAVE TATTOOOOOOS??? :woot:

I do :wub:

Archived