Would Green Day be where they are if American Idiot was their first and only album?

Xihix

i still would have bought ai but i dont think they would of been a big thing if all they had was ai. and biab wouldnt exist. and that would suck. so no i dont think Green Day would be where they are with only ai

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

younger people think ai is grteendays first album anyway....

people who liked dookie would have more of an appreciation of ai (in my mind at least)

I don't think they'd be such a big band, maybe only for a short period. I think that through all of the cds they've made,they've built a character and this wouldn't exist if ai was their first album

i no what idiots like u could go past albums such as dookie and insomniac there like legend albums

what? :unsure: english please?

is this what you mean:

i know, what idiots like you could go past albums such as dookie and insomniac, there like legend albums.

i think you're the idiot cause for some reason you didn't get what i was saying which leaves me to believe that you're an idiot :/

No. They would not have the "punk" fan base that they have now if AI was the first. Plus, there would not be as many hard core devoted fans.

Yes, because it would be very advertised by the record company and many people who are fans today never knew they exsisted before AI. I think it would be bigger because people would have nothing to compare it to so it would be this band whos first album was amazing.

definately not. Dookie and Nimrod pushed them up to a high level and AI put them over the edge.

Guest Quietus

They would probably be a one hit wonder, with BoBD or WMUWSE. They would be popular for a while, but they would quickly fade. There would be many less interviews and awards, because they would just be another band trying to cut it in the mainstream world of look-a-likes and plenty to go around.

The reason AI hit so big is because it was this major 'comeback' for them. Everyone thought the band was dying, and BAM! Here comes this power packed CD with some singles in the making. The media latches on to the political side, the teenies pick up the emotional side, and everyone raves about how Green Day became the biggest band on the plant when instead they should've burnout.

It also doesn't hurt that is album is much more complex than their other albums, which makes everyone rave about how they've grown and evolved. It was because of what was happening with their last few albums and the style of their other albums that made AI seem so incredible to the media.

If the album hadn't been their 'save', then the media wouldn't have an amazing underdog punk band going mainstream story to tell, and they might just brush over AI with little interest.

well a lot of people seem to think that ai is their one and only album so i doubt it would make a difference, a lot of the new fans don't seem to give a shit about their older stuff neither does the media.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

if dookie was never released, the mainstream would probably be different now and i doubt that a band like green day would stand much of a chance in that musical climate.

also, green day is far from a political band.

Word :thumbsup:

i think that some people thinks yes and some no, because not everyone like american idiot more than dookie or something.. others think american idiot is better than all others.. i dont know

At first I thought 'yes', then I read mclaren's first post and realized that no, they probabaly wouldn't.

They would win "FAVORITE NEW BAND OF THE YEAR " kind of shit .

haha yeah! they would b like start again everything with the media and the news and ther lives and omg u know everything.but it wouldnt b the same without the dookie album, its just weird because thats like the one that all of a suddden broght them to the top and without it, well i would b their fan, but they wouldnt b my favorite band. :blink: its really confusing

No, they just wouldn't be anywhere near as big, they'd be like as big as um...fall out boy or something.

I can't explain how but they just wouldn't be this far.

no i dont think they would be where they are. because it would seem like they only knew about politics and cant write good funny songs.

ok when ai came out. i heard it on the radio and loved it. ( imean like the whole cd). welllafter a month, i looked up all the music they made up. and i loved it all to death and realized i heard it before but never realized it. ai started it but i love their older stuff more. i think most of the preppy fags would have never even givin it a second thought to hmm i wonder what their older better stuff is. my absolute favorite cd is nimrod or warning

so i am not just a new fucking ai fan. i like GREEN DAY not american idiot.

IPB Image

IPB Image

nope :)

Just imagine having American Idiot overplayed all the time on the radio and no other Green Day albums to listen to. I would get really annoyed.

Archived