21st Century Breakdown Font

Rusty Enzo James

Hi guys!

Please forgive me if i'm posting in the wrong section.

I've got just a simple question for you: does anybody know which font is used to write "Green Day" on the cover art you linked?

Thank you!

Jos from Basket Rage, Green Day Italian Tribute.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken, the word "Authority" on the GDA banner seems written with the same font

Or, at least, very similar

i dunno, and where is every one getting the picture that just says green day in the new font??? have they just cropped it from the album artwork??

No doubt it's a custom font. But i've looked for something similiar to it. And no, the "Authority" on GDA's banner isn't the same font. The GD one is much "box'ier"

I'm sure some graphics person made the font especially for the album. Someone will bring out a clone.

If it was the guy who does the art, it was probably Chris Bilheimer. But I doubt the font is on the web yet then.

Sometimes it really isn't a font. It might just be hand drawn and live traced (Adobe Illustrator has a thing called Live Trace you use to convert drawings into vectors).

it might have been designed for that cover

Nah it looks like a font for sure. They have been using the font for advertisement purposes aswell. That seems very cost ineffective to have the artist draw it for each ad.

Nah it looks like a font for sure. They have been using the font for advertisement purposes aswell. That seems very cost ineffective to have the artist draw it for each ad.

The E's are different, which makes it seem like it might not be a font. And just because it has been used in several ads doesn't mean it's an actual font. Eventually you might find a font close or they may turn it into a font, but I really think it's just a sketch Live Traced and Live Painted at the moment. And it's not cost ineffective. You only have to sketch parts of if new each time. It wouldn't be hard.

And the person who designed the font doesn't need to hand-draw each one after that. They probably drew a few variations that the band/label can start using on all sorts of things.

And the person who designed the font doesn't need to hand-draw each one after that. They probably drew a few variations that the band/label can start using on all sorts of things.

Yeah I guess so dude.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's done. And if it's the same guy who has done all the albums since Nimrod, I'm sure he wouldn't mind creating the different ones. If you make them right you don't even have to recreate letters. You just "create outlines" or some such and drag the individual letters into the new place you want them. It's very simple.

Archived