GD's 'Warning'

justcause

'Warning' was the album that made many people think that GD was on the way out; they flirted with any number of musical style, Billie is Sinatra-smooth at times - it's a natural progression from Nimrod, and I think it's the first showing of the range tht would go on to produce AI.

So - it's a transitional album, justified. But does it stand on its own merits as a GD album? I don't think so.

Briefly - Waiting, Minority, Macy's - top-notch, iconic GD. Church on Sunday - searing lyric, but the music is a total Elvis Costello try-out thing, and I don't think it works.

Blood, Sex and Booze - su-fucking-perb!

All the rest - well, could do better, boys!

Except, of course, for the knock-out live version of 86, which just makes you long for Insomniac.

And to think Shennanigans lay ahead! Ah, troubled times, you know I cannot lie!

Anyone else got an opinion?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you a critic or something? i didn't find it punny.

i disagree. i think warning was a great album; the fact that it was different and "less punk" is what made it great. the band was experimenting like they did in nimrod.

you couldn't expect shenanigans to be amazing anyway since it was a bunch of B-sides, but i think it was a very enjoyable CD.

that's just my opinion though

i disagree. i think warning was a great album; the fact that it was different and "less punk" is what made it great. the band was experimenting like they did in nimrod.

i did too.

just cause it doesnt sound punk doesnt mean it cant be a great album.

I think "Warning" is a great album. Its degree of "punkness" is unimportant to me; I just like good music and this most certainly qualifies.

sorry if i sound offensive, but I don't think you have the right to say that Warning doesn't "stand on its own merits as a GD album"

When Green day started all this, 16 years ago, they didn't come out and say, "We are punk. Our music is punk. Our music is going to stay the same, and so are we, for the rest of our career."

Every single goddamned album is different. Every one. Just because they tried soemthing a lot different doesn't mean, it's bad. Just because something isn't like every other GD albums, doesn't mean it doesn't stand up to "GD standards"

They neevr set standards for their music, and neither should you as a fan. Just respect everything they put out, and enjoy it. If you like some more than others, state it exactly as that.

Guest Immortality

No. Warning was wonderful, punk or not. The music was good, and that's all that matters. Green Day was evolving and growing, what's so bad about that?

i did too.

You both are right.

A band doesn't strive to be punk. They are punk. Trying to be punk is what makes a band not punk. What they have done is nothing but punk, because they have tried something new, and not scared who called them sell outs.

i did too.

yea, exactly. green day's other album's never sounded too "punky" either and i still like those. but who the hell am i to talk? i like soft cell and hanson...

Who gives a shit what is sounded like. It had punk moments lyrically...I'm not going to get into this discussion.

What I was trying to do is provoke discussion - does everyone think that being a fan means never thinking, for instance, whether one track is better musically than another?

I think what I'm getting back here is mosre about the idea of loyalty to the band - I'd assume everyone here is a loyal fan, including me - that doesn't mean you stop looking at thngs with a critical eye. Green Day's music is good enough to stand up to scrutiny,and it's interesting to discuss whre they were at , one time or another. To me, this is where they more or less left their punk style of music behind - that's all I was saying. Not their punk attitude, guys - that's forever.

Nobody has mentioned any of the points I made - just how dare I make them!

I dare because I have every right - I'm invested in them and their music, I care.

How can you guys talk about what's punk, and jump on someone for having an opinion? How fucking punk is that?!

How can you guys talk about what's punk, and jump on someone for having an opinion? How fucking punk is that?!

umm... you were the one talking about the album being punk or not. :dry: most of us would probably have issues attempting to care less.

I love Warning.

Don't worry if it's 'punk' or not, and if you like it just listen to it. If you don't, then don't listen to it and shut the fuck up.

Green Day = Punk.

Doing something that they want, while not trying to please anyone, seems punk enough for me to buy it.

No, Warning isn't as hardcore simple chords and songs about jacking off and getting high, but I dont think Green Day writes anything to try and be up to par on someones criticism of what they define as punk.

sorry if i sound offensive, but I don't think you have the right to say that Warning doesn't "stand on its own merits as a GD album"

When Green day started all this, 16 years ago, they didn't come out and say, "We are punk. Our music is punk. Our music is going to stay the same, and so are we, for the rest of our career."

Every single goddamned album is different. Every one. Just because they tried soemthing a lot different doesn't mean, it's bad. Just because something isn't like every other GD albums, doesn't mean it doesn't stand up to "GD standards"

They neevr set standards for their music, and neither should you as a fan. Just respect everything they put out, and enjoy it. If you like some more than others, state it exactly as that.

I think I did state that, if you taek a look at my post. 'They never set standards for their music' - I think GD would disagree. They set high standards, and they work hard to reach them. If you mean that they don't limit themselves to one kind of music, I'd agree, and again, if you read my post, you'll see I thought this was the beginning of the range that brouhgt thme to American Idiot. This is not disloyalty, it's just discussion!

i say, if you're taking the time to argue if an album is "punk" or not, you're trying way to fucking hard. who cares if you or anyone else considers it to be punk? if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. but if you're not gonna like something just because it's not considered "punk", or even like something because it's considered "punk" (or anything else), then you're trying way to hard to force a label on yourself, and most likely aren't actually portraying your real self at all.

i don't know, i like to listen to it once in a while but it got boring quick for me, but it still is awesome sounding and was well made and everything, i masturbate to it all the time you know . . . .

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Abso-fucking-lutly. I could play that on guitar all day. Yes, I still believe it's got some great punk lyrics, and I agree with Andres.

Green Day = Punk.

Doing something that they want, while not trying to please anyone, seems punk enough for me to buy it.

No, Warning isn't as hardcore simple chords and songs about jacking off and getting high, but I dont think Green Day writes anything to try and be up to par on someones criticism of what they define as punk.

Their songs about jacking off weren't really just about jacking off, either.

I meant, punk in the sense of rapid guitar and all that style of music entails - not punk in attitude.

If Green DAy were consciously trying to be one thing or another, they wouldn't be GreenDAy.

All I was saying is that here is where they left that style of music behind more or less for good - I didn't say that was a bad thing either.

Did anyone actually read my post, because no-one has addressed anythng outside of the title?!

Haha, no one reads the first post. They just read other people's posts and get angry at the same things other people are getting angry at.

Haha, no one reads the first post. They just read other people's posts and get angry at the same things other people are getting angry at.

So now I know...! Well, as Mr. Armstrong says, 'another lesson learned'. I should go now, a bunch of people want to burn me at the stake! :thumbsup:

Archived