"Booze Lobby Targets Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong"

farley drexel hatcher

I just found this article on Spin magazine about an advert in the New York Times featuring mugshots of apparent "hard core drunk drivers" (Billie included).

"The American Beverage Institute, lobbying against legislation that would make in-car breathalyzers mandatory, calls out Green Day frontman's DWI arrest in fight to preserve "moderate and responsible drinking."

The rest is here:

http://www.spinmagazine.com/blog/booze-lob...e-joe-armstrong

I'm not sure what to make of this. Are they even allowed to use those photos? I'm not saying in anyway what Billie did is excuseable, because it isn't, but to point out three people for something hundreds of thousands of people have done isn't fair, in my opinion. I don't know what point they're trying to make using the photos. It doesn't make much sense.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez, you think they could have found someone other than a guy with one DUI 5 years ago? Mel Gibson, anybody?

Mugshots are matter of public record, so of course they can use them.

Using the celebrities is a little puzzling though, I think everyone on the face of the planet knows how bad drunk driving is, there's no need to use celebrities as a gimmick tool.

I just found this article on Spin magazine about an advert in the New York Times featuring mugshots of apparent "hard core drunk drivers" (Billie included).

"The American Beverage Institute, lobbying against legislation that would make in-car breathalyzers mandatory, calls out Green Day frontman's DWI arrest in fight to preserve "moderate and responsible drinking."

The rest is here:

http://www.spinmagazine.com/blog/booze-lob...e-joe-armstrong

I'm not sure what to make of this. Are they even allowed to use those photos? I'm not saying in anyway what Billie did is excuseable, because it isn't, but to point out three people for something hundreds of thousands of people have done isn't fair, in my opinion. I don't know what point they're trying to make using the photos. It doesn't make much sense.

It's a lobbying group for alcohol companies, of course they're not going to be fair or honest in their dealings. They also know that Billie isn't a hard-core alcoholic--they're using his picture because it will get lots of attention. It's just propaganda.

What Billie did ain't cool, but people shouldn't write articles like that. :lol:

I mean, its stupid.

There's so many other people who drink and drive.

but oh well. I don't really care.

(that mug shot is hilarious by the way. :lol: )

i think they are obviously not a green day fan.

okay, on a serious note. I am honestly not sure if they are allowed to use those pictures or not.

plus, if i remember correctly, wasnt that DUI from 2000-2002? Why pick something so, old?

and i think dedicating a whole article focusing on one person is pointless, not to mention somewhat degrading.

plus, if i remember correctly, wasnt that DUI from 2000-2002? Why pick something so, old?

yeh, it was 5 years ago.

i think they've achieved the opposite effect to what they wanted. yes, more people might read the article coz it has Billie in, but using someone that got 1 offence 5 years ago is just a bit stupid. makes me not want to bother to really read what the article's actually about.

This is ridiculous. What he did was wrong but at the end of the day he was arrested and punished to the extent of the law already. He's paid his debt and doesn't owe anyone anything, and doesn't deserve this shit.

And come on, surely they could have found a worse example of drink driving than this old news? Maybe a genuinely "hardcore" offender who's actually harmed someone or has repeated the offence.

They've just done it because he's famous and he looks so rough in his mugshot. I hope he takes action against it, they shouldn't have the right to do that to anyone.

It is a tad ridiculous to have used a picture of something he did in 2003.

What he did isn't okay... but as the article says, he probably is thankful that he didn't kill anyone, and it's not like the man's done it since.

They're just using it because using Billie Joe's picture will garner them more publicity.

And come on, surely they could have found a worse example of drink driving than this old news?

like paris hilton or lindsey lohan :lol:

not like i even know about their dui's, im just throwing around names that usually grabbed attention

It's a lobbying group for alcohol companies, of course they're not going to be fair or honest in their dealings.

The lobbying groups against alcohol are just as dishonest and unfair.

Poor Billiam. Not one of his best shots. I think that they have probably used a pic if him because of the amount of fans they gained off the back of American Idiot. Although I wouldn't ever condone what he did, you can hardly call him a 'hard-core drunk driver' for a one time offence. People like Lindsey and her talentless mates are always in the news being pushed in the faces of anyone who pics up a magazine, you would think they would use them.

OMG I could think of a bunch of better examples than billie joe. WTF. I really don't think that they are going to get their point across with this.

OMG I could think of a bunch of better examples than billie joe. WTF. I really don't think that they are going to get their point across with this.

They already didn't :lol:

As you can tell by the Spin article and the response it's getting here.

its a good article but the use of the picture really brings it down;

a five year old photo of a one time offender demeans the entire thing.

yeh exactly. i think they deserve a FAIL.

Maybe they should show pictures of what the worst DUIs are like?

I would post a link, but no. Just no.

To play devil's advocate, I'm sure if it were Lindsay Lohan you'd all be saying "stupid bitch deserves it".

I think using mugshots at all demeans the whole thing, to be honest

Even if they used someone else, someone more 'worthy', it's still a cheap shot, and like someone else said, just really gimmicky. I wouldn't agree with it no matter who it was.

To play devil's advocate, I'm sure if it were Lindsay Lohan you'd all be saying "stupid bitch deserves it".

if she had 1 DUI from 5 years ago like Billie, i'd think the same thing.

I see what you mean but I don't really think you can compare Lindsay lohan to billie joe...... Lindsay purposely is looking for attention.

I see what you mean but I don't really think you can compare Lindsay lohan to billie joe...... Lindsay purposely is looking for attention.

I'm sure she would have preferred not to get caught.

Fit. In Mean Girls, anyway.

Archived